What are the Tau based on? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

What are the Tau based on?

This question has bothered me for a long time, about 6 years ago when i first saw warhammer 40k. However, i got marines first because I chose to go with the starter pack and i fell for the black tempalrs instead, but the tau have always been angging me ^^.

Anyway, i read somewhere, wikipedia not being the most reliable source of info. but apparently the tau fire warriors were modelled around chinese foot soldiers. To be honest, i don't see that in the fire warriors at all and i am chinese as well!

I have also played the Dawn of War games and i don't really see the connection of chinese and tau.

Am i just plain bliind here or not? And if anyone has any ideas or facts about wether i am right or wrong, i would like to know.

If they aren't modelled around the chinese, then who are they modelled around?

thanks
    antique_nova

Last edited by antique_nova; November 22nd, 2009 at 21:00.
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

not chinese ...

japanese !

Tau are based on japanese science-fiction.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i don't see that any where.
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

who wrote that? whoever did is wrong!

like said above its based of of japanese sci-fi
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

In a lot of artworks the Tau have some kind of katana or wakizashi, feudal japanese weapons. Also their suits really seem based on japanese mecha science-fiction. (Never seen gundam wing ?) Their general look, like for example the firewarrior also suits the general japanese science-fiction. In a lot of animes/mangas the forces are wearing similar stuff (helmets for example)

It's perfectly clear that the Tau are based on japanese science-fiction.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Orni View Post
    It's perfectly clear that the Tau are based on japanese science-fiction.
    Pffftt rubbish.
    Anyone with any knowledge of GW knows that the background to the Tau is based upon an obscure tribe of chicken fettlers called the T'oww ya chuff, who originate from a small village in the foothills of south Yorkshire between Rotherham and Barnsley. Chicken fettling is a notoriously dangerous occupation and the "Chuffs" as they liked to be known developed advanced tech based on Yorkshire mining equipment to protect their operation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the pulse rifle was a simple developement from then due to chickens themselves having 4+ armour saves but the dirt adhering to them only a 5+. Thus they danger can be eliminated by getting a large group of dirty chickens together and the chuffs rapid firing into them.
    less hate more kittens

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    Pffftt rubbish.
    Anyone with any knowledge of GW knows that the background to the Tau is based upon an obscure tribe of chicken fettlers called the T'oww ya chuff, who originate from a small village in the foothills of south Yorkshire between Rotherham and Barnsley. Chicken fettling is a notoriously dangerous occupation and the "Chuffs" as they liked to be known developed advanced tech based on Yorkshire mining equipment to protect their operation.
    While I'm somewhat inclined to agree with the Japanese Sci-Fi angle, I have to say I like this idea much better!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Due to my in-depth understanding of all things Tau Empire, I have come to the conclusion that the Tau and their allies are based on Animal Farm, the reasons being; Tau are the cows, Kroot are the chickens, Vespid are the cockroaches and the Imperium are the evil bankers about to reprossess the said farm. .

There is no definite way to base the Tau on any one culture, though if your that picky, the closest that I can put you towards is the Japanese as pointed out by the above posters. Also, if you've played the DoW1 pc game, it just screams "Japanese" to me with both their theme music, and the way that they talk/respond to threats.
    The Kroot on the other hand are of a completely different culture; The Native Americans - or in my wording, the Indians - it's the way that they seem to use the land around them to survive, such as the trees to live/take refuge in, as well as to eat everything that moves, where nothing get wasted from their kill and everything has a use, right down to the bone.
    And the Vespid, as stated earlier, are most definitely the cockroaches, willing to survive even in the most hostile of environments, even our cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast, apparantly!

Though it doesn't stop them from getting blasted to bits by the most basic of weaponry

Hope this helps

-Kai-Itza-
    Last edited by Kai-Itza; November 23rd, 2009 at 12:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Itza View Post
    even our cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast, apparantly!
    You often hear that, so i went and did a little researching:

It is popularly suggested that cockroaches will "inherit the earth" if humanity destroys itself in a nuclear war. Cockroaches do indeed have a much higher radiation resistance than vertebrates, with the lethal dose perhaps 6 to 15 times that for humans. However, they are not exceptionally radiation-resistant compared to other insects, such as the fruit fly.

The cockroach's ability to withstand radiation better than human beings can be explained through the cell cycle. Cells are most vulnerable to the effects of radiation when they are dividing. A cockroach's cells divide only once each time it molts, which is weekly at most in a juvenile roach. Since not all cockroaches would be molting at the same time, many would be unaffected by an acute burst of radiation, but lingering radioactive fallout would still be harmful.
    I find this quite interesting, so i thought i'd share.

I would have to agree to most poster above, it has strong influence from japanese mech-culture, but it's also, i feel, an attempt by GW to create a race that's very much advanced in technology as we would recognize it: based on humanoid types of technology, unlike the more organic Eldar and ancient necon techs.
    Last edited by Zema; November 23rd, 2009 at 13:11.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast