How do I... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

How do I...

Hey all. Please note that I am very new to Eldar. I have been playing a foot slogging, get in your face, close combat Ork army for some time now... and that's the tactic I'm used to.

My question is:

How do I....
    Use a Farseer/Warlock Jetbike Council?
    I keep seeing all of these army lists out there where people have these councils. It seems like there are lots of options, but the same ones keep coming up (and rightly so). I realize that you need to have a Doom seer, etc. to pull off some of the things the unit is good at.
    -- So I guess my question is, I have this unit of Farseer/Warlocks on these Jetbikes...
    What is their primary purpose? Do they flank and support? Do they slam up the middle of the battlefield and rip apart the first unit it sees? Do you hunt vehicles/characters?

How do they tie in with other units in the army?

At the moment, I have the following types of units:

Fire dragons on foot
    Striking Scorpions on foot
    Wraithguard on foot
    Guardian jetbikes
    Guardians on foot x2
    Dire Avengers in a Serpent
    Swooping Hawks (which i dont really use)
    Warp Spiders on foot
    Shining Spears
    Vypers
    Dark Reapers on foot x2
    Wraithlord

I just recently aquired the Shining Spears and Guardian jetbikes so i don't know how they fall into play either - but I'm sure I'll figure that one out.. they're pretty self explanitory.

Any info/input/guidance would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by wrekka View Post
    How do I....
    Use a Farseer/Warlock Jetbike Council?
    I keep seeing all of these army lists out there where people have these councils. It seems like there are lots of options, but the same ones keep coming up (and rightly so). I realize that you need to have a Doom seer, etc. to pull off some of the things the unit is good at.
    this is not necessarily true. doom is not essential for a seer council as the wound on 2+ because of witchblades.

doom is important for squads that need to have overkill on the wounds like dire avengers, banshees, scatterlaser/shuricannon war walkers.

the key power for a seer council is fortune. this makes them cack hard at absorbing fire. not invunerable, but definately one of the most survivable units in the game.

-- So I guess my question is, I have this unit of Farseer/Warlocks on these Jetbikes...
    What is their primary purpose? Do they flank and support? Do they slam up the middle of the battlefield and rip apart the first unit it sees? Do you hunt vehicles/characters?
    depends on the size of the council. general consensus is go big or go home. they are an anvil unit - will stand up to almost all other units and tarpit them, usually winning the war of attrition. standing them out in the open is not a good idea, because they will still die to massed small arms fire. but they are more survivable than most eldar units that aren't tanks, so turboboost first round and you should be in range of anything you want to hit. be aware, that while they will generate a fair whack of wounds, they aren't power weapon attacks. they will beat a unit of thunder hammer terminators, but it will take them all game, for example. if there's a big juicy expensive vehicle in range, feel free to hit it.

[QUOTE=wrekka;1583423]How do they tie in with other units in the army?

At the moment, I have the following types of units:

Fire dragons on foot - not a combat unit, and they both will have similar targets
    Striking Scorpions on foot - good for support, add a large amount of attacks to the warlocks, but lack the punch of power weapons
    Wraithguard on foot - a bit too slow to have them in same army imo. but good to be fortuned
    Guardian jetbikes i like using GJB to pin a unit in place while shining spears jump into the combat and hit hard. seer bike council can perform the same job but better
    Guardians on foot x2 most people will tell you not to use these, but your council can be a good counter charge unit
    Dire Avengers in a Serpent follow the serpant, guide the avengers and doom their target
    Swooping Hawks (which i dont really use) not much experience with these guys
    Warp Spiders on foot don't really need support in combat from the council. but guiding them is good
    Shining Spears imo, one of the best teams to work with a council. the council will hold up a big unit and the spears get to charge, withdraw and charge again to bust it.
    Vypers not really sure about this one. they tend to have differing synergies
    Dark Reapers on foot x2 council will protect them from 18 inches away
    Wraithlord

I just recently aquired the Shining Spears and Guardian jetbikes so i don't know how they fall into play either - but I'm sure I'll figure that one out.. they're pretty self explanitory.
    spears require some finesse to use. they hit hard but don't generate a lot of wounds. they are best used aiding a unit in combat. guardian jetbikes are good at hit and fade tactics at 24 inches.
    Last edited by sequentius; November 3rd, 2009 at 22:11.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Bike Councils are armor wreckers and a good fear unit. People think they win games alone and they really don't but don't tell them that. Play up their abilities and use them aggressively. 4-6 models with Singing Spears will ruin transports and tanks with poor side/rear armor, which will get the unit lots of attention. Keep them Fortuned and give a variety of Warlock powers, Embolden and Enhance are must haves but Destructor can be really useful as well.\

Don't charge them unless it's a combat you can win pretty fast, you don't want them bogged down for more than a complete round. Charging tanks is fine, armor is your preferred target, which is why the unit is so good in 5th.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Wow! Thank you both for the advice. This has been an eye opening list of guidance. I get the general idea of how to run them - and my thoughts on their methods prior to this thread were WAY off.
    I'm glad I posted this or I would have been walking home head hung low after my first game with the unit.
    Since they work so well with the GJB, I am not going to modify the models to look like the Seer Council like I had originally planned. Looks like I need to order some more jetbikes.

Either way - "Thanks" and Reps for both of you!

EDIT: Apparently the "Thanks" button is not active at the moment. You WILL get your 'thanks'
    Last edited by wrekka; November 4th, 2009 at 21:51.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

+ Reply to Thread