Did I miss out on a good Tyranid Deal? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Did I miss out on a good Tyranid Deal?

Hey Everyone.

I've been toying with the idea of getting into Tyranid sometime soon, so I was cruising Ebay for some cheap Tyranid lots.

I found this auction right here (which is currently ended, not sure if it will show up)
    Warhammer 40k Tyrandid bitz, red terro, genestealers - eBay (item 270481062630 end time Nov-12-09 22:12:57 PST)

In case you can't read it, this is what the description read.
    "Probably a good example of what happens when someone buys a bunch of models and doesn't know what they should look like.) I think all of the Red Terror is here, parts of two lictors but not quite a full one, a couple of ravenors, 3 gargoyles, a big assortment of oddly assembled warriors, some rippers and spore mines, and a pile of badly painted old genestealers.
    Not pretty. Your chance to turn it into something better."

Not sure how much that was worth, but I'm guessing $22 + $5 shipping would've been a pretty good deal, even though some of the Tyranid are old and appear to be missing parts, so it woulda needed some lovin'.

Main reason I didn't get it is because I realized my auction prices were quickly adding up. I kinda regret it, but at the same time I'm trying not to spend too much money right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather buy models unpainted and preferably unassembled.

Im in Australia, and with the exchange rate with the UK pound i can get warhammer stuff for half the RRP here, and free postage.
    Ebay is barely worth it.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Hard to tell as I can't see pics but personally I find stripping a hassle, compounded with the possibility of odd assembly options. The stuff I've bought off auctions have been unpainted bar for one exception... Unless prepared for it and/or can get them really cheap, I'd avoid pre-painted and assembled lots. I don't think you should feel regret about missing that one, especially if there are missing parts and potentially messily assembled highly variable models (like Warriors). Then again, if you were prepared for the extra work and the price was right, there are some things in the lot which could be useful assuming they're 3rd or 4thEd models.

The Red Terror is a cool model, so if complete that alone would've increased the lot's worth in my eyes. Of course, no current legal rules for it (couldn't find them on GW UK where they used to be), but rumours say they might include new rules for in the new Codex... Maybe. I at least am hoping that particular rumour to be true! =D

Gargoyles would've been good if you got some beforehand (or are willing to invest in some) to make a brood, as their monetary price is annoying. Not a huge benefit though, if rumours of plastic Gargs come true. If they were 2ndEd, I think they'd look a bit funky alongside current models in their original configuration. ^_^;

Spore Mines are nice, even though they were a bit less than satisfactory in 4thEd. Possible change to the better in the next Codex, if again rumours are true.

Rippers I never liked, and wouldn't consider money-worthy as they're basically a bonus on the sprues of other creatures. If they were the older metal 2ndEd Rippers, I like the heads, they could be used for some nice conversions.

Warriors and Raveners are hugely dependant on their modeled biomorphs and -weapons, as poor choices can make them either less effective or overpriced points-wise. Difference between 3rd and 4thEd Ravener models can be important, as 3rdEd ones are possibly equipped with a separate ranged bio-weapon which is obsolete insofar as the 4thEd Codex rules for Raveners go. In the case of Warriors, a huge plus in my books would be if the extra biomorph/weapon bits and pieces were included. If the Warriors were 2ndEd metal/plastics, their appearance is also a bit funky compared to newer models and You'd likely need to do some arm swapping at the very least.

Old 'Stealers never die, they used the same design for ages before the change in 4thEd, and personally I still think the old designs are a tad better... The concept of the newer 'Stealers was good, but the model doesn't quite do it justice IMO. Of course, old ones won't be modeled with any biomorphs, and depending on the changes for the 5thEd Codex you might not need huge numbers of 'Stealers (rumour is they'd be Elite instead of Troops unless you take Broodlord as HQ).

Lictors are cool, and one of my favourites fluff-wise, but their rules have left something to be desired... Might be getting more useful in the next Codex, but time will tell.

There's my take on what I'd look for in that particular lot. The fact that the new Codex will probably be out rather soon makes things a bit dodgier as we can't fully know the upcoming changes.
    Last edited by Uzi-99; November 15th, 2009 at 18:29.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Cool, thanks for that detailed explanation. I guess I just didn't want to spend $30 at the time, but it still seems that it coulda been a good deal for a starter army... considering that most of the things I looked up on the GW site (at least the GeneStealers and Lichtors) were about $20 per box. Of course, this is older stuff that's already been messed up, so it's probably not worth as much by default.

In response to Joe Bloggs, I usually get my stuff at half price or at least 30-45% when I look for deals on Ebay. But if you can deals on that stuff all the time, well...how much does it cost you to ship stuff to the US??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i would agree with the other 2 for one its more fun to buy a brand new box of soldiers. ( you just get that thrill of the new army more than if you buy it off ebay)
    i am getting nids too but im only buying a couple things before it comes down to the new codex i suggest you do the same
    If there was ever a Fleet to be Afraid of...
    Hive fleet Dread Walker is it...

+ Reply to Thread