Necron CC units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Necron CC units

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron CC units

Howdy Tomb,
    I'm trying to get 2 different army builds going, one shooty and one for CC (with some shooty) and would like to ask what units you use and why. I may or may not be purchasing these before the new codex (please give us some way of penetrating armor!)

So the list as I understand it is as follows
    Scarabs (cheap, weak, use up FA slot, high squad size, multi-wounds, non-necrons, can turbo boost and get great cover saves)
    Flayed Ones (use up Elite choice, might become troops, can infiltrate, necrons, terrifying visage, decent initiative, fair squad size)
    Wraiths (use FA slot, necrons, invulnerable save, high initiative and strength, no special armor penetration, wraithflight, low squad size, expensive)
    Tomb Spyders (Heavy support, artificer, ignores saves, MC, supports WBB, slow, good unit size for MC)
    Pariahs (good ranged attack, soulless, ignore saves, low attacks, low initiative, non-necrons, no WBB, expensive, attractive targets, slow movement speed)
    C'Tan (expensive, characters, insane stats, special rules, CC monsters)
    Lord (can get D-Body and scythe, good stats compared to other 'crons, if keeps staff of light gets good shooting attack)

So what units are worth their weight in CC and what units are best left on the shelf?

Dark Lord of the 'Crons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

This largely depends on what SORT of CC army you would like to field with your Necrons. There are two "types" and the mixes of them can vary a bit.

The first is the Fear army. Utilizing Pariahs and Flayed Ones in conjunction to tag team bomb other army's leadership. Flayed ones provide weight of attacks and durability versus heavy fire, While the Pariahs provide cover fire and strength of attacks against heavy armor. The Deceiver can make a good centerpiece, throwing leadership bombs around and later charging in to the opponents REALLY tough units and showing them what CC should look like.

Alternatively there is the Wraithwing. Instead of the plodding, inevitable horror of a fear list, Wraithwings hit fast and hard, striking soft support targets and shredding them, before hammering into the opponent's assault units. The key to this one is of course a Wraithlord, and FULL squads of wraiths. A squad of scarabs might be good to have around for durability purposed, as would deep struck/infiltrated flayed ones and a deep struck monolith. It takes heavy amounts of finesse as Wraiths are just not that durable at the end of the day. (against small arms fire mind)

To be honest I'm unsure of the effectiveness of Necron CC lists in 5ed. I find that tomb spyders remain highly effective, though scarabs a bit less so. Another thing to remember is Necron combat units are more scalpels than hammers, but if you have enough scalpels, you could just rip off somebody's arm with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

I think a variation of this might be a place to start

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...heese-not.html

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

I disagree with tomb spyders being expensive, Sithcron Lord. Fifth edition has brought major improvements for them!
    Majority toughness in favor of the higher toughness, majority cover save in favor of the cover save, and so on. Create a scarab base and put it into cover (maybe a ruin). You've now got five wounds of very high toughness with a 3+ cover save! Was I annoyed when my opponent did that with his tomb spyders...
    Sure, the scarab base won't do much except take wounds, but that's all it needs. The tomb spyder ignores armor saves. It won't get rid of kroot or guardsmen for you, but it is very fearsome against MEQ - I experience it every game (as I play MEQ). Since the spyder is fearless it can tie the enemy up for quite some time and can, more importantly, save your Necron models from being swept. Hurl it into combat along your flayed ones and even if you lose the combat and run - you can't get run down.
    Not a dedicated close combat unit, not at all. But a very fine support unit for its points that can take advantage of fifth edition rules through its artificer special rule in an almost broken way...

Scarabs won't do much damage in killed models either, but they can certainly be quite annoying, tying the enemy up, slowing it down and taking wounds in favor of your Necron models. Again they are support, but they can have quite some effect on enemy tactics, especially if your opponent chooses to target them with ranged fire after you turboboost. Go, terminator swarms!
    Even if all they do is contest an objective end-game they have done their job very well already...

For a Necron close combat army you will definitely want to have a Necron lord with destroyer body and warscyth (and phase shifter). Run him with wraiths in a close combat list as Alzer stated to take advantage of the mobility, but running him with whatever you've got will be just fine.
    Even in a shooty list running this guy with some scarabs is great. It's a very fast, hard-hitting unit that's almost impossible to kill with shooting attacks, and in the assault the lord is very high toughness and has an invulnerable save while he can easily take out even those fearsome storm shield terminators...

Other than that Alzer's post sums up the rest pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

they're 22 bucks a piece what do you mean they're not expensive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I meant the model is expensive. Dropping $35 bucks on a C'Tan I'll use 2K+ points is okay with me, but getting 3-6 spyders is kinda pushing my budget. Though tomb spyders are well worth their points, there are always 2 currencies in 40k, the one we use at the table and the one GW takes.
    ----------
    I figure that what I'm aiming for is a quick, more mobile CC force. I'd probably use the warriors and a lord to shoot/take objectives while my CC wreaks havoc amongst the foolish Tau! (obviously that's the army I'm going to try to wipe out, but I might run the list against guardsmen)
    Dark Lord of the 'Crons

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sithcron Lord View Post
    I'm sorry I meant the model is expensive.
    A misunderstanding! I'm very sorry. I apologize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run with 6x Wraiths and a Destroyer Lord w/ warscythe. Destroyers usually provide cover. Out of my last three games, No one has killed my DLORD yet (hehe). I usually run with 2x Monoliths between 1.5k and 2k. 3x Monoliths over 2k. Almost everyone can't help but target them first giving my WraithWing time to get into CC. I love slicing vehicles with warscythe.

IMG00190-20090919-1604.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

That's a nice conversion you did to your Destroyer lord.

+ Reply to Thread