Vespids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vespids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vespids

Ok guys. I was thinking everytime I read the vespid fluff it says they have diamond hard claws. Now dont you guys think it should be represented in there stats or something. Something like rending or if rending is to much make it wound on a 4+ like some poisoned weapons. now im not saying there to bad as they are because I have had good times with them here and there but some of the time they just seem lacking. I dont know maybe its just me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, Vespids can be... problematic to classify. Looking at the Fast Attack, I can see no real reason to take them. Maybe if the were jet packers who could JSJ to make use of cover, but I would take Drones, or, more recently Pathfinders. They die too easily: Wounded on 4s and no armour save from bolters? 4+ save or the above JSJ-ing would fix them a little, I feel. Rending doesn't really seem needed. From a fluff view, it would be nice, but would you really WANT your WS3 5+ Save guys in combat against MEQs (let's be honest, you'll probably be facing these )? This would mean an icrease in points, but even the option to raise the save would be nice.... What, so Kroot can buy a save at 6+ but an USEFUL uprade is missed out here?
    Battlecries: Sorbr'and Tau force: For the Greater Good!
    Ordo Corvus Witch Hunters: Only in our flames will the heretic find peace!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I really wish Vespid had something of a boost in CC ability myself. They look like they could deliver at least a moderate ass-whoopin'! They don't need to be Khorne berserkers or anything, but ... yeah, something at least. Sigh.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    I really wish Vespid had something of a boost in CC ability myself. They look like they could deliver at least a moderate ass-whoopin'! They don't need to be Khorne berserkers or anything, but ... yeah, something at least. Sigh.
    I just wish they had 24" range to their silly guns. That one change would make all the difference (OK maybe a 4+ save as well). I really do not think Vespid were ever meant to be CC orientated even though they have the good INT.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    I just wish they had 24" range to their silly guns. That one change would make all the difference (OK maybe a 4+ save as well). I really do not think Vespid were ever meant to be CC orientated even though they have the good INT.
    There've been several "how to improve the Vespid" topics over the years, and this is yet another way that could make them more useful.

Vespid are one of the few units in any 40K codex that, try as I might, I can't seem to rank better than "totally useless".

Skarsgard just recently claimed to have good results and plans to include them more often than not. Skars, I for one would really appreciate some of your insights, tactics, batreps ... really, anything you got.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tau View Post
    Ok guys. I was thinking everytime I read the vespid fluff it says they have diamond hard claws. Now dont you guys think it should be represented in there stats or something.
    They are - this is 40k, 3 foot long mono-edged chainsaws arn't rending, aliens who rip straight through the internal bulkheads of starships to get to you are only strength 4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    There've been several "how to improve the Vespid" topics over the years, and this is yet another way that could make them more useful.

Vespid are one of the few units in any 40K codex that, try as I might, I can't seem to rank better than "totally useless".

Skarsgard just recently claimed to have good results and plans to include them more often than not. Skars, I for one would really appreciate some of your insights, tactics, batreps ... really, anything you got.
    I to would love to see someone make them work 'consistently'. I am not interested in hearing how they performed well in a couple of isolated games but if someone came up with valid useful consistent tactics for them then I would use em.
    Problem is I have tried myself to fit them in (by proxy of the models, I am not paying for unproven expensive models) but I simply cannot find a use for them that justifies losing something else from the list and they simply do not perform to a consistent level.
    I have the same problem with Sniper Drones and Gun Drone squadrons. Piranhas have started to make a bit more sense so there is hope but really as they stand I cannot say I hold out much of that hope for them.

The biggest improvement would be that 4+ save, it would make them just powerful enough and give them much better odds in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the best was to use them is to bring them in from reserves. Then use them as a mop up unit. Like say there is a 10 man assaults squad gettign ready to make trouble with some of my units. with a little luck and some marer support i bring them in on my board edge and shoot the 11 shoots hopeing at least 3+ (what is that 3-4 deaths on marines). then its all a matter of assaulting and hoping they do well in lowering the rest of the numbers to a more manageable state to stay locked with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose you could use Piranhas or a Warfish to fly cover... kinda like fish of fury, but with more AP3

The Vehicles with DPs could give them a cover save until they get there. Though, as you say, this is a significant chunk of points you can spend on Railguns and Markerlights

Incidentally, a friend of mine built a quick Tau list which involved using an Ion Cannon HH to do the same thing for Crisis suits
    Battlecries: Sorbr'and Tau force: For the Greater Good!
    Ordo Corvus Witch Hunters: Only in our flames will the heretic find peace!

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I've played with the models a lot, and even written an article on how to use the things. My conclusion? They're fun and decent at what they do, just WAY too expensive to be practical. Each of their benefits is slightly outweighed by the drawback that comes with it. If they were about 25% cheaper they'd be great (and actually balanced, I've tested this), but as it stands they're stuck in casual games for kicks.

Though, it's hilarious to use them in Tau v. Tau fights and watch them shred battlesuits with impunity.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast