Eldar vs Marine Templar match-up - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar vs Marine Templar match-up

Hi, my brother and I have been debating which of our latest lists (mine is footslogging Black Templar and his is a hybrid mech Eldar list) is better suited for dealing with the other. I figured Id post them here for your opinions (on the Eldar board because everyone knows about space marines but not everyone knows about Eldar). We'd play it out but we're both about 250points shy of these lists + whoever loses would just conclude that it's because of the list and not generalship.

Both lists are designed as all-comer lists and we didn't have each other in mind when designing them..I hope. Our respective 1500 lists:

156: Marshal – Iron Halo, Twin LC, Artificier Armour, Frag Grenade (Gives everyone leadership 10 )
    140: Emperor’s Champion – Accept Any Challenge (Everyone gets the preferred enemy special rule besides Neophytes, our scouts,

173: Dreadnought – Venerable, Twin Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Tank Hunting Skill, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

255: Crusader Squad (7 Neophytes, 10 Initiates) – ccws/bps + Powerfist + Meltagun
    255: Crusader Squad (7 Neophytes, 10 Initiates) – ccws/bps + Powerfist + Meltagun
    111: Crusader Squad (1 Neophyte, 5 Initiates) – bolters + Lascannon + Plasma Gun

153: Predator Annihilator – Lascannons, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

8KPs

Special rule to note is righteous zeal, if a squad loses a man they take a morale check and if they pass consolidate forwards, falling back if they fail. Must consolidate towards the nearest enemy. Also if I can, I must assault when in range (besides the Dread).

My brother's:

145: Farseer – Runes of Warding, Spirit Stone, Doom, Fortune
    140: Autarch - Eldar Jetbike, Laser Lance, Fusion Gun, Mandiblasters

96: 6 Fire Dragons
    165: 8 Striking Scorpions - Exarch w. Scorpion's Claw, Biting Blade, Stalk

128:10 Guardians - w. Scatter Laser, Warlock - Embolden, Singing Spear
    128:10 Guardians - w. Scatter Laser, Warlock - Embolden, Singing Spear
    292: Dire Avengers Exarch with Power Weapon and Shimmershield, Defend
    +Wave Serpent: Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launchers, Twin-Linked Shruiken Catapults, Spirit Stone

222: 5 Shining Spears - Exarch w. Withdraw, Skilled Riders

180: Falcon - Eldar Missile Launcher, Holo-Field, Spirit

10KPs

Fire dragons in Falcon and Autarch with Shining Spears. They form his mechanised wing I suppose with his Farseer accompanying a Guardian squad and his Striking Scorpions defending them. I think his Shining Spears will be out of place against my army and that's a lot of points to not be doing much. Ive done the math and if he charges a full strength squad even with shooting beforehand he will get owned, though I suppose he probably wouldnt do that anyway.

I like my list and he likes his list in this bout so who is right?

Last edited by B.Templar; August 6th, 2009 at 19:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

A good friend of mine runs Black Templars, and I am honestly surprised this list does not have any Land Raiders. Nevertheless, you have the obligatory Emperor's Champion.
    I think you have a clear advantage over the Eldar list.

However, I would do the following changes to the Eldar list:
    -A Seer Council perhaps on Jetbikes is better than an Autarch with Shining Spears.
    -Swap out all the Guardians for Dire Avengers or at least make them Storm Guardians.
    -Remove the Falcon, take a Wave Serpent instead.
    -This is a preference issue, but I like Cannons over EML.
    -Another preference issue, take more Fire Dragons.
    -Why does an Eldar list have an empty elites slot? Put something in there. Perhaps banshees or Scorpions.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Banshees or Dragons instead of the scorpions, sence you know your playing marines. The marine save is too good to give them armor saves. Might want to stick another vehicle in some place, eldar can't handle being shot at due to their low toughness and armor. For the same points as your falcon you can try taking 3 warwalkers with scatter lasers, even though they'll get armor saves, forcing then to take that many saves ensures at least 5 dead.

-Jen

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright Ill count that as BT:2 Eldar: 0 .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Zora Blade View Post
    For the same points as your falcon you can try taking 3 warwalkers with scatter lasers, even though they'll get armor saves, forcing then to take that many saves ensures at least 5 dead.
    Very yes!
    I thought I was the only person that loved War Walkers

Quote Originally Posted by B.Templar View Post
    Alright Ill count that as BT:2 Eldar: 0 .
    You came to the Eldar board. Obviously we are able to see more flaws with the Eldar list than something we are less familiar with. We're not saying that the Eldar list is undeniably inferior, we're stating that Eldar could easily be better given the choices.

Take note that you said these were all-comer's lists. This Eldar list could probably take on Orks and Guard to a moderate degree. However, your Templar's lack of transports would be a terrible matchup against those same armies.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Yeah, this kid isn't really looking for advice on either list haha. He's just trying to shove his brothers face in something.

He's making your lascannons nearly obsolete by having a vehicle with an energy field and another with holo fields. and you've paid a lot of points for a lot of them. Also, the melta guns are pretty much useless in comparison to other choices you could take for his list.

Both lists are pretty novice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudArchitect View Post
    Yeah, this kid isn't really looking for advice on either list haha. He's just trying to shove his brothers face in something.
    hehe yes, guilty as charged XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why doesn't your brother have dark reaper? They are the ultimate foot slogging marine killers. If he takes them, then youre going to be in deep... well you get the point.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfury View Post
    Why doesn't your brother have dark reaper? They are the ultimate foot slogging marine killers. If he takes them, then youre going to be in deep... well you get the point.
    Not against Templars. Templars can simply take the reaper woundson the scouts and lose little.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, 5 barebone dark reapers would only kill 3 neophytes through a round of shooting (no cover saves)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast