Librarium Online Forums banner

Swooping Hawks: how to use them?

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Ad-Rock 
#1 ·
For an upcoming tourney, following the forum's suggestion, I added a small unit of hawks for added anti-tank.

The question is: how should I use them?

If I keep them in reserves and deepstrike them they won't be able to do nothing for the first turn they arrive and will be annihilated by enemy fire before they manage to assault the tank.

If I field them they risk being shot at before hand, although I could always keep them in cover (battlefield permitting) until the right moment.

Any advice?

#2 ·
They can be used a few ways. Against all infantry with ho hum saves, I'd continually DS for the Grenade Pack and shoot, that Skyleap. They should take out a good number of guys and maybe even be seen as a threat.

If you're using them for anti-armor, they have to hide. Either DS them on your side to buy them unharmed time, than lie in wait for the tank or just find a ruin or something to put them behind. Lure the tank close to you if you can, than assault it and hopefully damage it badly.

Their main strength is just dropping plates and selective shooting, it helps them survive and makes them a pain. If you just flutter them towards something, they'll die in one turn.

#3 · (Edited)
Pretty much what prince said. Barring any unit that auto-shoots deepstrikers, Swooping hawks can be a real pain for your enemy: You're dropping accurate pie plates from a unit they can't destroy. Its basically our artillary, and could be used as such.

Skyleap when you can, but keep your guys behind cover if you want to assault a tank. They've got a fairly hefty assault range, 12 + 6, and if I'm not mistaken, fleet D6, too. Thats a total 24 inch theat range (averaging probably 22)

Play 'em right, and they'll earn their points back against GEQs.

Edit: If you're fighting IG, run Autrachs. Eldar is known to use reserves and outflanking often, you'll need the extra +1 to counter any officers of the fleet they have.

#7 ·
Why on gods green earth woud you use swooping hawks at anti-tank?

Its more like annoy the tank unit.

Hell, out flanking scorpions are better at killing tanks. Anyway what I am trying to say is that swooping hawks are digustingly expensive, and only good against horde GEQ.

#8 ·
Yep. They're really expensive for anti-tank. Keep 'em for anti GEQ horde, not for anti-tank.

Their haywires are useful, but don't justify the point cost JUST for them. Swooping hawks arent BAD at anything, they're just not great at anything. Like I said, they're a cheap "artillary" unit for anti horde. That's all.

#9 ·
I don't even think they're worth the points against GEQ, you can get more reliable things. Prisms, high shot Walkers and even DA's can do a nicer job and more mutli-use but I'm pretty sure he's playing all foot, so mostly not applicable.

#10 · (Edited)
I dunno, I mean, against horde GEQs, to have a unit that can contest on the last turn, while dropping hordes like flies? Its invaluable.

But don't get me wrong, there are better units, but I'd still at least consider them.

If only they were 3 points cheaper, or were a troop choice(JOKING)....
mmmm.....

#13 ·
Exarch Wargear

I wish you could give some more weapon options to the Swooping Hawk Exarch; maybe a meltagun or something similar. Need not be a big change, just something to define it's role a little better. I know somebody suggested giving them the ability to Assault on the same turn the unit Deep Strikes.

Does anybody's Swooping Hawk Exarch still have a Web of Skulls? That was a fun weapon.

#15 ·
Swooping Hawks need to be a tad cheaper with Haywires penetrating on a 5-6 or +1 to damage rolls, rather than just penetrating on a 6. Back in 4th ed Swooping Hawks could kill vehicles fairly well with the old vehicle penetration rules. Now they need a bit of extra oomph. Their guns aren't actually that horrible - they're 24 inch assault 2 weapons, which isn't bad. If only they were AP4, but I'm dreaming there.

#16 ·
I'd like them in a hunter killer role for small units. Fire Dragons are already great anti-armor for Eldar and DA's with Bladestorm will cure your light infantry woes. Give them a really reliable DS and some guns to kill small units such as Devastators, Command Platoons or Lootas. That'd be something Eldar doesn't have a unit dedicated too and it'd be interesting.

#17 ·
According to the GW faq, swooping hawks can deep strike and skyleap on the same turn, and as they automatically release their grenade pack upon every deepstrike, all you simply need to do against horde armies is the following. Purchase at least one autarch, then get 2 or 3 squads, 5 strong +exarch +skyleap, then deep strike them every turn anywhere in the open where you'd have line of sight to what you're targetting (as the codex is outdated, without line of sight they'd get cover saves, despite how strange it sounds). Then skyleap them off on the same turn. By doing so you could have up to 3 unavoidable blasts per turn (as long as they arrive and hit), as from turn 2. Then sit back and watch your opponent rage while you grief.

Skyleaping at the end of turn 5 and 6 is always risky incase the game ends, as they would be considered dead if not in play, but you can assure they'll arrive on the next turn without even needing to roll for it.

If not used like that, they'd very rarely get their points back, and only againts armies with an average armour value of 5+ or worse, otherwise i wouldn't bother using them at all.

#18 ·
Its a shame, too. Swooping hawks are one small change away from greatness. If their weapons were AP4, if they could assault after deep striking, if this, if that. All it would take is one SMALL change and swooping hawks would be a great versatile unit. As it is, they fill a very, very small niche.

With that in mind.....
...I'm going to force myself to use them next match!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.