Tyranid bases. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyranid bases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid bases.

I'm closing in on having a fully painted playable army and have saved all the bases for last, mostly because i have very little imagination, also that they're not that essential for the gameplay.

I have one idea though. To make them half n' half, so the front half of the base will be lush and green with dark, rich soil and the back half is just grey rocks and burnt grass, to show that nids leave only death where life once was!

How do YOU make your tyranid bases, and how would you like to make them but can't be bothered to because it's just too much work?

Also, when pimping a HQ base what special details do you put on it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

When i did my bases, i did much the same thing, half rocks, half grass. unfortunatly not beacuse i thought of that, just because it looks great. As a note, if you can find some purple heather, it does look very niddy and scorched as such.

As for HQ embelishment, i like to stick bits of opponent to my bases, i currently have several bits of ork lying around on my tyrants base. Also rippers look very interesting, especially when used in conjunction with bits of dead model.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to point up the ideas of the whole planet dying, and tyranids being lurky little bugs, so I base them sneaking around in tall yellow grass or peeking out from behind fallen logs. And, of course, a fair number of them are leaping out to maul things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I do base grey stone/rock with some grass sprinkled in. Not because it's supposed to "look" like anything, more because I just like it. If it's a larger fig I'll put some rubble on it as-well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am doing mine with an ash looking base to represent the latter stages of the invasion where most of the planet is dead and the hive fleet is wiping out the last bastion of defenders.
    "We are Retribution Personified!"
    ~Thomas Resinus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I have these bases I have made.

This one is for the Malanthrope, I did it to show all the dead bodies that a Malanthrope scavenges and the wierd Tyranid life that grows up after the swarm passes. I got the dead bits from the Zombie sprue.

This one is from my Barbed Hierodule and is done up with water effects to look like a Tyranid swamp. I added lots of smaller bugs that are partly sunk into the swamp to look like they are swimming in it. There is also one larger pic of the Hierodule to show where the swamp is in relation to the model.

Here is a baby Genestealer on a Lictor's base.

This is the base of a Converted Carnifex.

This is Scorpion Tyrant. I don't have any close up pics of his base but if you look closely you can see there are little scorpions running about on his base. I got the scorpions from the Tomb swarm, though they were very hard to cut off. There are also a few bones and stuff as well.

Hope this helps.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

This will sound lame after Leech's awesome bases but I think a reasonably plain ash base but with a red weed would work. It's got the nice alien look and ties in with War of the Worlds, which is always cool.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

As a sidenote, what coulours did you use for the chitin/carapace Leech? Looking to do something similiar, just on white-skinned tyranids

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarb View Post
    As a sidenote, what coulours did you use for the chitin/carapace Leech? Looking to do something similiar, just on white-skinned tyranids
    I paint the carapace black. I don't just rely on the spray but apply a fresh coat of black paint because it gives better results. I then use scaly green and drybrush the carapace towards the edge. I make sure I leave a fair amount of black there. GW has discontinued scaly green so if you don't have it you can use a dark-aqua-green. I then use a mix of scaly green a white and drybrush that on too. I then drybrush it with white.

I then use black to shade the recesses of the carapace which reinforces the black and defines the green. It also handles as unintentional green or white getting into the cracks. This is all then given an ink stain with viridian green. Viridian green is a winsor and newton ink and is a cold, aqua green. Here is a link to some of them.Winsor & Newton Drawing Inks - Discount Art Materials from Chromos Art Supplies, Craft Materials, Canvas, Brushes, Watercolour, Acrylic Paint, Oil Paint

After this is dry I use a fine detail brush to pick out the edges and highlights with white. Hoep this helps you out with your bugs, tell me how it goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast