First Army: Tryanids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Army: Tryanids

Hello all,

I'm thinking of starting my first army as Tyranids. I know that a new codex is scheduled for launch soon, but I want to start collecting models now, because of the slight deal being offered.

What models are 'safe' for purchase?

ie, what models could be purchased that will be effective with the new codex regardless of the new codex?

Should I just buy the battle force?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I feel the battleforce would very likely be a fine choice to start with. Though it lacks the 'fex of the old one, the number of gaunts, stealers and warriors is still a rather good deal, and you will likely end up using all of the models provided with the new codex.

Grabbing a Hive Tyrant for your HQ is likely to be a sound choice as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

I'd waite out on the Tyrant just yet. As it seems new HQ's are coming out which combine carni/trygon kits...

Maybe get a Brood Lord, and extra unit of warriors. That should do nice.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Battalion - the current one - is safe to get, you get a free fex in it so it's worth it just for that at the moment.

Raveners, Gargoyles, Biovores, Trygon/Mawloc are getting new models so hold off on them.

Lictors may be getting changed on how they are deployed and what groups they are in. Models are the same though

Zoanthropes will be elites instead of HS, but the models are the same.

If you want a lot of Gaunts of both shooty and CC the box with both in works out slightly cheaper as you get eight of each in each box.

Brood Lords are no longer HQ but a one-per-unit upgrade for genestealers. So Genestealers and Brood Lords are safe to get together.

Fex are deployable in groups now, so a couple of Fex box sets may be fun to pick up. I'd advise magnetising arms you plan to use though because rule changes and limitations on who can have what in a group is still undisclosed.

Hive Tyrant and Tyrant guard are changing points wise but not model wise, there are new HQ choices emerging though, so you may want to hold off.

Hope that helps, if I can think of anything more I'll update
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Although I think most things won't be 'wasted' buys, I would not suggest you glue anything till you read the new book yourself. Who knows what the new most powerful bioweapon combination (cough*Dakkafex*cough) will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to start Nids, but i am waiting untill the codex is out to buy stuff....partly because i doin't know what bits need to be on the models......biomorphs or what ever there called so i'm going to wait, even though i know exactually what i am buying
    Codex,
    Battle force
    2x Genestelers (i know, there are some in the BF, but i like them )
    2x Broodlord
    2x Trygon kit
    2x Gargoyles

and i already have 4 Raveners, and Red Terror

hopefully there will be a alpah warrior or Broodlord that i can use, i'm going to leave the hive tyrant for a while, and the trygon/fex one that is rumoured....well i'll just have to see what it is like....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,

I'm thinking of starting my first army as Tyranids. I know that a new codex is scheduled for launch soon, but I want to start collecting models now, because of the slight deal being offered.

What models are 'safe' for purchase?

ie, what models could be purchased that will be effective with the new codex regardless of the new codex?

Should I just buy the battle force?

Thanks.
    Basically this is not a complicated answer the main things you should buy ( if your buying early ) is

Genestealers ( dont think much is going to be done to them )

or

if you can get a hold of one the old battle force was tremendous savings

really other than that hold out
    If there was ever a Fleet to be Afraid of...
    Hive fleet Dread Walker is it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8people View Post
    Battalion - the current one - is safe to get, you get a free fex in it so it's worth it just for that at the moment.

Raveners, Gargoyles, Biovores, Trygon/Mawloc are getting new models so hold off on them.

Lictors may be getting changed on how they are deployed and what groups they are in. Models are the same though

Zoanthropes will be elites instead of HS, but the models are the same.

If you want a lot of Gaunts of both shooty and CC the box with both in works out slightly cheaper as you get eight of each in each box.

Brood Lords are no longer HQ but a one-per-unit upgrade for genestealers. So Genestealers and Brood Lords are safe to get together.

Fex are deployable in groups now, so a couple of Fex box sets may be fun to pick up. I'd advise magnetising arms you plan to use though because rule changes and limitations on who can have what in a group is still undisclosed.

Hive Tyrant and Tyrant guard are changing points wise but not model wise, there are new HQ choices emerging though, so you may want to hold off.

Hope that helps, if I can think of anything more I'll update
    Even without the Fex its still great. The fex has taken a hit by the nerf hammer so its not all that but still usefull
    "Basically don't imagine rules that aren't there, you'll only hinder yourself." ~realitycheque
    Still new to 40k sp please have patience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Lysenis View Post
    Even without the Fex its still great. The fex has taken a hit by the nerf hammer so its not all that but still usefull
    I really don't see what's so great about the box now. I've got tons of gaunts already, I'm even keeping some as thermagaunt because I can't convert all of them atm. And this coming from somebody who hates gaunts...

I like the warriors in there though...
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Lord View Post
    I really don't see what's so great about the box now. I've got tons of gaunts already, I'm even keeping some as thermagaunt because I can't convert all of them atm. And this coming from somebody who hates gaunts...

I like the warriors in there though...
    I meant that it is the perfect starter set.
    "Basically don't imagine rules that aren't there, you'll only hinder yourself." ~realitycheque
    Still new to 40k sp please have patience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast