Do arachnids have a place in mech? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do arachnids have a place in mech?

Incase you didn't get the pun, I'm referring to striking scorpions and warp spiders.

Anywho, these are two of my favorite units in the eldar arsenal, mainly cuz i am an ex tau player who lost all his suits in a car crash -cries-. The spiders are obvious in this; anyone who has played tau (or against them) can tell you how frustrating a properly executed jump can be. The scorps mainly because they seem like super-kroot.

Nostalgia aside, I see both of them as fantastic units that deserve to be played, and I can see many applications for both, however, in the mech play style it just seems redundant to take them, as spiders shine outside a transport, and banshees are meat blenders with a doom seer. I've considered taking a foot slogging army, but the fragility of the eldar, combined with just how awesome a wave serpent is (Railguns hate these things), make me believe that a mech list is in fact the way to go. They are however, rather points heavy, and seem to have very little room for two of my favorite units.

So I'll ask you guys, can you fit these two groups, with maybe some dark reaper back up (Love them too) into a mech list and have it run smoothly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Reapers are a hard sell in mech because fireprisms are extremely nice and mobile. Spiders are fast enough to keep up so I don't see why they can't work in a mech list. Scorpions can work coming out of a transport in a mech list but they deal with hordes ( some like them because of the better survival also ). Most mech armies take several DA squads that can deal with hordes also so banshees are taken for the power weapons. Now you could make a decent hybrid list using reapers with other shooting units like pathfinders and warwalkers to make a firebase. the scorpions outflanking or counter charging and the rest of the points on a mech wing to take the fight to the enemy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hrrm, I might be able to pull off a hybrid list, lets see what i can throw together, I'll write something up and put it in the eldar lists. But any other ideas on how to incorporate some of these units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

If you are really a fan of the Jump-Shoot-Jump tau tactic and you want to run a Mechanied list, Guardian Jetbikes may be your thing.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I run scorpions all the time. Its not about keeping up with the mechanized army...becuase when you outflank, you are in the thick of it already. Its more like the tanks are catching up to the scorps who are doing the whole thing already.

Warpspiders can move far enough to always keep up with the enemy, Although my preferred method for them is to deepstrike behind a tank and shoot it in the arse.

Both of these aspects fit nicely and compliment a mech army well.

Also, pathfinders can compliment it well too, because A, they can hold their ground (sometimes), and dont have a hard time pinning advancing units. Just watch out for flamers in rhinos that make it to you.

Jetbikes confer your move shoot move tactics, but jetbikes do not nearly have the fire power of a suit, if u want to do that, play dark eldar they can get 2 blasters per squad with a min of 3 bikes per squad. This however will probaly change in the new codex, but as of now. Nope.

Please mind language -- Canew
    Last edited by Canew; September 14th, 2009 at 16:42.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usally field two sqads with five warp spiders each and it each and it works great both at taking out transports as well as infatary.

My scorpions has been doing great aswell, in one game for example my exarch sliced through several chimeras and butchered the squads that were in them. my opponent were not very happy about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I'd love to field Warp Spiders more often then I do, but scorpions I use as often as I can fit them in. Eric hit the nail on the head on this one. If you can, see if you can get Karandaras in your list somewhere. I try to fit him in whenever I can (well, him or eldrad). He might be a big cut of cheese that most people don't seem to realise. Yeah, he's a lot of points, but I can honestly say I've never played a game with him where he hasn't earned back at least twice his points.

He's basically a terminator, who can't be instant killed, with a LOT of power-claw attacks OR chainblade attacks on the charge. Tanks go bye bye. Short of going up against pure dedicated melee units, he'll wipe out most things on their own (just...er...don't send him up against Grey Knight Terminators...they'll eat him alive.)

Best of all, if you go first try to hold back the smile from coming across your face. It'll almost guarantee any unit your enemy has is dead on a first turn charge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a hybrid list with both these units in them at 2000 points. Scorpions can outflank or infiltrate, meaning once the game starts they only need a turn of movement to bring them into charge range. Coupled with MTC and a 3+ save they'll be able to soak up fire easily. Good placement of transports or a Fortune, especially in cover, allows them to excel against the more static armies. Stick them in the middle of your formation or on a flank, infiltrating out, and pin the enemy centre while you mop up a flank. If the enemy has first turn or has too much firepower, you can always try outlfanking but it's risky if they come out on the wrong side.

Warp Spiders are much the same. I tend to deploy them in games I've decided to go first (pretty much only Annihilation and I have the first turn) and Deep Strike them for others, unless terrain works to my advantage. Their movement allows them to easily keep up with mechanised lists. Their one flaw is that terrain hinders them. Jumping into terrain with a squad of 10 is a sure bet to lose 1 or 2, and they're quite expensive per model. On the plus side, 22 shots, 4 of them BS5, will make short work of any armour 10 or 11 tanks, even just with glancing shots (enough glances will wreck it) but they usually take 1 or 2 turns. I also take Powerblades though admittedly I don't use them all that much.

Warp Spiders kind of fill the same niche as Avengers - anti-infantry power, but they do better without if Doom is not available, especially against high toughness units. It's such a pity Warp Spiders don't have Surprise Assault from 3rd ed.
    Last edited by Dragannia; September 15th, 2009 at 05:33.

+ Reply to Thread