Jaws Of The World Wolf - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Jaws Of The World Wolf

Unfortunately, I've had to face off against the Space Dogs a lot lately. In my games, the Space Dog Rune Priest has been the single most killy model on the entire table. In one sadly memorable game, I lost 5 Crisis Suits to a single use of this power. It's not all bad news though:

I have won every single game against the Space Wolves, so far.

However, the sheer destruction caused by a Rune Priest arriving by Drop Pod is concerning. So far, I can't come up with anything to defend myself. Does anyone have any ideas or tips for mitigating the Crisis-hate this power has?

2H - LEGIO HYDRA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

there is no defense against a unit that's able to strike down with a drop pod safely whereever it wants and that may kill important units within the same turn.

the only thing we can do is to prevent it from killing to much of our valuable units by spreading them accros the board and killing the priest in our next turn.

Just play your crisis devided accros the whole board (something I do often, it's really helpful since your opponent will almost never get out of your LoS this way) and shot the priest down with a Fireknife commander the turn after it came down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they would bring back overwatch... lets see them deepstrike then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're that desperate for overwatch get a DH army and an inquisitor
    less hate more kittens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Maybe I'm reading too much into this and being a bit cheesy but the rules for Jaws of the World Wolf state that "monstrous creatures, beasts, cavalry, bikes and infantry" must make the initiative test.
    Jump infantry are a different type of unit to infantry and so by ommission do not need to take the test and are thus unaffected by the power. Likewise, by ommission vehicles, jetbikes and artillery are immune to jaws of the World Wolf.

This is my interpretation of the rules, and I know I'm not the only one. Hopefully an FAQ will be published soon to clarify.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

It's a tough one.

But getting 5 suits fragged in one use of the power is a bit unlucky.

I use vehicles to flank the suits, they reduce the threat bubble of the JOWW significantly.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Does JotWW get blocked by vehicles? I'm not aware of that. If true, that would be awesome.

As much as I was very fearful about how "infantry" would get interpreted when the codex first appeared, it does seem that GW's intention with the rule is that only "normal infantry" are affected. That means our crisis suits are immune to the power, though our broadsides will still get swallowed. (Especially with their terrible Initiative value.)

Otherwise, keep your fire warriors buttoned up in their Devilfish! As soon as you put them on the table, you are just asking for them to get killed. This is generally true no matter who you face. But now doubly true when facing Space Wolf Rune Priests.

There is no real solution for Kroot, sadly, as for them to even be useful they have to be on the table. Keep in mind that Kroot are the major part of your deep strike defense. It's OK to deploy them in a perimiter to keep drop pods away from your more valuable units. It's OK to sacrifice them for the Greater Good, even if they are Troops. Keeping your army alive, keeping your most offensive elements alive -- even in an objectives game -- is more important than failing in the attempt to keep flimsy Tau Troops alive. Don't lose the game just because you are afraid to sacrifice Kroot. You should have at least two more Troops units available to you anyway.

Otherwise, don't deploy in a line. Stagger your infantry models all the time to try and minimize the number of models touched by JotWW.

IMHO -- and even in the opinion of notorious power gamers on the web -- this is one of two "game-breaking" powers that the new SW codex has pushed onto us 40K gamers, so we're going to have to adjust to that reality. Fortunately, we're not too badly hurt by this one. Not when compared to, say, Necrons, Orks, or Tyranids!

(The other "game-breaking" power is actually considerably more worrisome to me, personally, as a Tau player: Tempest's Wrath.)
    Last edited by number6; October 12th, 2009 at 01:46.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

vehicles do not block it. But they limit where the drop pod can deploy.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp_slug View Post
    Maybe I'm reading too much into this and being a bit cheesy but the rules for Jaws of the World Wolf state that "monstrous creatures, beasts, cavalry, bikes and infantry" must make the initiative test.
    Jump infantry are a different type of unit to infantry and so by ommission do not need to take the test and are thus unaffected by the power. Likewise, by ommission vehicles, jetbikes and artillery are immune to jaws of the World Wolf.

This is my interpretation of the rules, and I know I'm not the only one. Hopefully an FAQ will be published soon to clarify.
    Crisis suits are not classified as infantry and therefore will not be subject to this. If you want to get technical even though this does go back to 4rth ed, in an escalation battle you were able to deploy all infantry units. Crisis suits never could because they were jump infantry.

If you opponent has a problem with it, well tough cookie that their new kill all toy is just a little bit less effective.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHats View Post
    Unfortunately, I've had to face off against the Space Dogs a lot lately. In my games, the Space Dog Rune Priest has been the single most killy model on the entire table. In one sadly memorable game, I lost 5 Crisis Suits to a single use of this power. It's not all bad news though:

I have won every single game against the Space Wolves, so far.

However, the sheer destruction caused by a Rune Priest arriving by Drop Pod is concerning. So far, I can't come up with anything to defend myself. Does anyone have any ideas or tips for mitigating the Crisis-hate this power has?

SW/Tau player here.

1. Crisis suits are "Jump Infantry", not "infantry", so they won't be affected by JotWW.

2. Though the line passes through terrain, no runic power states "Doesn't need LoS". Go hide behind a vehicle or building, dang it!

Step 1 : Pop the pod, as its an eye-sore and blocks LoS.

Step 2. Since the RP, comes in a pod, he's in a squad. Use Kroot/Hound squad, stealth team with BCs, Torch crisis teams, etc ( just to name a few ) against them. Submission, from a railhead, works wonders too.

Step 3: Laugh your a** off!

Hope I helped

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast