Vehicle Upgrades - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vehicle Upgrades

I have been wondering for some time now about which vehicle upgrades for any tank are worth the points, and after seeing the wave serpent armaments post I thought I would create this one asking the opinion of everyone. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am not quite sure what is considered useful for the amount of points that they do cost. My army does contain a wave serpent and fire prism if that matters to you.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always give my Serpents Bright Lances, most of the time I dont need anti-infantry because they're carrying a full squad of DAs with Bladestorm, 3 BS is pretty terrible though for such a powerful weapon, EML is nice and balanced but I gun my serpents with no upgrades except Bright Lances.
    If you you thought my post was helpful, or you just liked it, use the Rep button.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by john15 View Post
    I have been wondering for some time now about which vehicle upgrades for any tank are worth the points, and after seeing the wave serpent armaments post I thought I would create this one asking the opinion of everyone. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am not quite sure what is considered useful for the amount of points that they do cost. My army does contain a wave serpent and fire prism if that matters to you.

Thanks!
    For wave serpeants I always take spirit stones, since they are a transport they always need to be moving so their precious cargo makes it the fight on time. Star engines are over kill in my opinion and vectored engines are almost irrelevent in 5th edition. The shuriken cannon upgrade isnt useful to me because i always move at least 12" with it so I only get to fire the turret, The only time its ever been useful is when I get my turret blown off and I have the hull mounted cannon still. But i rarely ever take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I always give my Serpents Bright Lances, most of the time I dont need anti-infantry because they're carrying a full squad of DAs with Bladestorm, 3 BS is pretty terrible though for such a powerful weapon, EML is nice and balanced but I gun my serpents with no upgrades except Bright Lances.
    BS3 doesnt really matter much because it is twin linked.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

For the weapons, it depends on what else I have in my list. Its cliche sounding but true. The smaller the point games I play, the more inclined I am to mount Bright Lances on my serpents. 1000 to 1250 is the golden number for me. Within this range, Serpents are my main tanks, and I equip them as such, and usually Ill run 3 if I can afford it.

Above 1250, I start to equip them with EMLs, and leave the tank popping to prisms/wraithlords. EMLs can still pop most vehicles, and are much better against the average footman you'll run into (I'm not counting terminators here)

The ONLY time I will EVER take Shruiken cannons on them as a catapult upgrade is when I take EMLs, so I can pop a plasma missile off and fire the cannons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I almost exclusively take all Shuriken cannons on Wave Serpents. They're cheap and reliable. They have a nice rate of fire and decent strength. Plus, Wave Serpents are supposed to get up close to the fighting so the range is never a problem.
    I also always take Spirit Stones. They're transports and they need it.

Recently, I've been taking EML on one of my Wave Serpents. I keep this one behind the main force much of the time and have it rescue troops squads near death. Then, I sit the Wave Serpent on an objective and enjoy the 48" range of the EML.

I never upgrade the shuriken catapults.

For Fire Prisms, I never take holofields. Their prism cannon has a really long range and holofields are expensive. Just keep out of range of everything and you should be fine.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never leave home without holofields, on wave serpents, they do pure goodness, unless in rear armour, harly anything can get through with all those shields

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by john13 View Post
    i never leave home without holofields, on wave serpents, they do pure goodness, unless in rear armour, harly anything can get through with all those shields

Huh? Holofields on Wave Serpents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my bad.^^^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

@john13 - Wave Serpents can't have holo-fields.

I'd say the only time you might want the underslung Shuricannon upgrade is when you have the twin linked EML as the main weapon. This way you can do some infantry or light vehicle hunting.

My opinion is to always have the Spirit Stones on the Serpents. They are meant to move units around, if they aren't doing that then they are failing at being Serpents.

Holo-fields are nice for tanks if you don't have that many high priority targets for your opponent to shoot at. And if you have points over and nothing worthwhile to spend them on it's a great way to increase the survivability of vehicles, but oftentimes you won't need this extra insurance.

Spirit Stones have actually become better for regular tanks too in my eyes, it allows you to keep moving, thus protecting you from assaults if you were to take a hit. (I love watching orks roll their 6 powerclaw attacks and miss in CC.) Though generally this won't be an issue as you can stay away from most danger with your speed. Still, I think it's a viable option to consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats why i posted my comment above, i realised they cacnt have HF after i cheched my dex, i had necer used them with it(even though you cant) anyway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast