Lootas in large foot slogging armies - LoS/cover (or, are large Ork armies viable?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lootas in large foot slogging armies - LoS/cover (or, are large Ork armies viable?)

The general consensus seems to be that Lootas are perhaps the best unit available to the Orks. However, I tried using a large squad of them for several games and they seemed very hard to use and did not make up their points. I played with them in several 1850 point games in preparation for the 'Ard Boyz' tournament on both 6'x4' and 8'x4' tables with an average amount of terrain. I had a hard time placing them so that they could cover a large swath of the table while at the same time positioning my hordes of foot slogging troops. Do players just use them in Speed Freek lists? Do you just ignore the fact that you're going to be giving cover saves to the enemy and rely on massive numbers of shots to do the job? I know cover saves don't matter against Marine and CSM opponents, but what about against vehicles and other non power armored armies? Having half of your shots wasted is a pretty big deal. In the games that I played with them, my four large Boyz mobs as well as two grot mobs filled my entire deployment zone for the most part. In table quarter deployment missions, I was forced to hold troops in reserve.

So, are lootas over-hyped, or are they just not viable choices in large footslogging armies? I had attempted to also use Big Gunz but they too were blocked by troops in front of them. I was attempting to build a list with no vehicles to effectively eliminate several hundred points worth of the enemy's army list that deals with anti-vehicle. Do I just suck it up and give the opponent a cover save? Help! What am I missing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Great question. As my Apoc game was cancelled today I'm bummed but still in an 'orky' mindset. It's either post stuff here on LO or have my two Stompas duel it out with each other...

Lootas. I do not like them. However, I seem to be a minority among Ork players with that opinion. You seem to play a similar army to me, which is interesting because I have the same problem. The biggest issue I have with them is that I'm committed to marching across the table and chopping everything I touch. The Lootas just don't fit into that plan very well - they sit back while the rest of the army advances.

I really don't like them. I've played a 'shooty' ork army and sucked at it, so that might explain why I like to charge.

Foot-slogging orks. I basically do that, but I still bring vehicles. The 30-ork mob of boyz led by a nob with a powerklaw and bosspole is about the most powerful thing in the game, in my opinion. It's tough not taking six of them. But I know my opponents would be miserable if I did that, so out of respect I limit myself to two mobs and fill out the rest of the army with fun stuff. It works fine and even games I don't win seem to go down to the last turn, so everyone enjoys the game (which is most important).

Take your foot sloggers. Don't be afraid of using vehicles either - remember, the 'ramshackle' table can work in your favor! I also like smashing a trukk load of 'Ardboyz into the enemy to tie them up a turn while my boyz run.

Oh, don't believe the crap about shoota boyz being better than sluggas - they are BOTH just as good.....

Happy Waaagh!ing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

Try stuffing fifteen of them in a battlewagon! It's a moblie bunker, and it gives the a higher vantage point! :3 It works great for me, and even better if you have a kustom force field inside it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I don't take them for the same reason- they just don't mesh well with da boyz for me. Besides, I'd rather have hordes of stompy goffs than those sissy ladz who hide at the back of the battlefield...

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I think Lootas are awesome. If you run 2 squads of a decent number and put them on either end, they really threaten the side armor of vehicles. I don't seem them as infantry killers, that's the Boyz job. Lootas job is to knock out Rhinos and Chimeras and Vindicators so your Boyz have things to assault or don't get nuked.

The cover thing is a bummer but against vehicles with AV10-12 they're still gonna do good damage most of the time. Also if you can get them in a building, for a higher up view, even better. I wouldn't say they're the BEST unit Orks has, but they're very useful.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

The problem with putting them in a battlewagon is one shaken/stun result and they can't shoot. And the battlewagon can't move, either, or they can't shoot.

Sal
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was resistant to take lootas at first. I run a footslogging army predominantly, though I have been known to take a couple of trucks every now and again. The problem I had with the pure footslogging list (I take 2x 30 shootas - they are wonderfully versatile - covered by 20-odd sluggas and 30 gretchin btw) is that it lacked the ability to reach out and threaten the line of a shooty army (I play against Eldar for the most part) meaning that the opposition could position themselves and maneuver at will. I had a looted wagon, but that wasn't enough. With my 13 strong loota mob backed up by a S.A.G. Mek I now find that my footsloggers have a much better chance of doing something useful once they get across the board and it gives my opponent something to focus on before my main mobz.

Cover is now a fact of the game that we have to contend with and for the most part it benefits Orks more than it does other armies. If you can place your Lootas high up in a building then great, if not, then you will be giving cover saves away. However, you should be shooting those high strength shots primarily at things where cover is not an issue, i.e. 3+ saves and better and AV10-12. Save spam is the new plasma gun - how do you kill TH/SS termies? Save spam.
    If you're facing guard then you will probably have chimeras to shoot, and guardsmen are likely to be in cover anyway. If you're facing Nids then save spam those carnifexes and tryants with high str shots - your basic boyz should be dealing with gaunts/genestealers either with shooting or cc. If you are facing Eldar then it would be nice to have a clear shot at those 4+ save aspects, but since most Eldar armies are mech these days then those lootas are going to be useful against the wave serpent and fire prism spam.

Lootas aren't necessary, but I have found them to be a very useful addition to my footslogging army, making it much more than a "just run across the board into cc" army. A flanking force of 6 warbikers, 2 deffcoptas and a skorcha trak has helped as well

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

^This
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree with the previous poster. Lootas provide excellent support for footsloggers. If you place them on higher ground there should have a good los which is key. Lootas are useful for the following reasons:

1) Provide attractive target for your opponent. As previously mentioned people are more scared of lootas then your average mob meaning they will be shooting at them rather then your battle line early on.
    2) Lootas are excellent vs skimmers - Something which Pk's, a footslogging lists main AT, is not good against. Who cares if they count as obscured if you score half dozen glancing/penetrating hits a turn. Skimmers and AV 14 are big hurdles for Orks, and lootas serve to correct the former, Loota units are the bane of all skimmer heavy lists and my shooty lists make even Tau cry.
    3) Extra reach - People often forget that Lootas have a huge range given they are carrying anti-personal weapons. Most similar weapons top at around 36inches (e.g. Heavy Bolter) this allows them not only to sit outside of anything that can really hurt them except ordinance as well as strike at targets your footsloggers can not reach. One of the issues with an ork list is they can be slow to move and if you got a lot of objectives to take this can be a issue. Using lootas you can blast away the enemy units that have a good chance seizing them. If you can’t have them no one can

I am certainly in the group that sees lootas as our best unit, who have a place in almost every list
    Key things for an Ork to remember in the heat of battle:

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Stickbomb is not our friend
    When in doubt empty the magazine.
    And most importantly AIM towards the Enemy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

yes no no no no yes

Okay, there are a few no's and yes's I'd like to get out of the way:

YES lootas are awesome.

NO they don't have trouble earning their points back (when used correctly).

NO do not use only one large unit of them.

NO do not put them in a battlewagon (far too expensive and they're safer in cover anyway)

YES run 2-3 units of them.

It's no coincidence that the person in this thread who likes lootas the most is the person who uses two units of them. Lootas are the best shooting unit the Orks have, but you need 2-3 units of about 9-10 in order to be effective. Anything larger is wasteful, anything smaller won't last, and using only one unit of lootas limits how much of the board you can cover.

I think the optimal loota setup is 2 units of 9. They'll tear apart hordes, lightly armored vehicles, can easily wound monstrous creatures, and will inflict instant death on characters with a toughness of 3. I find they work well in virtually any sort of Ork list, and one of the few Ork infantry units (besides boyz and kommandos) that don't need a transport to be effective.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast