Burst Cannons on crisis? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Burst Cannons on crisis?

Good afternoon,

I'm enjoying my success with burst cannons on my stealth team ( bye bye biker squads ), and wondered about placing burst cannons on crisis suits.

Has anyone tried this, and how did it go?

Was thinking of giving my crisis a burst cannon and a plasma rifle, but staying in rapid fire range ( plasma rifle ) could prove costly.

I'm basically looking for a crisis setup to kill troops without leaning too much to twin-linked weapons. To either catch units in the flanks, or hunt for squads hiding in the back.

All help/comments/opinions welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

If you want burst cannons I'd say use the Firestorm, which is Missile Pod, Burst Cannon and Multi-Tracker. That suit costs only 50 points, and it pumps out 5 shots per turn. Check out this tactica.

M.O.M.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MaleOpener View Post
    Good afternoon,

I'm enjoying my success with burst cannons on my stealth team ( bye bye biker squads ), and wondered about placing burst cannons on crisis suits.

Has anyone tried this, and how did it go?

Was thinking of giving my crisis a burst cannon and a plasma rifle, but staying in rapid fire range ( plasma rifle ) could prove costly.

I'm basically looking for a crisis setup to kill troops without leaning too much to twin-linked weapons. To either catch units in the flanks, or hunt for squads hiding in the back.

All help/comments/opinions welcomed.

Well XV8's are pretty limited in what they can take for anti troop. Also what do you mean by anti-troop? are we taking non MEQ troops such as Eldar, Nids, IG or MEQ types with TGH4 and 3+ SV's.
    Why the avoidance of twin linked weaponry?

The Plasma and Burst cannon combo is actually pretty good but the problem with elite XV8's is the compromise. A BS3 Burst cannon is not a powerful weapon, the Stealth squad makes up for this with sheer volume of shots but the XV8 has half the shots of a Stealth squad. The good thing is though is they do have the Plasma but again at BS3 if the Multi is taken (which it should be to allow for greater volume of shots).
    If you have Marker lights available then the 15 shots a 3 man NC/Plasma unit can output can hurt most targets, only thing is you need those ML's to achieve any consistency.
    While I love the Marker light I have real problems taking units that rely on them to perform. Markerlights help other units perform but no unit should ever be taken that relies on them to perform.
    Another disadvantage the XV8 with a BC has when compared to the Stealth is they do not have the Stealth's stealth field advantage which makes the close range of the BC a dodgy prospect,

The unit I take to deal with infantry (MQ or otherwise) is the Torch squad. This unit has advantages over the BC/Plasma:

(1) No need for any help from markerlights. No reliance on to hit rolls so no need for Markerlight help with BS and Flamers ignore cover saves so no need for ML reduction to cover saves. This frees up the markerlights to help units that do need them.

(2) Casualty volume: Three twin linked Flamers will crucify any non MEQ infantry unit, the stacked wounds with re-roll will take a unit of 5+ sv, TGH3 units down fast and only be slightly less effective against 4+ sv units, The good thing is the automatic hit takes all the reliance on luck and ML's away, a Burst cannon will only hit once per turn on average at BS3 and twice on BS4 but if a Flamer touches it hits.
    This increased casualty volume means less damage coming back which alleviates the lack of stealth field/close range problem mentioned above.

(3) Torch squad has Missile pods and this makes the unit much more versatile than the BC/Plasma combo, allowing it to hit at range and hurt a wider variety of targets.

(4) Cover: the Torch squad ignores cover, this cannot be underestimated. If a unit of BC/PL XV8's hits a unit in cover its performance goes down dramatically. A 4+ cover save on average is not to be underestimated, the Flamer unit simply ignores this advantage so its killing power is consistent no matter what.

(5) The Torch squad is decent against MEQ's but vastly superior against non MEQ units over the BC/Plasma combo.

I am not sure if that is what you are looking for but the Torch squad is worthy of consideration if you want good anti infantry. The BC/Plasma is decent but it relies heavily on ML support and units not being in cover.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; August 22nd, 2009 at 23:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with what was said above, i didn't read all of it, but i understood the sentiment.

leave the burst cannons to the 25's, i do however place a burst cannon on my cheep suits along side tl-flamers, which means they can lead a target then swoop for the flamers, very cheep, very cheerful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Would a crisis with TL - flamers, and a BC, work?

How much would a B skill of 3 affect it?

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

I will be honest.
    Would a crisis with TL - flamers, and a BC, work?
    If you're going to run TL-flamer suits I would recommend running a missile pod as the secondary weapon. This will give it enough versatility and range to be effective.

How much would a B skill of 3 affect it?
    Very little, since the burst cannon is a weak weapon compared to the other options available to Crisis suit. It won't kill much either way.

In my opinion, the ONE place acceptable to take a burst cannon is on the vehicles. Stealth suits are incredibly fragile and XV8s have so many better options.

M.O.M.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidlyObeseMonkey View Post
    I will be honest.

If you're going to run TL-flamer suits I would recommend running a missile pod as the secondary weapon. This will give it enough versatility and range to be effective.

Very little, since the burst cannon is a weak weapon compared to the other options available to Crisis suit. It won't kill much either way.

In my opinion, the ONE place acceptable to take a burst cannon is on the vehicles. Stealth suits are incredibly fragile and XV8s have so many better options.

M.O.M.
    Yeah in my opinion there is nothing to be gained by taking a Burst cannon over a Missile pod.
    The only reason I can think of to take the BC is cost but even this is poor reason, lets compare.

The Burst cannon is 4pts cheaper than a Missile pod but look what you get for the 4pts extra.

(a) 18 inch greater range
    (b) an increase of 2pts in strength
    (c) +1 to the AP value

The only thing the BC has over the MP is one more shot per turn but this is not nearly enough to compensate for the lack of strength, range and AP when compared to the MP.

The Missile pod gives you so much more versitility, it offers a much wider range of target options and greater survivability due to the greater range offering stand of when needed.
    The MP also allows the XV8 to engage targets from turn one until the opponents forces are in range of the Flamers.
    The Burst cannon is of comparable range to a Flamer so unless a Multi tracker is taken then you are going to be choosing between the two weapons but the range of the BC means it is not going to be used like the MP can be at range.

Taking the MP means that the XV8 is going to get use out of both weapons which justifies their cost, taking a BC and TL Flamers means one weapon is always going to be under utilised.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I agree with riki and MoM.

There is plenty of strength 5 in a Tau army, I don't think the crisis suits need it.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, makes sense, i have a few 25's which i use in small games, i don't know why they just tickle my fancy, but i have noticed they do indeed work well against bikes, should i take them to deal with the faster options, you know "welcome to my 18" web of death"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Stealth teams, with BCs, are magical against bike squads ...

"Team Ziva is on the board, hope you kids have BC-proof underwear on!"

Should I take a MT on a crisis with TL'ed flamers and missile pod ? ( naturally it would have to be a team leader or shas'vre to do this )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast