Fire Dragons - suicide unit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire Dragons - suicide unit?

Fire Dragons have always bugged me. Undeniably they are one of the best units in the Eldar range, but for me, they've always been the sort which zoom to an enemy tank, fire, then proceed to get squashed. Lots of people run them in squads of 5 or 6 for that simple purpose. I think it's a bit unfluffy. Eldar aren't meant to be expendable, after all.

How should Fire Dragons appear in the next codex to discourage that kind of use? 3+ save or Feel No Pain and a points increase perhaps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

No Eldar troops are expendable, you just need to remember to support them with other units. Eldar work well on a focused front imo, for example send in all of your units down one flank - the Banshees and Wraithguard deal with any T/MEQs (the unit having already been doomed), Warp Spiders/Scorpions take out the GEQs, and Fire Dragons deal with the tanks. Once you've cleared a flank, you reposition and get ready to move up to the next bunch.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragannia View Post
    How should Fire Dragons appear in the next codex to discourage that kind of use? 3+ save or Feel No Pain and a points increase perhaps?
    They die because they are being thrown into the jaws of the enemy to get rid of a tank.
    If they were tougher they'd just be thrown in more readily, and probably in greater numbers.

Melta is more effective in 5th than in the past, so perhaps a points increase and no change in stats would encourage players to take better care of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't have as many Fire Dragon squads as your enemy can have tanks, throwing them away like that is always a mistake, especially in the days of the IG led mech spam.

Learning exactly how far 12" is may well be the most important thing when using them. It allows you to position them to fire while keeping them the maximum distance they can be from the foe. Unless you've been able to completely isolate a foe or it's a AV14 monster 11 1/2" is optimum range.

You need to pick your target carefully and either use transports/terrain to reduce counter attack or use other units in concert to prevent it. Come people will just throw them away, 80pts of Dragons for a tank, bargain, but I have better things in mind for my limited elite slots than one-hit wonders.
    "ask not the Eldar a question, for he will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

Honosly as an ork/necron player i can truly say, fire dragons 100% of the time die after they get out of the transport. Reason being that many meltas is too good so there always turn in a priorit once they take a step outside of the transport. And if you save them for later game then youve allowed the oppennet to blast away with there tanks that much longer. So yes they are basicly a suicide unit. But usually they get there double points back in just one tank kill, as there like 80 points for 6??
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Produced Music<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Donations Welcome$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I assume you mean that you want to discourage people from using them in the suicide manner rather than argue the fact that they get squashed after use.

The only thing I can think of is that they can be so much more than a one hit wonder in a game, and when people realize this and begin using them correctly they will stop using them as a suicide squad. But there will always be those few occasions that it is worth sacrificing them to win, and I doubt that behavior can ever be discouraged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragons are not one hit wonders nor are they kamikazie units to be thrown into the jaws of the enemy lines. As with all eldar units they are to be used with both care and discretion. A fair tactic especially in 5th is to deploy the dragons with a falcon, utilizing their falcon for cover coupled with holofields for falcon durability. Going up the flank picking off stragglers or heavy units while guided war walkers and prisims hammer your opponents front will be twice the threat than a six man unit of dragons. Although I will admit that the dragons will be one hell of a target and six meltas is hard to ignore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

If you need to keep the dragons alive, put star engines on another vehicle. Once you drop the dragons, open fire with them, then star engine between your dragons and the enemy, with front armour facing. If it's a falcon, it'll probably survive barring absolute punishment, and remember, they need LoS to hit your dragons, so if you're careful and use a low base, you can block that, Too. Worst case scenario, they're getting a 4+ cover save. Best case, your falcon and Dragons survive to fight another day (or Wave Serpent, but...I love my dragon wagons)

It has the nifty feature of blocking them from assaulting troops too. They've gotta assault -around- the falcon or serpent (which is something along the lines of 7 inches total), which while might end up in the tank going kablooie, will leave your dragons unscathed.
    Last edited by cKerensky; August 20th, 2009 at 22:49.

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Units may not embark or disembark in the same turn you wish to use Star Engines.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

This is true, and that's what I get for not having my codex in front of me, however, you can just as easily perform the same task by having a separate tank do this for you. (Edited previous post)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast