Prepare for Ludicrous Speed!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Prepare for Ludicrous Speed!!!

I have a question about engaging ludicrous speed on eldar tanks ^_^
    do star engines affect or may affect ramming
    i am not sure if it is specified that ramming may only be performed during movement phase, if not, would star engines contribute to the distance bonus?

thanks in advance =)
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

you do not need star engines

24"+ 12 av + tank bonus = S10!!!

last game i self destructed for the lulz a fire prism into a monolith. both got wrecked result.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Question is... it is not Strength... it is bonus to strength... can it go above 10?
    and moving 24" can only give you +7 str because it says for every FULL 3".. so by moving 24 you only move full 21"... at least that is my take on it, correct me if you think i am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You, star engines may not contribute, for various reasons. Ramming is a special form of tank shocking and is executed in the same way, in other words you declare that you are ramming in your movement phase. The main differences are that you always move at full speed and forgo your shooting. Since Star Engines are used in lieu of shooting you see the problem here, also you can't declare a Tank Shock in your shooting phase, thus you can't declare that you are Ramming either.

And yes, we can only take advantage of 21", since it is quite doubtful that one would succeed at ramming at exactly 24" and not 23.997" or similar. I theory I guess it is possibly, but in reality it is not. Also, the odds that your opponent are exactly that far away are astronomically small.

And no, I don't think anything can ever count as more than S10, no matter how many bonuses you add on. Well, except for the armour penetration dice you add to your strength.. >.>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I'd like to see the entry where it says that you can only do it in the movement phase.

There have been dozens of topics and discussions going both ways on the matter. The rules say whenever a vehicle moves. Star engines are a form of movement. 40k, being a permissive ruleset, gives me a time when I can tank shock or ram: When I'm moving. Star Engines are a form of movement in the shooting phase. I can ram when I move, not in the movement phase. for 90% of vehicles, its a non issue, you can't move in the shooting phase. Eldar can.

Now, to play the other side of the fence, it opens up a can of worms, that means that I can move past you, flat out, end my turn facing your rear armour, then tank shock you, as the Tank ramming rules state you count all movement this unit mate this turn. Not this phase, not this second, this turn, including movement AND shooting phase. This is probably not intended, but the rules say you can.

But to answer the OPs question, IF you can ram in the movement phase is up to debate (there has never been a definitive post regarding it.), but if you can, then yes, star engines count for distance travelled, as the rules written specifically say to count ALL movement this turn, and not this phase.

So...yes, but not really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agre with cKerensky I just checked the rules and it says a tank shock can be used when moving, not just in the movement faze....so who knows...go ahead and argue one way or another, I wanna see where this leads
    I serve my master and do as he wants. He wants the badlands, thus they will be his.
    -Shriva the Damned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note posting this w/o BRB to hand. so a little hazy.

Ramming by Star Eng in Shooting phase overall seems a valid suggestion. However arent the rules clear(er) that when measuring distances for ramming (or flat out) the distance is a straight line from start point to end point, so zig-zagging and back tracking doesnt count.

So the following example reduces cKerenskys measurement of "All Movement this Turn"
    * Moving Phase - move forward (eg 21+") and go PAST target. to gat an angle on Rear Armour,
    * Shooting Phase - use Star End to double back (eg 3-") & Ram Rear Armour
    BUT this means oveall TURN movement measured by rules is 18"
    AND SO reduces the Str bonus per 3" moved.

Oh for yet anther updated FAQ.
    Lugganath Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

We look at the tank shock rules:

"When moving a tank, the player can declare that the vehicle is going to attempt to make a tank shock attack instead of moving normally."

I'd like to argue that Star Engines are not normal movement, but I'm sure some people would like to interpret it the other way around.

Regardless of this I was going to argue that since you can't shoot when ramming you can't use Star Engines when ramming either. But after reading the Eldar FAQ I will have to remove that argument, I don't want to quote it all since it's a huge block of text, but it is in the Eldar Errata & FAQ. The short version is that as long as it does not shoot or embark/disembark troops that turn it may use Star Engines.

+ Reply to Thread