Possible New Dark Eldar Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible New Dark Eldar Player

Ey guys,
    I am currently playing CSM and I just don't feel they're the right army for me, as I now would like a fast, more agile army, and as this is the sort of style I would like to play. I am thinking about starting all over again and playing with Dark Eldar, as they were one of the races I was planning to use when I first started.
    I was just wondering, what are Dark Eldar's strengths and weaknesses, and should I wait until a new codex has come out, if it is coming out at all?
    Thanks,
    Verboz

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Verboz View Post
    Ey guys,
    I am currently playing CSM and I just don't feel they're the right army for me, as I now would like a fast, more agile army, and as this is the sort of style I would like to play. I am thinking about starting all over again and playing with Dark Eldar, as they were one of the races I was planning to use when I first started.
    I was just wondering, what are Dark Eldar's strengths and weaknesses, and should I wait until a new codex has come out, if it is coming out at all?
    Thanks,
    Verboz
    I'd say welcome to the dark side except you were already there!

That said, you've basically just described Dark Eldar's main strengths: We're the classic "Glass Cannon" type army. We hit very fast and can out maneuver just about any other army (even with our lack of scout/infiltrate units). However, our armor is made of paper and our vehicles are made of wet cardboard. Any weapon at least as strong as a bolter can glance (or worse) or vehicle armor. However, (unlike marines) we have a very high minimum skill requirement to play. The army is so unforgiving to mistakes that one bad movement can easily spell doom for the game. As for waiting for a new codex coming out it depends: Do you want to play in the next year or so or wait 5+ years for the new codex? (It probably won't actually be that long... probably...).
    /WHAO/TH-/HEL/DAO/KWRAO/TH*EUPBG/KWR-/PH-/STPH
    /TP-/KWRAO/K-/RAOED/THEUS/THEPB/WAOE/SH-D/KHAT/SPHAOEUPL

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

I was in your shoes. I started out with CSM, but got bored with their style of play. I then switched to sisters and found out that there were a ton of parallels between styles of play with CSM. I now have about 1500 pts of DE and find that they can bring the hurt down on people. They are a scalpel, precise and unforgiving. Their codex is very limited, but even with that there are a number of different army builds to keep anyone from feeling like their force is starting to stagnate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I will start playing with them ASAP, it should be good.
    Thanks for all of the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i found myself in your shoes too! XD being a nid and csm player i was looking for something new so i turned to DE tho i wont be starting till after the new nid book i have played one proxy game. i found them changing and rewarding! good luck to you

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

If i were you buddy, I'd wait for the new codex to come out. Its very likely that almost every model in the force will be redone, so unless you want to build an army twice and do a double amount of work - I'd say its not worth it. And this is coming from a dark eldar player who was really into the game up until 2 years ago...

I'll be honest, I was realy into dark eldar up to about 2 years ago but the longer I waited for the codex the more discouraged I got so I just converted my own warriors outa dire avengers so I wouldnt have to wait for the new minies.

My two cents, dont waste money on the older models, especialy skimmers, from what i hear they are gonna be the first thing to be redone.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Some models will probably stay the same. The Raider and Ravager will most likely not get a makover. The same goes for the warriors I would think. Just those models make up a great deal of a DE army and you could collect those knowing that those plastics will stay the same.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

DE havent been getting a single new model for at least 15 years, dont you think the warriors and the skimmers would be the very first thing that would be replaced? Its not gonna be an upgrade of a codex like it has been for the marines or the guard where most of the models remain, this is going to be a whole new project that is going to be constructed from the grounds up. I wont be surprised if it takes them until 2012 to release the codex, but have every single model in the army completely redone.

In fact warriors, wyches and skimmers were the three things that are on the top of the list of complains for GW. Warriors look dead awful, raiders break easily and wyches just plainly are bad in both form and composition. Some artwork released by GW already shows the raiders and warriors are being completely redone, and I realy hope wyches will be too....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame on you all, picking CSM before picking DE, it's almost an insult to our dark kin.
    I always hated chaos, CSM have way too many similarities with normal marines and they don't look that cool at all.

I knew I was going to play DE even since they came out and I discovered this awesome army.

Simple way to make you understand what they're all about:

-A raider squad, 10 warriors, 1 spinter cannon, 1 blaster.

Very fast, mobile unit with a considerable amount of firepower, though with very weak protection. Once the raider is shot down thing start going bad very quickly.

Don't underestimate the raider, he may have almost no armor, but it's harder to shoot down than you think, espeically when it's moving.

-Wyches in a raider are another commonly seen unit in any DE force.
    They're exceptional cc fighters, they can take on almost anyone.
    Their raider provides them with cover and get's them in cc if everything goes well.
    Raider also supports them with some nice firepower.
    Things will get very ugly if your raider gets shot down, wyches are even more fragile than warriors against any firepower.

Most DE armies are capable of annihilating all enemy forces very fast. Any good DE battle where everything goes well for DE will end up in a massacre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    DE havent been getting a single new model for at least 15 years...
    Hey come on now, the DE codex was released in 1998, without a full range of miniatures, so it's closer to 10 years since the last DE model was released. 15 years ago would still be back in the age of plastic kits where every model was identical, the WH40K box still included cardboard scenery, flat carboard cut-outs of an Ork Dreadnoughts and card data sheets which included Squats!

10 years is still far too long since a new mini release mind, even Necrons had a new Lord miniature since the year 2000. I've been hearing mutterings that Dark Eldar should be coming out again soonish though (soonish for GW means within the next 3 years or so). I would be pleased and only a little surprised if they came out in 2010 however, in any case patience is a virtue. I'd recommend waiting, especially as you can save money for something that's hopefully really shiney looking rather than being saddled with old fugly minis.

+ Reply to Thread