Tau Arena of Death - Combat Patrol - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Tau Arena of Death - Combat Patrol

CHALLENGE TIME

The forces of the Tau Empire are being beset on their newest aquisition. The world of Vemp'ri was an unexpected find just above Fi'rios. Colonized quickly this world was to be a new outpost at the top most axis of the Tau empire. Rich in minerals it would greatly help supply the Empire with an influx of much needed arms and munitions.

The sudden attacks by numerous different forces have made the Tau to wisely pull it's citizens out of Vemp'ri. Now all that remain is the rear guard forces battling fiercly to allow the full withdrawal.

You are in command of one such force. Having mustered your small command you know that every minute counts and you and your team are commited to fight to the last ... for the greater good.

Contest rules

Members of the Fire Caste, I am setting up a different arena and this one will utilize the Combat Patrol rules listed on page 182 of the 4rth edition rule book. The way this arena will work is you will be given a battlefield in which to set up on. This will be a semi fortified position. You will provide me with your army and how you wish to set up, target priority, so on and so forth.

Each week, each of you will face the same army which I will list at the start of the week. How well your team does will be scored simply by the difference between the point value of the enemy you have destroyed vs how many points the enemy has destroyed of your troops.

Each week after your battle your force will recieve reinforcements equal to your losses. In this battle it is a fight to the finish. There are no turn limits, it lasts until one side or the other is completely gone. Vehicles have to be destroyed to get their point value. Immobilized results are worth 20 points, weapon destroyed are worth the point value for the weapons themselves. Burst cannons on a vehicle are worth 5 points.

If your force is completely destroyed, you are out of the contest. I intend to run this for 8 weeks. At the end of the 8 weeks, the person with the most points wins. In the case of a tie, the two forces will do a deathmatch to determine the winner.

The battle will be played on a 48' by 48' table. Outflanking, infiltrate and deep strike rules will be in effect.

• Armies are no more then 400 points.
    • You must have one troops choice.
    • You may have one HQ choice, but no more then one.
    • You may spend remaining points from anywhere within the codex.
    • No models may have more then 2 wounds.
    • No special characters.
    • no 2+ saves.
    • No vehicles with a total armor value greater than 33. This is calculated by adding front, side and rear armor numbers (only count side once).
    • No ordnance weapons.

2 - Private Message your list to me. Include:

Name - its important (your forum name is sufficient) One word only. You give me a long name and I'll just end up shortening it for you. It is just a pain when writing up the battle reports.

I will be taking no more than 16 entrants. Once I have 16 entrants I WILL NOT be taking any more. If we do not have 16 total, I will cut it off on Sept 26 (I'll be back from my trip at that time so I need to wait till then for it to start).

I will then post results and write up a detailed battle report per fight.

If you have any questions please post below.
    Remember, don't post your unit below, post it to me to keep it secret, keep it safe, before I reveal them in the bracket.

- Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

This looks like the best contest yet! I have a few questions.

1) Being the sly bastard I am, I sold my 4th edition rulebook a month or so before 5th edition came out to a guy who was unaware that 5th would be in stores soon. Are there any rules aside from the ones you mentioned?

2) Will there be objective-based missions?

3) Does the Fire Warriors' 1+ rule count?

4) Will our opponents be 400 point CP forces?

5)
    Each week after your battle your force will recieve reinforcements equal to your losses.
    I'm not sure what this means. In other words, you use the same army every time?

6)
    In this battle it is a fight to the finish. There are no turn limits, it lasts until one side or the other is completely gone.

If your force is completely destroyed, you are out of the contest.
    So each time there is a 50/50 chance of being kicked out. The only way to have a shot at winning is to go 8-0-0?

7) Are we allowed to tailor our lists to the opponent or do we use the same list every week?

I'm really excited, but the rules are a bit confusing. In any case, count me in!

M.O.M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I can't wait!

I'm rather good at small-point games, so I wonder how I'd fair in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

You said we can have an HQ, but no models with more than two wounds??
    Leaving us with Ethereals?

How does that work?

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidlyObeseMonkey View Post
    This looks like the best contest yet! I have a few questions.

1) Being the sly bastard I am, I sold my 4th edition rulebook a month or so before 5th edition came out to a guy who was unaware that 5th would be in stores soon. Are there any rules aside from the ones you mentioned?

2) Will there be objective-based missions?
    There really is only one mission type, That will be to defend your position.

3) Does the Fire Warriors' 1+ rule count?
    No, according to the rules for Combat Patrol you may use a kroot squad as your troops choice.

4) Will our opponents be 400 point CP forces?
    Each enemy force will also be a 400 pt list that adheres to the same rules for the combat patrol.

5)
    I'm not sure what this means. In other words, you use the same army every time?
    Yes, regardless of losses you may take, each week your list will be back at full strength.

6)
    So each time there is a 50/50 chance of being kicked out. The only way to have a shot at winning is to go 8-0-0?
    Not necessarily. As you will always have the home field advantage I do not foresee people getting dropped out at a fast pace if at all.

7) Are we allowed to tailor our lists to the opponent or do we use the same list every week?
    No, you make one list that is hopefully flexible enough or works well enough to take on all opposition.

As a side note, I am thinking of modifying the rules slightly to provide the home ground advantage. I am discussing this with a friend to see what would give a realistic but not overpowering edge.

When I say modifying the rules, this will be more "mission special rule" based. It will not change the limitations on making your list. Mostly this may allow you to set a minefield, or get a free shot with a single unit at the beginning of the game ... something like that.

Also on a side note, I will allow human auxilaries.

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Thanks for clearing those up.

One more question:
    Quote Originally Posted by haddatt View Post
    Also on a side note, I will allow human auxilaries.
    Are there any special rules for these? It seems rather unbalancing to be allowed to take IG models.

M.O.M.
    Last edited by MorbidlyObeseMonkey; September 4th, 2009 at 23:11.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

sound like a dam good time! i think that a home feild advantage would be pretty beneficial to all playing.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Thanks for clearing those up.

One more question:

Are there any special rules for these? It seems rather unbalancing to be allowed to take IG models.

M.O.M.
    There is a rule for Human Aux's. I'll try to find a link somewhere. Actually, on second thought, lets just stick to the codex .. no human aux's Trust me they really arent all that.

Human aux's are a troop of 10-12 guardsmen, armed with las rifles. You could upgrade to a shasui and add a ML. You also could upgrade 2 guardsmen to have either pulse rifles or pulse carbines. Really not all that great but I like em for fluff reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I'm noticing your rules only allow an Ethereal to be the HQ choice.

Was this intended, or an oversight?

Reading the original post again, and glad I did too, I get the notion our opponent won't be another player's tau forces.
    I think I'll be needing a revamp of my list, hehe.

How many enteries so far? How much time do we have left to enter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by MaleOpener View Post
    I'm noticing your rules only allow an Ethereal to be the HQ choice.

Was this intended, or an oversight?

Reading the original post again, and glad I did too, I get the notion our opponent won't be another player's tau forces.
    I think I'll be needing a revamp of my list, hehe.

How many enteries so far? How much time do we have left to enter?

The rules for combat patrol forces is something I took directly from the 4rth ed rulebook. This means though, that the enemy forces will also be limited as there are very few hq choices that have only 2 wounds. Well at least with the older codex's. But yes, it was intended. I do not think it is a huge detriment as our elites can have all and any special wargear that our commanders provide.

You will not be playing against other Tau forces. Each week I will list what opposing list you may be facing taken from my own non Tau armies I have.

I have considered running this same 400 pt combat patrol and have it be a versus between all the Tau entries. however, this format gives me a certain flexibility where I am not locked into 8 or 16 players as I do not have to do a tournament bracket. Also, I just think it'll be fun to play different armies.

So far we have 4 entries ... all the usual suspects of course. People have plenty of time to plan and scheme as I a have a trip I am taking this month and will start it once I am back. This tournament will commence on the 26th of Sept.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast