Eldrad/Fire Dragon Strategy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Eldrad/Fire Dragon Strategy

Just want to share my experience with something I have been doing over the weekend to an extreme success:
    I had an eldrad with six fire dragons in a wave serpent with TL Shuricannon and a Shuricannon, spirit stones and star engines.

After a turn or two, when my ttropps took the support position around the enemy force and I have them clumped (usually I wait for when two or three transports are close by, I use star engines on a fortuned serpent to boost my was as close to the clump of tanks as possible. THe following turn I disembark separately eldrad and fire warriors (prefferably that serpent would not move before disembarcation, than move 6" for it to get into a good shooting position, and here goes my combo:
    Eldrad spins as many vehicles as he can with eldrich storm while fire dragons are comming to one vehicle I would think will be the hardest to destroy. Further when I see the rears/sides of all the vehicles i need i start shooting, dragons destroy the hardest target, than serpent unloads 3+3TL shots into the easiest target; After that eldrad assaults the vehicle he originally spun (if it is still intact) and dragons may multicharge with meltabombs if their vehicle survives.

The reason I am taking eldrad is because taking a storm farseer would be a waste of points, while eldrad gives great support though out the whole game!
    This is an amazing trick and works very well. I would put scatter laser on my serpent for this purpose but I lack on points.

Please try this out yourself and tell me what you think.
    Waiting for your comments,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

That seems like a luck strategy. The vehicle is spun according to a scatter die. Also, 6 BS4 Meltas pretty much slags anything, including AV14.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    That seems like a luck strategy. The vehicle is spun according to a scatter die. Also, 6 BS4 Meltas pretty much slags anything, including AV14.
    ...and the only thing it doesn't 'slag' is a Monolith, but that has no differing rear armor anyways.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

say these tanks your attacking are loaded with combat freaks? does eldrad/fire dragons get mushed up the following turn? or have you got some form of support to stop this from occurring?
    Personally, I love risky endeavors like this.. might give it a try myself actuallly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

There are much higher chances that it will spin the vehicle with its rear/side armour, remember that HIT allows you to choose facing.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    ...and the only thing it doesn't 'slag' is a Monolith, but that has no differing rear armor anyways.
    I would not do this strategy against a monolith.. more of a chimera/LRBT clump or as we had it this weekend a Hammerhead parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellanator View Post
    say these tanks your attacking are loaded with combat freaks? does eldrad/fire dragons get mushed up the following turn? or have you got some form of support to stop this from occurring?
    Personally, I love risky endeavors like this.. might give it a try myself actuallly
    Usually with 2-3 explosions quite a large amount of occupants tend to die, sometimes even fleeting or being pinned!

The only escape strategy I have is fortune up and pick a fight, in 1500 points i will most likely have banshees or dire avengers waiting nearby for the next turn. I would like to point out that this is so far only tested in a 1000 points doubles, and is performed around turn 4-5 during a final rush to the enemy encampment, so there are not that many troops around to have plenty of tanks. I would rely on eldrad's save and high initiative to hold for a turn on his own till reinforcements would come in. Alternatively you can have additional transport of dire avengers spread in front of dragons and eldrad, but as I said, it will be a higher point game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I really don't see this as a needed strategy. If you happen to run them together, maybe you situationally go for it but Fire Dragons by themselves more than get the job done, not to mention BLs and EMLs. Armor doesn't seem to strike fear into Eldar.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I really don't see this as a needed strategy. If you happen to run them together, maybe you situationally go for it but Fire Dragons by themselves more than get the job done, not to mention BLs and EMLs. Armor doesn't seem to strike fear into Eldar.
    With the how easy it is to get cover nowdays, a single lance's utility is reduced 50%!
    I found that high rate of fire is better than slower rate with more powerful shots.
    The strategy destroys 2-3 tanks at a time however, not just one. So many losses in one turn is hard for an opponent and also is very demoralizing. Explosions from vehicles will overlap killing bystanders and passengers alike.

This is not me trying to destroy one vehicle, but blow up many in a roaring crescendo of fire blood and ceramite shrapnel! Not by any means used to kill one tank, - in that case one squad of dragons is more than enough usually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

How does this kill multiple tanks if they aren't squadroned? Even with Fortune and Eldrad, Fire Dragons are dead once they disembark unless your opponent is very foolish. They're low T and a bad save, plus a small unit.

It's not as easy to get cover for vehicles as it is troops. You have to hide 50% of it and some tanks are very big. Also, you're Eldar, you're super fast. You can go 12" and shoot your big guns, that's plenty far to get a none cover save angle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

How does this kill multiple tanks if they aren't squadroned? Even with Fortune and Eldrad, Fire Dragons are dead once they disembark unless your opponent is very foolish. They're low T and a bad save, plus a small unit.

It's not as easy to get cover for vehicles as it is troops. You have to hide 50% of it and some tanks are very big. Also, you're Eldar, you're super fast. You can go 12" and shoot your big guns, that's plenty far to get a none cover save angle.
    It kills multiple targets like this:
    - Eldrad spins vehicles, maybe even stunning one or two!
    - Wave serpent that moved 6" at most kills one with lowest armour. 6 s6 shots isnt too shabby against AV 10.
    - Dragons shoot at the hardest target, hopefully either destroying or immobilising it.
    - If they did not destroy, they make a multicharge into the vehicle column with melta bombs. And Eldrad is joining them with his boom-stick. This is where you have to be tricky and make sure eldrad is behind dragons in no way reachable by a charge. Next turn, dragons are dead, eldrad is not locked in CC and tries to escape on his serpent.

This worked three times for me with different opponents if they clump vehicles together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

So A. your opponent knows you have this unit and clumps vehicles. B. your Eldritch storm has to spin them correctly C. your Wave Serpent has to be able to shoot from a stationary position, so the Dragons can assault if the Meltas don't do the job.

I'm not saying this combo is impossible, I'm just trying to illustrate it's unlikely and Eldrad won't reliably increase the effectiveness of the unit at it's job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast