Kitting out a wraithlord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Kitting out a wraithlord

I am still going slowly with my fledgling eldar force. And I have bought a wraithlord to add to my army.

But how best to kit it out?

I have had friends recommend

Brightlance and Starcannon, or
    Brightlance and Missilelauncher.

Any other ideas or comments on the above choices?

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

The most common and competitive builds for Wraithlords are:
    ---Bright Lance and Missile Launcher
    ---Wraithsword (Add on a Shuriken Cannon if you feel you really want those few shots and not running)

Other usable options, but less efficient for the points you pay are:
    ---Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon (We have much better platforms for S6 shots, and for less points.)
    ---Wraithsword and Bright Lance (Conflicting wargear, sword wants to go forward into combat, and the Bright Lance wants to sit back.)

All other builds are not seen on internet lists, and are generally regarded as not worth it, or there is a much better alternative.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I tend to run for a tankbusting option, myself, when I play/make lists/whatever. It's a shame to let the above average BS go to waste on anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

just make sure to magnetize it so you can switch stuff on and off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I avoid wraithlords entirely. They have no place in my mech list. But If I were to run one I'd put on Brightlance/EML
    If you you thought my post was helpful, or you just liked it, use the Rep button.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I am yet to build mine, but have way too many things to do for a tournament list before I start with plush ones.

I do have almost everything magnetized... guns, hands etc. One of the more versitile combos I think is a lance or EML and a sword. You generally will hang around one of the objectives or it will be your goal to reach one by the end of the game and contest or secure it, lance will give you some ranged power so you are not totally useless for 3-4 turns, and sword is there to make sure you dont get bogged down by 10 guardsmen with a commisar for an entire game.

Lia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I run mines (2) with Wraithsword, Eldar Missile Launcher, 1 Flamer & 1 Shuriken Cat (With the EML you don't need a 2nd plamer as you can just shoot a plasma at pointblank and not care much about any scattering, the shuriken cat sucks, but when you are shooting something within 12" but not within flamer range every shots help.). Hilarious when the EML pop a transport of something squishie who can't hurt the Lord and you get to assault it. Tau's Fire Warriors in Devilfish for example. At 125 it's a steal.

It's job is to put the smack down of Khaine on whatever it get to assault, the EML is just to make it feel useful the rest of the time. ;P

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I like your idea Lia, I will have one cat and one flamer.

I like the idea of having two heavy weapons though. Having the two strength 8 weapons seems to be a popular option.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Lord has a Sword and Brightlance, but it seldom manages to do much with its stupid lance. I think I have convinced myself that it will fail and thereore it frequently does. It did destroy a Rhino when I used it last though. But the next time I fired the lance, it got a 1 on the damage roll against some other tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wraithlord kit options:

I'm a really naff tactician because I tend to let fluff get in the way:
    I have three Wraithlord under construction:

#1&2 accompany my 2x(10 wraithguard + 'enhance' spiritseer) troop units & have 2 catapults, wraith-sword & scatter laser to bulk up the number of shots. Shame they can't mount D-cannon; I wonder what the cost would be (+30)?

#3 contains the spirit of a striking scorpion & is armed with a pair of catapults, wraith-sword & mandibasters (= shuriken cannon as it is a 'short range' assault weapon not that this makes any difference to a wraithlord). Wonder how much a 'chamelion cloak' would cost it so it could infiltrate (+20)?

If I were to consider another it would house a reaper spirit and I'ld leave it at the back to add potential cobative strength against deep strikes to the 3xWalker with paired EMLs + 'doom/guide' Farseer. Would use the ill considered 2 catapult + twinlinked EML option.

What I'm saying is just 'cause everyone agrees x+y is most effective doesn't mean you have to follow suit, especially if you have a specific role in mind & fluff support.
    Yours Kev of Iyanden

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast