Hardest Unit to kill and how to handle them - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardest Unit to kill and how to handle them

What should we use to take out the stronger units in the game.

First off i guess i should find out what you guys think is the hardest Unit for us to kill not inculding tanks.

Here are two top of my head i think are bad news

Nobs squad with power claws (i think you can put them on bikes too)
    or
    maybe Marines on bikes with apothacary with storm shields

Then Once you tell me what you think are the hardest for us to kill tell me what are the best things to use to take em out points wise.

::: Please don't list individual stat lines. It's against forum rules and copyright infringement. Thanks ::: ~Rabbit

Last edited by Rabbit; September 15th, 2009 at 17:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pimped out nurgle daemon prince.

There are ways of dealing with it, the dakka fex and dakka rant come to mind, but if its locked in combat I for one rarely have a CC monster near by to deal with it.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Flyrant with Implant Attack (amongst all the other upgrades) tend to rip DPs into shreds. It's got to the point in our local games where the DPs are flying away as fast as their little stubby wings can carry them

I've only seen a DP inflict a single wound on a flyrant, let alone kill one. None have survived the first turns of combat either (the one that inflicted a wound died thanks to combat resolution, lol)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I've played against Nob bikers before. A fully tooled cc-fex will easily insta-kill them as will any tyrants/broodlords with implant attacks, but never attack them alone. Their retaliatory strike will most likely kill your TMC. Always attack in pairs for support.

Against biker marines, just shoot them to death. A dakka-tyrant will put in enough bio-lead to probably kill 2-3 of those 60+pt models each turn. Just keep shooting them.

What I find very tough is a squad of 10 TH/SS termies + indepedent character (just plain nasty if he's Vulkan or Pedro). They will just murder our units and can even withstand being assaulted by 3 cc-fexes.

Another very nasty unit are 8 bloodcrushers. Make sure you take implant attack against them and shoot them from a distance. Never let them get the charge.

Finally, I hate the Necron c'tans, but they'll a little more manageable. Just shoot them from a distance, and gang up on them with your TMC's when they're within range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flyrant with Implant Attack (amongst all the other upgrades)
    That becomes a rather expensive Flyrant.

I am however warming to the idea of IA more and more..
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Rather expensive yes, but in the 5 games I've seen one fielded it's never failed to take down every MC on the enemy force and usually a vehicle or two as well.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I've used a CC Flyrant with scything talons and Implant attacks before to great effect. Its was about 170pts i think but easly killed its points back because of how easly it kills characters and MC.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this and i think when i meant what was the hardest unit to kill. I was thinking more along the lines of its defensive value instead of its offensive value.

A Unit with these characteristics.
    High WS (maybe not as important as the other stats)
    High T
    High W
    High saves
    High Invulnerable saves
    Extra save (feel no pain)
    Multiple similar models
    and any other extra rule a unit has to stop or slow down the damage they take
    (maybe -1 attack or -1 WS like tyrants can do)

This is why i came up with those bike squads as the hardest unit to kill. the ones i was talking about earlier have high toughness, multi-wounds, good saves, and feel no pain, and lots of models in a squad.

So what is the hardest unit in the game with these characteristics listed above. And what should we use to take care of em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By looking at the previous posts, all are pretty rough units to take down, but nob bikers, done it without them getting a single attack in, 5 Psychic Screams then Barbed Stranglers. Say a 10 man termie unit, Im not saying it happens all the time but Ive had 3 Genestealers take them out. The Nightbringer, lost from combat resolution without being attacked. By that I mean I had 2 units of Genestealers assault a unit of 20 Warriors, with just one Stealer touching the NB base, killed all the Warriors NB killed 4, and now the NB has to make 16 Fearless lost combat saves. So it all can be done its all about managing and controlling the assault. But I will have to say that the 2 hardest units I faced were a venerable dread and a unit of Dire Avengers with an Exarch with CCW and Shimmer Shield with Arsumen and a Farseer who Dommed me and Fourtuned the Avengers. The dread was because with by flyrant I couldnt destroy it on the venerable reroll, and if you played against that Eldar unit, you know why, Bladestorm.
    Last edited by hbomb1; September 27th, 2009 at 08:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abaddon the despoiler is my mortal enemy all his high initiative powerfist attacks, Im wondering if the cc tyrant is the way to go but he does often have backup of some terminators and a landraider.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast