Carnifex worth its points or just a graveyard for them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are Carnifexes worth their points

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL NO get away from me crazy person!

3 4.00%
  • Not really

5 6.67%
  • I must say i do

22 29.33%
  • YEAH and if you say otherwise i will slap you!

45 60.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnifex worth its points or just a graveyard for them?

I have only recently started playing but i have come to the conclusion i don't think carnifexes are worth the points. this is because it has no counter to a few lascannons or even worse a hero with a power fist and an invulnerable save. people say you can use it to shoot but i don't believe so. A venom cannon and a barbed strangler...... WOW (Not) i cant hurt those pesky tanks with either and the barbed strangler is ineffective against anything with a 4+ or lower Armour save. i know this probably sounds really nooby but what do you think?

I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must be doing it wrong.

Keep them cheap.

Try running 6x "Elite" style Carnifexes and 2 Hive Tyrants and tell me how effective they are.

Try dakkafexes or boomfexes.

If you drop 200+ points onto a Carnifex, 90% of the time they wont make their points back.

At 115 points though, they will be quite effective.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks so just go talons and toxin sacs?
    I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard this about carnifexes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateGork View Post
    ok thanks so just go talons and toxin sacs?
    Never waste points on toxin sacs for a carnifex.

Try out some of these 4 builds....

2x Scything talons
    NOTHING ELSE!!!

2x TL Dev
    Enhanced Senses
    NOTHING ELSE!!!

Barbed Strangler
    Scything talons
    NOTHING ELSE!!!

Scything Talons
    Crushing Claws
    Extended Carapace
    Bonded Exoskeleton
    Reinforced Chitin
    NOTHING ELSE!!!

Also, dont bother running only 1.
    It will get targetted.

Try running at least 4.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you i will now go commit suicide by falling asleep on the many carnifex pieces left behind. Everyone can cyber slap me for my silly mistake and i will laugh as in my dreams 6 carnifexes and 2 hive tyrants massacre tiny guardsmen as my hordes of screaming gaunts pour onto them Mwahahaha. but wouldn't a invulnerable save kick butt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately you wont like tyranids if you find carnifexes not worth their points.

Imo every kind of gaunt is overpriced. Hormagaunts are at least 3 points too much with their current stats (compare them to fenrisian wolves)

And theres a lot else besides that are iffy at best.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

As you say a big problem for fexs is powerfisted (not characters because you can target them) but sargents, nobs ect. The problem is you just slap wounds on the expendible units and the big powerclaw comes in and kills you.

Also las- and particulary plamsa fire is a pain, but, there is a way to take out tanks, albeitet temporarily.
    these are the main ways.

Spam them with so many targets something gets through.
    Use a lictor, if close enough to hit it, 4 S6 attacks, will probably do some damage, especially if it hasnt moved.
    genestealers are effective, but can be used in better places
    this last one ive been converted to recently, its the TL venom cannon. Whilst very expensive, you are almost guarnteed to hit something, and with s10 you should glance. the main result you are looking for IMO is then a 5, which will take the weapon off, and that should neuter a lot of fex killers (vindicators, leman russ varients, fire prisms ect)

As for combat, ive taken to running fexs in pair for combat, or running them with 6 warriors with deathspitters and tallons. they can provide enough attacks to cut through some more models, and maybe kill the fist in there.

Hopefully this will help you out a bit, but also the fex and tyrant build file is well worth a look, thats got just about every fex in excistance in there.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Personally I've tried running 3x heavy CCfexes (187pts with tusks, CC, ST, +I, +WS, TM, +T, +W, flesh hooks) and they were fun, though horrible against mech. I've also tried 2x sniperfexes with+W before and they work well. I haven't really tried elite fexes.

Overall I think that fexes are pretty much a required part of the nid army. In terms of shooting you're SoL against mech without a sniperfex and even if you want to do more of a CC army then crusher fexes work quite well against things such as dreads which are quite annoying for most nids to take out.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

My favorite thing to do with Carnifexes is the traditional "Sniperfex" and the Elite "Dakkafex" builds.

A Sniperfex has a Venom Cannon and Barbed Strangler. Oftentimes I also give it Enhanced Senses and occasionally I give it an extra wound if I expect it to get shot. Nevertheless, this build works decently against vehicles and really hurts orks and even marines.

A Dakkafex has two twin-linked Devourers. Occasionally I give it enhanced senses, but Twin-Linked oftentimes is okay on its own. With volume of fire alone with STR6 shots, this hurts almost anything that is not a vehicle. If a vehicle gets too close, feel free to charge it as well.

The biggest boon to using Carnifexes is to field many of them. I regularly field 4 if I want to be at least competitive with my more important Carnificies having an extra wound. Consider taking at least three and seeing how your opponent feels.
    Also, I like to spread out my Carnifexes as much as possible in order to suggest to my opponent to divide his fire between them. If his entire army focuses on one Carnifex, it will go down. If his entire army divides fire between three or four or even six, you will be unlucky to lose even one.

Finally, if you're tired of Carnifexes being fire magnets, run a Hive Tyrant. Those things are arguably better than a Carnifex is almost every way and provide an incredible fire magnet.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast