Need help with a specific situation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with a specific situation

There is an Imperial Guard Player at my local GW store know for his power gaming and terrible, terrible sportsmanship. He places three basilisks in a far corner of the board covered my terrain and just shoots.
    (I'm just grumbling)

My question is: How should Eldar players handle this specific situation? I've been thinking lately about a variety of options and I wanted to get some feedback.

Has anyone had any success with deep striking Swooping Hawks in an anti-tank role?

Outflanking Striking Scorpions?

Firedragons in a Falcon or Wave Serpent?

Im considering alternative ways to deploy as he is well known for the massive amount of tank fire.

Strange things lurk in the deep places of the world. - Check out my Blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

outflank scorpions and pray you roll the side they are on. I have done this twice against those artillery tanks (although they were something else...) and always put the hurting on them. THe only thing that sucks is that i often lose models to the explosions haha.

Remember if they are a squadron , a roll of 4-6 destroys it, until you roll for the last one left. Some people will try to say that they die at the same time so ther eis only 1 left so only a 5-6 will destroy the 2nd tank, but dont buy into it. until you roll for the last REMAINING tank. its still 4-6.

Oh and take the claw. U wont regret it. pray to the dice gods.

Linked prisms can generally take on anything, but cover is so annoying.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Basilisks are pretty lightly armored so Fire Prisms should do it. Barring that, remember they have a really high minimum range, so just set up in front of them and move flat out if you play a Mech list.

Fire Dragons will demolish them very handily, but in all fairness the Bassie's are pretty flimsy when you get up close, so when you're in Fusion Gun range, you're pretty much safe from the Earthshaker cannon anyway. Medusas are a different story....

-Dark

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Just shake them... I realized a while ago that gun platform vehicles are worthless on any table result but immobilized, 1-3 prevents them from shooting, and 5-6 they're done for good. Daemonic Possession is a whole other issue, but IG don't have that, so you're good to go.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Can't squadron basilisks. Though Eric's dead on. Scorpions are your key unit here. That, or a jetbike seer council. They'd go to school on the basilisks, and you'll get your 4+ re-rolling cover save. Even singing spears would do it here.

Pretty much anything that can outflank. Hell, War Walkers outflanking would do it for you. Don't rely on the minimum range to protect you, he'll just direct fire the shell. Harliquins would work for you here, too. Anything to deny him his range. Play to your strengths, and play against his weaknesses.

He's probably running a couple of platoons to protect his basilisks. If that's the case, then you're going to have to figure out a way around his platoon.

Another problem is his officer of the fleet, if he takes on. If he does, don't rely on your reserves. You're going to have to do it the old fashioned way.

What might work for you here are Guardians with Conceal, with a farseer babysitting them, or if you really want to screw him over: Eldrad.

IF you want to try something different, bring Striking Scorpions and *gasp* swooping hawks. If you go this route, bring an Autrach to neutralize his Officer of the Fleet. Use the swooping hawks to pie plate, and when you can, charge and Bomb away. You HAVE to keep him honest. Don't do what he expects. Keep him on his toes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All tanks/vehicles in the IG codex are taken in squadrons of 1-3 except for the Deathstrike, Manticore, and chimera's.

What's the difference between direct and indirect fire? Does that mean he can shoot within the minimum range even though its range 36-240?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

no ,indirect fire is when the model cant see the thing it is shooting at and therefore cant subtract the scatter by your balistic skill, direct fire follows the regular shooting rules for blasts and ordanance however tanks with indirect fire rule a target unit that is not 50 % or more in cover does not get their cover saves EX. meatshield saves or shooting through cover.
    Last edited by nigelboyette; September 9th, 2009 at 06:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Direct is no minimum range, while direct still gets the opponent LOS cover saves, like they normally wouldn't from indirect.
    When faced by an army of awesomness, RUN.

Adding Rep is always nice for everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I witnessed a single whirlwind almost tear my army apart the other day. I used the combined firepower of two wraithlords to finish it off. I think 2 wraithlords do this job well, as together they can withstand a lot of fire power, so i have no qualms in putting them in harms way, in order to gain L.O.S. Unlike swooping hawks..
    Btw does anyone find that swooping hawks are better used starting on the board rather than deep striking? It might just be me, but every time my unit of 5 attempts a tank assassination job, i find they get gunned down pretty efficiently by one super anxious opponent.. there should be an exarch power that allows swooping hawks to assault the turn they deep strike. In saying this however, i still love my swooping hawks, they just have to kill tanks using other methods available to them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

Use close combat units and use a lot of pinning weapons to keep his heavy weapons teams and infantery squads nose down.

A seer council is also useful, especially if you have the points to take Eldrad. With a fortuned serpent will be in turn 2 in close combat. If you position them well, you will be able to charge the tanks and some unfortunately infantery squads. i used destructors on tanks only because they hit not only the tanks but also all the infantery protecting the tanks around it. This way i opened gaps where i can assault and getting with an infantery squad in combat but putting my hits on the tank i can kill the infantery in his turn and in my 3`rd turn assault again. just hope the tank explosions will not kill the guardsmens and position well

scorpions, fire dragons, warp spiders, swooping hawks all do well against IG tanks.

I find hawks more useful with exarch and sunrifle due to another pinning weapons.

Eldar missile launchers cause pinning, dark reapers tempest launcher cause pinning, sunrifle, our artilerries batteries cause pinning. pinning is your friend (ld8 on most of the IG squads = i had a game where the ig opponent played with only half of his infantery each turn).

IG can be hard but keep him on pressure and he will break
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast