Librarium Online Forums banner

Legal tactic?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Blood_Lord 
#1 ·
Tyrant guard (dakka) and one guard are a unit.

I take 8 spine gaunts and surround the guard.

So the guard and thus the unit he is half of, get a cover save against dirrect fire shots, yes?

#2 ·
Looks legal to me. The guard is not monstrous so any part of him that is behind a spinegaunt means he is in cover. If he is in cover then 50% of the squad is in cover. So you get the cover save.

Having 1 Guard or more does make it extremely easy to give a cover save to the hive tyrant.

#4 · (Edited)
Where does it say having a tyrant guard makes the hive tyrant not count as a MC.i have the book open right now and it says.

"The Tyrant guard form a retinue with the Hive Tyrant (the unit still deploys as a monstrous Creature)"
Page 36-Codex Tyranids

#3 ·
grey tyrant has it exactly right, there is nothing wrong with the tactic, however be aware that this will also make assaulting more difficult for you, if the guants get assaulted, its certain that theyll be in synapse, so you could end up not being able to shoot the assaulters when the guants lose the combat.

just something thats caught me out once or twice before now.

#5 ·
Did I ever say the Hive tyrant was not an MC. THe Hive Tyrant is always a Monstous creature. (which incidently means he can be target by JotWW even when he has wings)

The tyrant guard is still not an MC it may deploy asone but isnt one . Since the tyrant guard isnt an MC he doesnt follow the 50%+ rule to be in cover. This means a lowly gaunt can make the guard count as in cover. If the Guard is in cover then 50% of the unit is in cover. If 50% of the unit is in cover the whole unit gets a cover save.

#7 ·
Conclusion:

Legal yes, but extremely lame. I can here some of my opponents cry out CHEESE!!!! and LAME!!!! already... Not for the fun game I'm hoping for...

#8 · (Edited)
Broodlord, if your opponents cry cheese at that then they wail and scream at some of the cover tricks you can do.

For exaple guant/ork/gretchin ect wrap. For those who dont know its placing 2 units inside each other, and getting a 4+ cover for both. this is especially mean for gretchin, as you have a 3 point model with a 4+ save.

also layering is an good strategy, rippers (occasionally) give cover to guants, guants give cover to thropes, thropes can give cover to Mcs. Its a beautiful thing when pulled off.

Its also very easy to counter, using ordinance will negate the saves, destroying or moving the unit (eg defenders react) means its left open and you can leave yourself with no target to shoot, and you could simply ignore the very expensive unit and focus your anti tank on more dangerous parts of the army.

This isnt cheasy at all when you think about some of the combos and rules tricks that can be done in 40K.

#9 ·
Hmm fair enough, never said that I'd agree with him. Personally I find this slightly cheese, but I never lack cover saves where we play anyways... Though I don't say cheese to my opponents that fast, bigger challenge, more fun:)

#11 ·
They jump:D
Haven't you seen their muscular legs?:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.