Librarium Online Forums banner

Tau army help for newb!!!

840 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DOOMFIRE 
#1 ·
hi for christmas i am getting a tau battleforce and a box of fire warriors aswell as a codex and am looking for help as dunno wat else to buy as want to build a mech tau army. thinking of getting another devilfish for the extra FW???? plz may i have a army list or help on making me decide wat to buy next :act-up::act-up:

#2 ·
There's more advice here in this forum than you can shake a stick at. :rotfl:

Personally, I would start with the 5th edition Tau Tactica stickied at the top of this forum. It's the only bit of advice we have that is, well, short, brief, and to the point. Everything else we have on offer takes some wading into. ;)

I'm rather biased toward my own playstyle, and I've described that in my own 5th edition tactica (which you can also find in my sig below).

Some example army lists and interesting discussion of them can be found in The number6 rikimaru challenge.

This should keep you busy for awhile. :rotfl:

And finally: Welcome to the Greater Good!

#3 ·
Firstly, welcome to the Tau Empire.

If you want an army list then I suggest you have a look in the army list subforum, it is filled with army lists and critiques of each. Pick a points total, 500 or 1000pts for a starter and see what other people use.

The Tau Battleforce is a good place to start a Tau army as it gives you your compulsory options in one purchase. If you want to go mech Tau then you will most likely want to get Hammerheads and more Crisis suits.
Pathfinders are also another good investment, if you don't want to buy the metal models then you can easily make them from Fire Warriors, you just need to add something to the Pulse Carbine to represent the markerlights.

I would also recommend spending some time having a good read through of the stickies at the top of the forum, they are very well written and will help you decide what to buy.

Good hunting.

#4 ·
thanks ive read them and thinking of now buying

2 battleforces
another XV8 Commander
1 box of fire warriors
1 devilfish
1 hammerhead
2 boxes of gun drones

that will bring me to about 1500pt and it looks a competitve army to start with!!

What do you think of broadsides are they worth it as i dont like metal models

#5 ·
You won't need nearly so many FWs, but you will want way more crisis suits. I field 7 in 1500 pts lists, between 8-10 in 1750 pts lists, and 10 suits in anything over 1750. I really really think you need that many.

Broadsides are, IMHO, critical. They're the scariest and most reliable anti-armour in the Tau army. Tau simply MUST destroy MCs and enemy mobility at range, right away. Broadsides are how you do it. After you're done with that, the XV88s also come with smart missiles so they remain useful even after there isn't a single MC or enemy vehicle left. Your heavy support should either be 1x Broadside and 2x hammerhead or the other way around.

I don't see any purpose to gun drones in 5th edition 40K. They were great units in 4th edition, but serve no purpose in 5th edition. Your fast attack should be pathfinders and piranhas and nothing else.

Reactions: DOOMFIRE
#6 ·
thanks number6 am now buying
2battleforces
4 XV8 battlesuits
and also
2 broadside and 1 hammerhead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.