5th ed. Tyranid codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th ed. Tyranid codex

There's been a few threads about what we'd all like to see in this new codex but I havent seen any threads that say what we really expect. So what do you think we will see in the new codex.

Firstly i think there will be a drastic move back to the infantry aspect of the Tyranids. Maybe a points drop for troops across the board or a points increase for fexs and the like?

Secondly i reckon its fairly possible that they'll ditch elite fexs and go back to heavy support only. Nidzilla in a lot of games is pretty much autowin and kinda boring for both players. I have yet to lose with my nidzilla list and yet to have fun playing with them.

any other ideas? or counter what i say if you think i'm wrong

Sir we have a lock on the Hive tyrant.
    NO! SHOOT THAT SPORE MINE! OH GOD, ITS GOING BACKWARDS!
    if someone helps you, give them rep.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I think we'll see some point drops with our troops. hormagaunts and stealers most likely. I don't think they'll drop the elite fex, they really want to give the nids army list options, not take them away. They'll try to make other units more desirable.

I see changes based on the 5th edition rules. I expect something dealing with the issue of our troops, which are SUPPOSED to be there to die, and the fact that we now have to hide troops to claim objectives. I just don't know what that solution will look like.

I think we'll see something with the biovore to make it more useful. And maybe a point reduction for the lictor, which almost no one takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you might be right, and we'll see nids going back to what we classically were; a swarmy cc infestation of little gribblies backed up by larger bugs for support.

I'm not so sure about nidzilla being boring though. I love the challenge of creating a list to counter one that seems invincible. 40k has become somewhat of a modern-day game of conkers in that there's one guy that's won over a hundred games with his, only for someone else to show up with one thats dipped in varnish and baked for an hour and whatnot.

But getting back on track, a points drop in gaunts would probably be the thing that inspires swarms again. Unless they up the minimum brood size to something like 16. With rumours abound of the trygon appearing as a codex choice, we might even see options for themed armies.

How many of us read the army lists when they appear in White Dwarf and think "why have they taken that when x is a better choice"? The chappies behind the game seem to think that people should be playing nids with many, many gaunts and so I think we'll see an alteration of how the army plays best.

I don't know about anyone else on here, but it seems to me that synapse isn't really ever a problem. It hasn't been for me since our latest codex. I see most armies either don't need much synapse (I'm talking nidzilla and stealer-heavy armies) or have plenty of it to go around. Perhaps we'll see an overhaul of how that particular, and frankly, most base of all our armies special rules, works both for and against us.
    If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I think that they might just change the pointage... but I've also been thinking, and they could be planning to launch a new unit along with the new codex. They've stopped making Battleforces, so they might be adding the unit there... but as for the codex, I don't think they will remove Elite Fexes... why would they? Nidzilla's nothing bad.
    Please clickleodeon my egg!

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say a slight point decrease for Gaunts and hormies are in order, that or instant WN for no extra points. Lower points for lictors, make biovores usable, etc.

Also, slightly Cheaper wings for the Tyrant, last I checked Daemon Princes got cheaper wings.

Did I mention cheaper gaunts? Granted I'll go crazy with over 100 gaunts. Where as my opponent will love it, scatter always hits something!
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

They're probably bring back special characters and have them unlock special abilities for the army a la space marine chapter tactics.

For example, maybe have the Red Terror come back, and if you take him, then all raveners become scoring.

Or Old One Eye will let you take elite carnifexes.

And maybe Trygon as a special character?

And hopefully they get rid of the 0-1 limit for flyrants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like to see genestealers drop a point, gaunts drop a point, ripper swarms drop a point, biovores drop 10 points, hormagaunts drop 2 points, and lictors drop 10 points.

Either that, or give them a stat boost.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Dropping points is the most obvious from a marketing perspective. So now in a 1500 list, instead of 80 models you now have 100 models, and GW had just sold an extra 20 gaunts.

And don't forget they just gotta have that 1 super-duper cheap ossom unit that everyone just needs to get 9 of a la valkyrie/vendetta.
    Last edited by jy2; August 29th, 2009 at 02:03.

JMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I would like to see a new unit I'm skeptical whether we'll get one or not. We have plenty of variety and no great big gaping holes in our army that need to be filled. Plenty of anti troop and fexs and tyrants do the job for anti tank. A fast attack MC would be cool though (trygon?). Then we'd be able to have MC's for HQ, Elite, Fast attack AND Heavy support! madness!

Also what do we think of new weapons? will there be any? Something like a VC that is able to penetrate but gets less shots would be nice. Something along the lines of St+2, AP 3/4, Assault 1
    Sir we have a lock on the Hive tyrant.
    NO! SHOOT THAT SPORE MINE! OH GOD, ITS GOING BACKWARDS!
    if someone helps you, give them rep.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Sure we'll get new units, even if some of them will be just a recycle of old discontinued units. That's how GW sells more product. What's the point of creating a new codex if it's not going to help them sell more produtcts.

Space marines got vanguards, sternguards, ironclads, redeemers, thunderfires and a host of special characters. Guardsmen got valkyries/vendettas, griffons, manticores, hellhound variants, basilisk variants, LR variants and a host of new characters. I see nids, necrons and other codices to following this trend. Changing a VC to penetrating may make nids better, but it won't really sell any models. But adding new units like, for example, genestealer cults into their army will help sell more IG models...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast