The best outfit for an eldar vyper - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best outfit for an eldar vyper

im getting a vyper but i dont know what i really to put on it? i want a vyper that can take on horde but still take on the space marines. please post any upgrades/weapons that you think i should put on and why.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I generally run vypers with an EML gives them some range and the blast can get multipel infantry. I will also go for the cheap cannon only vyper squad as a screen for my tanks from time to time. Most of the other guns are hard to justify on such a fragile BS 3 model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally run my Vypers with legs and call them war walkers, .. wait, maybe that's because they just are.

Anywho, you may have figured by now that I *don't* run Vypers, they're expensive, and there's really no weapon I like on them that doesn't perform as well or better on another platform, if they had some sort of Melta option that would be great, and I would definitely consider them.

My personal recommendation would be to either go with something cheap like shuricats, or a Missile launcher. The shuricat has short range, but that's less of an issue on a very fast skimmer vehicle, and the Missile launcher can fire in frag mode to mitigate the effects of BS3. Putting a brightlance on one is prohibitively expensive, and doesn't make use of the Vyper's ability to get outmaneuver a vehicle and get a shot at a rear or side aspect.

I wouldn't get any other upgrades for it at all. With a missile launcher, it's a 65pt vehicle, not too bad. Too many people make the mistake of putting holofields on them and that really doesn't do much for them (your primary weapon will be killed on a 2.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I tend to run my Vypers in one of two configurations.

The first way is I put an EML on them with no other upgrades. This lets me keep them far back and capable of taking down light armor or putting out some blast templates on infantry. I do however, run three and sometimes two in this configuration. The reason being that at BS I'll need more than one shot to guarantee a hit. And three templates are more likely to cause damage.

Often times if you have a Fire Prism or other tasty targetat , people forget about the Vypers way back there next to it. They do, however, pack a punch.

The second way I use them is with Scatter Lasers and Shuriken Cannon upgrade. In this config I usually take only two, but have thought about three together. This configuration I use for shooting across the board to get some good shots at rear or side armor. Also, they can put do okay against Hvy Infantry and MCs just because this gives them almost as many shots as a squad of Walkers for almost the same price.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Vypers are okay with EMLs, or a shruiken cannon (leave the TL catapults). Anything else is a waste, and better put on War Walkers. They cost less, can outflank, are not open topped, can carry more weapons, can FIRE more weapons,have the scout rule,and can assault.

I wish I jumped on the WW bandwagon before I acquired my three vypers.
    Last edited by cKerensky; December 18th, 2009 at 18:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

In defense of them, a Vyper with Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon is 70 points. yes, they may be open topped, but they can also move flat out and get the 4+ cover save. As well, they can also move 6" and still fire all of their weapons.

Another big thing is that though War Walkers can outflank, you don't always get in on the side you want. Vypers can come in from reserve and streak to exactly where you want them. To me they are equal to war walkers. Vypers just favor mobility slightly over firepower. War Walkers are more the opposite favoring firepower over mobility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darquewing View Post
    In defense of them, a Vyper with Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon is 70 points. yes, they may be open topped, but they can also move flat out and get the 4+ cover save. As well, they can also move 6" and still fire all of their weapons.

Another big thing is that though War Walkers can outflank, you don't always get in on the side you want. Vypers can come in from reserve and streak to exactly where you want them. To me they are equal to war walkers. Vypers just favor mobility slightly over firepower. War Walkers are more the opposite favoring firepower over mobility.
    Exactly, though, if you get them in the right position, their speed is less of a factor, as heavy weapons have decent range.

I spam WW with shuricats, gotta love those 40pt machinegun nests. I generally put my more expensive weapons on less fragile platforms, but I would love to see the Vyper get a Melta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanor View Post
    Exactly, though, if you get them in the right position, their speed is less of a factor, as heavy weapons have decent range.

I spam WW with shuricats, gotta love those 40pt machinegun nests. I generally put my more expensive weapons on less fragile platforms, but I would love to see the Vyper get a Melta.
    Or AV11 on the front and no open-topped. That would make me giggle. I own ten of the buggers after all.

Not biased though, I own ten War Walkers as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darquewing View Post
    Or AV11 on the front and no open-topped. That would make me giggle. I own ten of the buggers after all.

Not biased though, I own ten War Walkers as well.
    Really the Vyper is similar to the Land Speeder that the Space Marines have, I normally wouldn't object to an armor upgrade but here it seems rather out of place. I would like to see open topped removed, but then it would become more or less a BS3 land speeder.

I think giving it BS4 and some other special ability would be better. We're supposed to be the fragile army, but every unit should have some trick to it, especially something like a Vyper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

And here I thought I was doing good with 6 vypers. I guess it is my turn to stand up for them. They have two advantages over warwalkers. First they can keep up with a fully mech army, walkers with the scout can get into a good starting point but are unable to completely redeploy like a vyper can which makes the army as a whole a bit less fluid (a bad thing IMO ). And second is the fact that they don't take up one of our overly crowded heavy support slots. Walkers are nice but I like my prisms to much to take walkers in most of my lists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast