40K Ard Boyz Finals - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

40K Ard Boyz Finals

40K 'Ard Boyz Tournament Overview: Page 5 | Games Workshop

Crap, not even one tau player in the finals, are we really that bad?
    I was really hoping to see at least one or two players..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Padea View Post
    40K 'Ard Boyz Tournament Overview: Page 5 | Games Workshop

Crap, not even one tau player in the finals, are we really that bad?
    I was really hoping to see at least one or two players..
    No we are not that bad. I know plenty of players on here, ATT etc that could take a list and do very well in any contest.

The IG list that won is truly awful and there has been a quite horrible argument between BOLS and Stelek (Yes the truth hurts) about this very list and the Ard Boyz win. I do not have much time for Stelek but he is dead on about how bad the IG list is and the BOLS members commenting on his wife's miscarriage is so not right it is pitiful.

See for yourself here LINK>Yes The Truth Hurts: Critique: "Leafblower", Bols, and getting it wrong...again.

Also I have included a link to the BOLS article about the win LINK>Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy & Wargaming News | Bell of Lost Souls: Battle report: Ard Boys Round 1!

See the post from DAZZ and what follows it. I think you will get a good idea of how poor a representation of what 'GOOD' 40K play Adepticon is. The GT has its faults in the UK but it is head and shoulders above Adepticon (if only GT was 2000pts)

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

You should see some of the debate on here over in the IG forum. Personally, that IG list was utter crap. I was surprised he won with it. It was unoriginal and boring: no diversity whatsoever
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Thats a shame that we didnt represent at all. Oh well, next year I fully intend on trying again. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine!
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

'Ard Boyz is not a competitive tournament. Wonky missions for most of it, lots of wonky scoring options to try and make just 3 games equate to 3 clear "winners".... It's a lousy tournament. Fun, I'm sure, but in no way actually 'Ard. It's a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

I'm not saying Darkwynn didn't deserve to win, or that he's a bad player. But to win 'Ard Boyz, you need to be more than good or deserving. You have to be lucky. Luck plays too large a role in the tournament to be what it advertises itself to be.

The Adepticon singles tournament is at least no different than any other RTT. I strongly dislike sportsmanship scoring and painting figuring into the final tallies (I've won the Best Sportsman in every tourney I've ever entered save one, and I still think it's a terrible idea to combine sportsmanship with battle results), but this is the way of things here in the US, so what are you gonna do? I want to play in tournaments, but I think they all suck in at least this respect.

Adepticon Gladiator has morphed into the worst thing EVER. The fact that BoLS takes pride in the fact that they were rich enough to guarantee a victory irks me to no end.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

In Aus we play with a lot of soft scores in our tourneys and the community is very happy with it. I am actually delighted to see others comming on board.

The guard list is a little meh in my books. Not what I would expect. I agree with #6 that it seems luck plays an overly large part in this setup.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

i just cant beleive this list won! i wouldve taken him on with 1850pt. army too and i cant see much of a challenge! i mean the only thing to be scared of would be the valks and they're railgun foder for us! overall i just cant beleive my eyes.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

News flash - Rock beats scissors in final!!!!!

Other news - Paper can't believe a crappy rock that it could smash on any day beat scissors!!
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    News flash - Rock beats scissors in final!!!!!

Other news - Paper can't believe a crappy rock that it could smash on any day beat scissors!!
    Bad analogy Skars, rock always beats scissors and paper always beats rock. Certainty of outcome applies, however the point being made here is that the list is inferior yet he won the tournie. I could put together a 2500 Tau list that would beat that list the majority of the time and so could any half decent player of any other army.
    However getting overly stressed or upset because someone won a tournie (no matter how bad the list) is a waste of time because luck is a big factor and other stuff comes into play.

Take this example for instance.
    Years ago I entered a regional conflict qualifier and took my Tau list. The list was not brilliant (this was first Tau codex early days) but I played well (beat Eldar, Chaos World eaters and Iron Warriors lists) but I actually drew for first place and won the tournie on sportsmanship (fair enough).

I won a ticket to Leeds Conflict and this time took my Wolves because I was more experienced with them and the army was much better painted.
    Again I won all my games but lost on painting and 'sportsmanship'.
    Thing is in this tournie I was actually more of a sportsman than I was in the other tournie and the Wolves army I used was beautifully painted (some may remember the pictures I posted here in the past with the landraider with full Wolfs head painted on the side). Yet in this tournie I got worse marks for sportsmanship and less points for painting than I got for my Tau (which were nice but not a patch on the Wolves army).

I had a better army with the Wolves, played better (I had more experience with Wolves) the army was much better painted and I won all my games yet I lost the conflict (I would have got a free GT ticket so I was pissed of).
    My long winded point is tournies are not a fixed entity, you can never take enough into account to ensure a win. To much outside the actual game play affects the outcome.
    Judges are human with all their bias and I have lost count of the times I have had to 'educate' GWjudges/staff and independent tournie judges about basic rules they should know.
    Luck, we have all had those WTF lucky opponent moments that cost you a game.
    Sportsmanship relies to much on the opponents honesty, how many have received bad marks from the person you just tabled?.
    Painting should not be part of scoring full stop. Have a separate award for army presentation but paint on an army has nothing to do with gameplay and should not be used to decide winners.
    Comp, please do not get me started on that load of crap. Comp should be got rid of full stop.

Like 6 said luck plays to much of a part in Adepticon but other stuff plays its part to and from what I have read about the tournie, its game reports, the winning list and other related stuff I would not take part on an Adepticon if they paid me to play because no matter how good the list or player the experience would be frustrating to say the least.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; September 27th, 2009 at 13:53.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Keep in mind that Adepticon is more than one event. Just on the 40K side, there is Gladiator, the Doubles, and the Singles. Gladiator is total crap, as proven by BoLS own blog leading up to and reporting after the event. So long as you are rich enough, you can beat face. Stupidest idea for a tournament EVER.

The Doubles is a LOT of fun. But don't expect to win unless you are rich. Much of your score depends on your display, team theme, etc. It's impossible to compete unless you have the money AND time AND skillz to devote to that. I've gone two years running -- and will go again -- because it's about the most fun playing 40K that I've ever had. But I have to go entirely disabusing myself of ever winning. We've won all our games and not even come close to placing, so ... it is what it is.

And like I said before, the Singles is no different than any other RTT. Either you like that format ... or you don't. I strongly disagree with any soft scoring in any tournament -- which is why I doubly despise the rules for Gladiator, because I would otherwise play in that one for it's total lack of soft scores -- but other than Gladiator and 'Ard Boyz -- both extremely flawed -- all tournaments involve a considerable amount of soft scoring.

E.g., I missed 1st place in last February's Con of the North by just 2 painting points. The guy who won 1st I actually nearly tabled in the 2nd round! I won Best Sportsman instead. I call that problematic. His army was admittedly Golden Daemon-worthy. And that was what beat me.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast