How do I beat Necrons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I beat Necrons?

Necrons seem to me just too good. I've played them before and got destroyed, but now one of my friends is switching to Necrons, so I might need some help. In the codex it says to field as many deff dreads and killa kans you can, pretty much, so I have a Deffdread. Should I buy some more walkers, or is there some other tactic that works?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Close combat is the way to go with necrons.

Their low initiative means that your boyz will be striking first on the charge, and simultaneously thereafter.

Your big mobs will remain fearless, whilst if the necron loses a morale test, they'll run and you can sweeping advance them. There's no WBB from sweeping advance.

Burna Boyz will help deny WBB rolls in close combat, as will power claws.

Ignore the monoliths (or ram them with a deffrolla equipped waggon) and concentrate on phasing the necron troops out.
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of what pinky has said is true:

They do have a low initiative so a boy charge would be the end for a necron unit perhaps by the second round of combat ( hoping you haven't lost too many on the way). In your post you asked about deff dreds. It is quite a good tactic with their strength but only use them against necron with only 1/no monoliths. I'd suggest another deff dread and 1 or 2
    3-strong killa kan mobs.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Meganobs.

Seriously, necrons really struggle to deal with 2+ saves (and the multiples wounds is just nasty), if there is a c'tan or some pariahs invovled you'll have to be extremely carefull to avoid them, but the second you hit anything that isn't either of thsoe it will die a horrible death. The only problem is getting them across the table.

A mega armour boss is also highly reccomended due to his extremely durability in this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So,pinky, whatever negates armor saves negates the We'll Be Back? Thats reassuring. I think that the meganobz are a good idea, but what do you think about 'ard Boyz aginst necrons?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

'Ard Boyz are not one of those units I recommend because they're useful. Because they are not. If you particularly like them then I encourage you to field some, that's what da Orks is all about! But otherwise, you're generally better off with more boyz.

Burna Boyz would be great, as mentioned. Flamers are hella deadly against any kind of infantry unit, 5-10 flamers.. well.. 5-10x hella deadly! In CC they're the only unit capable of bringing I 3 power weapon attacks. For Orks, at least.

I'd stay away from fielding any Deff Dreads. Killa Kanz are cheaper and will outperform them in every regard. Just load them with your basic Big Shoota and pop off a few shots (aim for any visible Heavy Destroyers, Destroyers, or Immortals) while you slog down field. Once in CC, they'll shred through the Crons.

One thing to be aware of, is every Cron weapon inflicts an automatic glancing hit on a penetration roll of a '6', regardless of the weapons strength. So their basic Warriors are capable of rapid firing any of your armor to death.

'Cron's themselves aren't too hard. Ignore any Monolith's or C'Tan (if able) and just focus on wiping out as many units as possible. Once you wipe out 75% of their models with the Necron special rule, their entire army phases out.. so Monoliths and C'Tan -- while extremely deadly -- are expensive and mean fewer Necrons.

They cannot make WBB rolls if there isn't another unit with the same name within 6". So try to isolate them when possible. Otherwise, CC is your best friend. If two units are near to one another, send your best assault mob after the smaller of the two and try to catch them in a sweeping advance. This will isolate the other unit. Of course, you want to tie the other unit up in combat, lest you enjoy eating rapid fire in the next turn.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Also, the standard tactic of assaulting more than one unit at a time can often pay dividends. Eithr you'll sweep both of them, or kill one, and remain tied in wth the other, protecting your mob (or kans) from return enemy fire.

IIRC, ways to negate WBB (provided a res orb isn't present) are any weapon which allows no save in close combat (e.g. power weapon/fists), or any weapon whose strength is twice the toughness of the necron (so krak missiles or better against regualr warriors)
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My idea of an anti-necron list for orks is boys in transports and bikers. Continue by fitting in a powerklaw wherever possible and just charge the crap out of them as fast as possible. Remember that powerweapons won't help as long as there are an orblord in the close vicinty to what you assault.

And at last i want to point out something a little bit twisted. Seemingly necrons only lose wbb for being instakilled by shooting weapons and by getting cut down in assault by weapons ignoring armoursaves. That means that a charging warboss with big choppa (S8 ) won't deny the necrons their wbb...
    Last edited by visseking; December 6th, 2009 at 20:48.

+ Reply to Thread