Avatar Worth it??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the avatar worth it

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's an amazing model and is brutal on the battlefield

25 55.56%
  • No, hes too low in strength and toughness, and acts as a fire magnet.

4 8.89%
  • i dont use an avatar

10 22.22%
  • hes a good model, but doesnt live up to expectation against other IC's

6 13.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the avatar any good, how does it stats line up against other enemy models, and what is the guys limit of destruction, for instace, can he kill marneus calgaer, or vulkan he'stan???
    has anybody ever seen a avatar carrying an axe?? i like the idea, but the GW comes with a sword, and the FW with a spear but i have never seen an axe. is there a reason for this? also, looking at the GW model, would it be faily easy to elongate the arm spikes with GS as they are quite small.
    also why only strength and toughness 6,
    this is a god we're talking about!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

I have no experience with the Avatar, but in the Codex it says "The Wailing Doom is a weapon of immense power that may take the form of a vicious spear, a mighty sword, or a many-bladed axe." So yes, it can indeed be an axe.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know it can carry an axe, i waqs wondering if anybody had ever actually senn a model with an axe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes like a bad wraithlord imo, whos only saving grace is the Fearless and the 12' Melta I prefer either Eldrad / Yriel when it comes to our special characters.
    If you you thought my post was helpful, or you just liked it, use the Rep button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the avatar to be good in non-mech lists. He is too slow to keep up in a mech-list, but otherwise I find him to be dangerous as well as difficult to kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Hes like a bad wraithlord imo, whos only saving grace is the Fearless and the 12' Melta I prefer either Eldrad / Yriel when it comes to our special characters.
    You should note that wraithlords are fearless as well as the avatar, as they are ghost warriors who don't really have emotion (but yes, the avatar does project his fearlessness I think, which is a slight bonus). Anyways, while the avatar has a lower toughness than a wraithlord, I have found him to be much hardier thanks to his 4+ invul save and 1 extra wound. The biggest weakness of wraithlords IMO is that they are extremely susceptible to power fists in close combat. Also, strength 6 may seem low but keep in mind that you will still be wounding most infantry units on a 2+ (and still causing instant death on anything with T3). I do agree, however, that the strength 10 on the wraithlords is very useful - especially against vehicles - as to not even damage a land raider you would have to roll either two 1s or a 1 and a 2 for armor penetration. The 12" str 8 ap 1 melta weapon on the avatar is quite useful as well. The avatar has BS 5, if I remember correctly, so it will hit fairly reliably and the ap 1 is quite useful for raising the damage it will cause on vehicles. It is a good way to lead into an assault as well. Think: the range for its melta bonus is 6". Your assault range? 6" as well. Since he isn't fleet of foot anyway, it can basically be used as a bonus str 8 ap 1 attack with 2D6 for armor penetration when you are assaulting a vehicle. The avatar also has more base attacks than the wraithlord so it is about on par with the wraithlord when attacking vehicles.

In summary, the relatively low strength and toughness of the avatar is not quite as bad as it initially may seem. The avatar has been known to trash unit after unit without taking much damage. The invul save is one of the biggest redeeming factors for the avatar when compared to wraithlords, allowing it to survive far longer despite its lower toughness. Overall, I think if you are taking a footslogging army you should definately have an avatar and probably at least one wraithlord. They definately both have their uses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For his points he is very hard to go past. Combined with fortune, he can take an immense amount of punishment before going down. Powerful in close combat (although I am not a fan of the fearless rule when it come to losing combat) and scares the crap out of the opposition.
    Avatar of the Avatar, pure genius!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elendor View Post
    I find the avatar to be good in non-mech lists. He is too slow to keep up in a mech-list, but otherwise I find him to be dangerous as well as difficult to kill.
    You should note that wraithlords are fearless as well as the avatar, as they are ghost warriors who don't really have emotion (but yes, the avatar does project his fearlessness I think, which is a slight bonus). Anyways, while the avatar has a lower toughness than a wraithlord, I have found him to be much hardier thanks to his 4+ invul save and 1 extra wound. The biggest weakness of wraithlords IMO is that they are extremely susceptible to power fists in close combat. Also, strength 6 may seem low but keep in mind that you will still be wounding most infantry units on a 2+ (and still causing instant death on anything with T3). I do agree, however, that the strength 10 on the wraithlords is very useful - especially against vehicles - as to not even damage a land raider you would have to roll either two 1s or a 1 and a 2 for armor penetration. The 12" str 8 ap 1 melta weapon on the avatar is quite useful as well. The avatar has BS 5, if I remember correctly, so it will hit fairly reliably and the ap 1 is quite useful for raising the damage it will cause on vehicles. It is a good way to lead into an assault as well. Think: the range for its melta bonus is 6". Your assault range? 6" as well. Since he isn't fleet of foot anyway, it can basically be used as a bonus str 8 ap 1 attack with 2D6 for armor penetration when you are assaulting a vehicle. The avatar also has more base attacks than the wraithlord so it is about on par with the wraithlord when attacking vehicles.

In summary, the relatively low strength and toughness of the avatar is not quite as bad as it initially may seem. The avatar has been known to trash unit after unit without taking much damage. The invul save is one of the biggest redeeming factors for the avatar when compared to wraithlords, allowing it to survive far longer despite its lower toughness. Overall, I think if you are taking a footslogging army you should definately have an avatar and probably at least one wraithlord. They definately both have their uses.
    Nice analysis, I would run one if I were footslogging like you said but I run Mechdar with 2 fireprisms and pretty much everything but the kitchen sink in a Waveserpent the Avatar is a very nice Firemagnet

I find Eldrad more useful though in my list, always wounding on a 2+, redeploying at the start of the game to mess up your opponents strategy and 3 powers a turn for only 60 more points than an Avatar,

Granted instead of wasting a heavy support on a WL you could grab an Avatar for roughly the same points, I put Bright Lances on my lords and the extra range really does help when it comes to busting tanks.

2 Wraithlords and an Avatar marching down center field...what a scary thought. I think a lone Avatar wont be able to take out much though,which is what the majority of Eldar players use because they think hes just a giant badass who can solo Vulcan or a squad of GKTs but mixed with a unit of Footsloggers/some Wraithlords is where he would really shine imo.
    If you you thought my post was helpful, or you just liked it, use the Rep button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

i've rapid fire gaussed one to death

just sayin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I've had a lone Firedragon take down a monolith =)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Hes good for foot slogging armies. However, foot slogging eldar suck.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast