Tau Strategy (for noobs) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau Strategy (for noobs)

I've recently started Warhammer 40k and decided to go with the: Tau Empire: Battleforce and i was wondering what the best strategy is for the Tau. I'm completely new to this game so if you could explain it in newbie terms would be much appreciated. Also, are there any races that i should watch out for in case they can own the Tau?

Last edited by Marathax; October 29th, 2009 at 13:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Hi Marathax, welcome to the greater good.

In the main Tau forum page there are a number of threads stickied at the top of the page that are full of great information and tactics on good, interesting and fun ways to play Tau. I would suggest having a good read through those and then if you have any specific questions get back to us.

The best piece of advice I can give is this though:

Buy the codex, read it from cover to cover multiple times, play as many games as you can with ALL the different units to get an idea of how they play. Learning from experience is the only real way to get a good idea of how the Tau play.

Have a good one.
    Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

My first tip (besides reading the codex and the excellent articles both here and elsewhere), is "Don't get discouraged". The Tau are a very challenging race to play, but once you get used to them it's a beautiful thing
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

First step has to be "read the codex", because it not only gives background history to the Tau but also two primary ways which the the Tau use in their Art of War. However, a Tau army is not limited to these two methods and there are a number of good articles on the different styles of playing Tau.

One other good place to help you with Tau is to read batreps posted by other members. This helps you see the units in action, and sometimes the writer of the batrep will actually do a "what I learned from this" section, which is always to some extent beneficial to the readers.

Second step (once you've digested the codex etc!) is to buy the Battleforce, another box of Fire Warriors and perhaps a couple of Crisis Battlesuits. This would enable you to put together a 750pt army list quite easily and will give you an idea of how a small Tau list works together.

However: don't dive in and start buying everything on the shelves! That is the wrong way to go about things; you will spend money on things you may not ever use.

As for who will own Tau: every army can be owned by another one. It depends on the general, the army composition and those horrible little cuboids in particular!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Marathax View Post
    I've recently started Warhammer 40k and decided to go with the: Tau Empire: Battleforce and i was wondering what the best strategy is for the Tau. I'm completely new to this game so if you could explain it in newbie terms would be much appreciated. Also, are there any races that i should watch out for in case they can own the Tau?
    Tau are a very mobile shooting army.

What can own tau?

Ranged warfare? Imperial guard have a decent chance.

Close combat? A sneeze from a space marine is potentially fatal.

Have a browse through the forums here, especially the stickies.

Anything posted by rikimaru, number6, aussiedave and eiglepulper you should absorb.

Just try to filter out riki's and 6's constant suit configuration arguements

Glavas out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Glavas View Post
    Just try to filter out riki's and 6's constant suit configuration arguements
    Discussions, that's discussions not arguments 'discussions'.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Discussions, not arguments
    Oh yes it is.
    Oh no it's not.
    Oh yes it is
    ad infinitum!

Heh heh! You know we love you really

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; October 30th, 2009 at 22:19.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    Discussions, that's discussions not arguments 'discussions'.
    Very heated 'discussions'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe me when I say that Pathfinders are probably quite one of the Tau's most important units. They allow us to focus our firepower with greater accuracy (that's if the markerlights hit) so that you can destroy anything from a bunch of tryanid gaunts all the way up to Space Marine Land Raiders, and oh yes. Buy a BUNCH of Crisis suits.
    Humanity is the ultimate, self-destructive being on this planet. We create some many very creative and gruesome ways to die yet we can never understand why such thinbgs vex us so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

I'd first advise to be carefull in what you buy. Most new space marines players buys terminators and landraiders and don't manage to win except by luck.

In case of a Tau army, the battleforce gives you many useful units :

1x Fire warriors (FW) squad
    1x Kroot Squad
    1x Devilfist
    1x Crisis suit
    1x Stealth suit squad

This mean you now have an excellent shooty unit (FW squad) that can take care of most other troop with some support. This support can be provided by the stealth suits that can move realy fast, and so can do the devilfish by transporting the FW and by shooting at the same target as them. On the other hand, you get kroots that can either shoot or assault and which are good at both, so it's an excellent second troop choice, but be carefull, they are kind of fragile. The crisis suit is mainly made to deal with Elite / Heavy infantry and light tanks. A good beginner built is a Fireknife crisis suit (Plasma gun, missile pod, Multitracker), so it can deal with 2+ armour saves and light tanks. So this is what you can do with your box.

Then, your main concern will be tanks as with this box, you don't get many anti-tanks weapons. I would advise to go for a Hammerhead or for some broadside (Hammerhead is better in my opinion because it's more mobile [multitracker] and versatile [submunitions], but that's just me).

You will also quickly need some more troops. Another Battleforce is not a bad choice for it's price and the fact you'll have everything you need to become competitive. Pathfinders are a must if you go for a marker light army, as is the missile tank that I never remember the name because I don't realy use marker lights.

Try to understand what can be accomplished by stealth suits. Many players only see the tank killing options, but there is way more they can do than just that.
    Last edited by MindRaked; November 4th, 2009 at 19:02.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

+ Reply to Thread