Question on Combat Drugs and Raider Gunboats - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Question on Combat Drugs and Raider Gunboats

Hello all,
    I have two questions.

Firstly, the codex blurb on CD's say that "they can be taken at the start of ANY assault phase"....Does this include the opponents? i.e i used 12 inch charge and re-rolls, then at the start of his assault phase roll for +1 attack and re-rolls?

Secondly, I may of just missed this in the rule book, but does the squad mounted on my raider have to fire at the same target as my raider? i.e if i had a Disintigrator Raider, with 5 warrior 1 darklance squad on top, could they fire at seperate targets?

How effective is a 3 lance raider? (Start a Raider next to a 10 man warrior squad w/DL) or would i just be better off with another ravager?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Zidi View Post
    Firstly, the codex blurb on CD's say that "they can be taken at the start of ANY assault phase"....Does this include the opponents? i.e i used 12 inch charge and re-rolls, then at the start of his assault phase roll for +1 attack and re-rolls?
    That is correct, which is a blessing and a curse. On the one hand you can customize your drug choices as needed, but on the other hand you have twice as many chances to stroke out and die of an overdose.

Secondly, I may of just missed this in the rule book, but does the squad mounted on my raider have to fire at the same target as my raider? i.e if i had a Disintigrator Raider, with 5 warrior 1 darklance squad on top, could they fire at seperate targets?
    It's clarified in the BRB FAQ, they are separate units and can fire at separate targets.

How effective is a 3 lance raider? (Start a Raider next to a 10 man warrior squad w/DL) or would i just be better off with another ravager?
    What advantage do you see in putting a heavy weapon squad into a raider? All you'll really do is waste a turn shooting for lesser protection than if you just parked them in area terrain for a 4+ cover save. And if you want them to actually fire you have to keep the raider still, negating it's only real defense. Some people take 10 man foot squads with 2 splinter cannons and have them jump into a raider, move six inches and shoot, but with a heavy weapon squad you're either wasting the squad or you're wasting the raider. If you find yourself sorely needing more dark lances a basic ravager is by far more cost efficient, and can actually move and shoot.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; December 28th, 2009 at 17:28.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Archon Charybdis has covered it correctly.

As for your last question, the 2 lance warrior squad boarding an empty raider can be done but the raider would have no movement what so ever if you wanted to shoot everyone (starting on the following turn after embarkation).

However, if you added 2 blasters to that sniper squad then you can fire the blasters if you have moved less than 6" and within 12" of the target or you could possible fire all 5 dark matter shots if you didn't move at all and had a target within 12".

My thoughts are the lances are a waste - I think it very "situational" that this configuration can find any merit - you would be better off giving the squad 2 splinter cannons so you can at least move 5.9" and fire all the guns or the raider can move 12" and disembark the squad so everyone can shoot.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post
    ... or you could possible fire all 5 dark matter shots if you didn't move at all and had a target within 12".
    There is of course the problem that such a sitaution will never arise in normal gameplay. If something moves within 12" of a raider, and it's not to aid in a close-combat that it's crew started, that means the raider is going down. We're talking meltas or powerfists incoming on an AV 10 target.

The sniper squad I say bears much more merit than the raider gunboat. Even if they aren't in cover, your opponent will have to waste a good round of shooting or two to take down a pesky squad that cost you a mere 100 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Ah, i had assumed that because the 2 dark lances themselves arent moving that i could move 6 inch and fire them as well, but i see that it isnt the case because models in the raider are counted as moving as well....

That idea was more out of the fact that my ravager may not be ready by the time i start a tournament, more so then it being a preference =p

So if i had to run a gunboat, i'd be better off getting two SC with a raider with a dissi as it would do more damage to units (which its role would be), and perhaps NS would help here =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Zidi View Post
    So if i had to run a gunboat, i'd be better off getting two SC with a raider with a dissi as it would do more damage to units (which its role would be), and perhaps NS would help here =/
    Actually that'd be a pretty nice anti-infantry gunboat there. And since the SCs are assault you can hop on, move 6'' and still shoot that turn with them. Just remember that passengers always count as moving if the vehicle moved, and they can't shoot at all if the vehicle goes above combat speed.

+ Reply to Thread