Swooping Hawks: how to use them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Swooping Hawks: how to use them?

For an upcoming tourney, following the forum's suggestion, I added a small unit of hawks for added anti-tank.

The question is: how should I use them?

If I keep them in reserves and deepstrike them they won't be able to do nothing for the first turn they arrive and will be annihilated by enemy fire before they manage to assault the tank.

If I field them they risk being shot at before hand, although I could always keep them in cover (battlefield permitting) until the right moment.

Any advice?

- Just love that maki! -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

They can be used a few ways. Against all infantry with ho hum saves, I'd continually DS for the Grenade Pack and shoot, that Skyleap. They should take out a good number of guys and maybe even be seen as a threat.

If you're using them for anti-armor, they have to hide. Either DS them on your side to buy them unharmed time, than lie in wait for the tank or just find a ruin or something to put them behind. Lure the tank close to you if you can, than assault it and hopefully damage it badly.

Their main strength is just dropping plates and selective shooting, it helps them survive and makes them a pain. If you just flutter them towards something, they'll die in one turn.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Pretty much what prince said. Barring any unit that auto-shoots deepstrikers, Swooping hawks can be a real pain for your enemy: You're dropping accurate pie plates from a unit they can't destroy. Its basically our artillary, and could be used as such.

Skyleap when you can, but keep your guys behind cover if you want to assault a tank. They've got a fairly hefty assault range, 12 + 6, and if I'm not mistaken, fleet D6, too. Thats a total 24 inch theat range (averaging probably 22)

Play 'em right, and they'll earn their points back against GEQs.

Edit: If you're fighting IG, run Autrachs. Eldar is known to use reserves and outflanking often, you'll need the extra +1 to counter any officers of the fleet they have.
    Last edited by cKerensky; September 9th, 2009 at 22:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

They do indeed have Fleet of Wing.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since were on the topic of Swooping hawks

Does anyone know if the Swooping Hawk Grenade Launcher counts as a Barrage weapon?
    Strange things lurk in the deep places of the world. - Check out my Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

im pretty sure the codex and the rulebook both have reference sheets for that

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Why on gods green earth woud you use swooping hawks at anti-tank?

Its more like annoy the tank unit.

Hell, out flanking scorpions are better at killing tanks. Anyway what I am trying to say is that swooping hawks are digustingly expensive, and only good against horde GEQ.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

Yep. They're really expensive for anti-tank. Keep 'em for anti GEQ horde, not for anti-tank.

Their haywires are useful, but don't justify the point cost JUST for them. Swooping hawks arent BAD at anything, they're just not great at anything. Like I said, they're a cheap "artillary" unit for anti horde. That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

I don't even think they're worth the points against GEQ, you can get more reliable things. Prisms, high shot Walkers and even DA's can do a nicer job and more mutli-use but I'm pretty sure he's playing all foot, so mostly not applicable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

I dunno, I mean, against horde GEQs, to have a unit that can contest on the last turn, while dropping hordes like flies? Its invaluable.

But don't get me wrong, there are better units, but I'd still at least consider them.

If only they were 3 points cheaper, or were a troop choice(JOKING)....
    mmmm.....
    Last edited by cKerensky; September 11th, 2009 at 14:54.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast