Question about Wych Cults - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Question about Wych Cults

I'm really new to Dark Eldar, and I'm just working on army concepts right now. I really like the idea of a wych cult, and I'm a big fan of warp beasts. I've checked the FAQ and searched the forum, but I haven't found what I'm looking for, so I figured I'd ask the experts.

In a wych cult, the codex says you can take as many warp beast packs as you have wych squads. Do warp beast packs still use force organization slots when taken in this manner? If I field four wych squads and four warp beast packs, will I still be able to take madrakes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Unless i'm mistaken warp beasts do not take up FoC slots normally, they are simply tied to the number of wych squads ( well that and the 0-1 limit, but a wych cult ignores that anyway).

So there is nothing stopping you taking 6 wyches and warp beast units along with 3 mandrake units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Rock and roll! Thank you for the response. I read elsewhere in the forum about how fast the wyches can get into hand to hand if you put them in a raider, so warp beasts aren`t as attractive as they once seemed, but I still really like the models would like to use a truckload of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

If you want warp beasts to seem attractive then think of them this way, for 51 points you get
    3 warp beasts
    1 beast master
    so that is an agoniser and some ablative wounds for a very cheap price.

This cheap price is matched by their lack of armour and lack of grenades (probably the biggest thing)
    but it is still a pretty good buy when you conside that you could have 4 squads for shy on 200 points.

Not a bad deal in all!

one thing to remember when using them, especially in this sized squad is you need support. So either another squad or two that both charge or help for a wych squad or warrior squad. They can really tear up targets, especially ones in the open!
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I really like the idea of wyches in raiders racing the warp beasts on foot to see who gets to the enemy fastest. I figure that if raider mounted wyches and warp beasts were both hitting the same squad, my opponent would probably try to target the wyches, which would allow the warp beasts to approach without too much heat.

If both squads made contact in the same turn, it would be pretty gross. If one of the squads arrived a turn later than the other, it would help compensate for the lack of charge dice in the second round.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    So there is nothing stopping you taking 6 wyches and warp beast units along with 3 mandrake units.
    Hmmm, perhaps its time to ask this question again, “If squads equate to units in 40K and you may have a Warp Beast pack per squad/unit when taking a Cult, does this then mean that you may take 7 beast packs due to the fact that the HQ is considered a squad/unit?”

Food for thought.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    Hmmm, perhaps its time to ask this question again, “If squads equate to units in 40K and you may have a Warp Beast pack per squad/unit when taking a Cult, does this then mean that you may take 7 beast packs due to the fact that the HQ is considered a squad/unit?”

Food for thought.
    Technically yes, as the unit is still chosen as a wych unit - it just so happens that the character must join it and cannot leave. All of the really old codices make no real distinction between a retinue and elites choice other than the stipulation in the IC's entry that they cannot leave it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Technically yes, as the unit is still chosen as a wych unit - it just so happens that the character must join it and cannot leave. All of the really old codices make no real distinction between a retinue and elites choice other than the stipulation in the IC's entry that they cannot leave it.
    I agree, well explained.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread