Multi wound models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi wound models

Question: If you guys take 9 warriors in a squad do you normally equip them all differently?

I just heard about this part of the multi wound model rule that if you equip them differently you can distribute the wounds to each individual person. Effectivley you dont have to remove a warrior untill you suffer 10 wounds. (If they first 9 happen to land on unwounded models.)

I beleive that the rule book uses nobs as an example so i think this is right i just think its fairly dumb. 2 wounds should equal one dead model. (it makes it easier to keep track)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Let's see - do I equip my blokes so that I take minimal casualties? Yes, yes I bloody do. Hell I even do it with my single wound Vanguard squads so that I can make sure when I have to make lots of saves any fails are minimised (say a 5 man squad takes 10 wounds - as each model has two dice decicated to it and ONLY it if I fail two at once then I've only lost a single model).

If a rending warrior and a shooty warrior both take a wound at the same time, which model do you remove? You can't remove both...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Sigh. Stupid 5th ed. rulebook. The problem is that it also say you MUST consolidate wounds where possible. This means every two wounds is a model dead regardless in my book, you just choose which of the models with one wound get removed. The various outfits, just allow you to say, place the AP2 lascannon on the model not running around with your BS/VC/whatever is important in that squad.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only have to apply wounds to a previously wounded model per "group", which means you can avoid apply a wound to a model by choosing a different group first. I think building an army based on an exploit in the rules is lame, however, so I don't purposely build any units like that. My warriors are all the same build out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRob View Post
    You only have to apply wounds to a previously wounded model per "group", which means you can avoid apply a wound to a model by choosing a different group first. I think building an army based on an exploit in the rules is lame, however, so I don't purposely build any units like that. My warriors are all the same build out.
    The way I look at it is why would I ignore a section of the rules that could work to my own advantage, especially if my opponent is likely to use it to his? Why handicap yourself?
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Thing is the rulebook does state you need to consolidate wounds removing whole models where possible. My group and I have always taken this to mean, no matter what fancy tricks you try to pull, you remove a model once the squad has wounds on it equal to the wounds of one of the models.

Yes it would be nice if you could just shuffle wounds around, but you wouldn't be saying that after playing with people who ALL pull that trick with their MW models. It makes the game last much longer than necessary. It's also very much hardball RAW rules lawyering. Least I see it that way.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Ork players have been doing this since the 5th edition rules came out, with Nob bikers. Nob bikers, Tyranid Warriors, and Wolfguard are pretty much the only units that can really exploit this rule, although I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

As the rules are written, only multi-wound models that are identical to at least one other model in the unit have to be removed as a casualty before assigning an unsaved wound to an identical multi-wound model. It's easier to understand if you divide the unit into two groups: models that are identical to others in the unit, and models that are completely unique. Unique models do not have to be removed as a casualty until they're directly assigned wounds, and they fail their save.

So if your entire unit is unique (with at least one difference between each model) you can potentially have one wound on each model before removing any. Does this work? Yes. Should it work? No, clearly not. The rule was obviously not meant to be exploited this way, simply because it makes no logical sense. How would this actually work in battle?

Eventually, an errata will most likely fix it, but until then I wouldn't exploit this rule. It costs extra points (for pointless upgrades, taken just to make models unique) and won't win you any friends at the game table.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I agree with you in principle and build my lists in a manner that do not abuse the rule, it actually is extremely clear in the rule book, pg 26.

"Once you have determined the number of unsaved wounds suffered by a group of identical multiple-wound models, you must remove whole models as casualties where possible."

There is more on the page describing the procedure.

+ Reply to Thread