Ork Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ork Boyz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ork Boyz

Well, after buying 200 AoBR Boyz, i regret getting quite so many.
    While the 6x30 Boyz is effective, it is also somewhat impractical if you want to finish a game in less than 6 hours.
    As a result, i am going to scratch build some Ork Trukks to use for my troop choices.
    I would personally rather run a swarm army, but it just takes way too long to move them all.

I have 2 questions...

First question....
    What do you think the most effective build is for the troop choice?
    Im thinking 11x Boyz and 1x Nob, PK, BP, Trukk, Ram. 152 points.
    Are there any other upgrades to the squad or the trukk that would be worth it? Or leave it how it is?

Second question....
    How many of these squads would you run in 1500 points?
    I was thinking about running 6 of them, and dropping one of the Boyz in one squad for a Big Mek with KFF.
    A second Big Mek with KFF could cover the other side of the board, allowing me to drive the trukks in 2 groups of 3 on opposite sides of the boards, however im not sure if i can justify the extra ~110 points.

After the purchase of the troops and the Big Mek(s), the rest of the points would likely be spent on Lootas, even though they never seem to do anything for me.
    I have tried running Lootas, Tankbustas, Warbuggies, Bikers, Nobz, etc, but the only things whos effectiveness exceeds their points cost and can be justified running is Boyz and KFF Big Meks.
    I usually find that this ~1000 points is more than capable of beating a typical 1500 point army without the other 500 points worth of Lootas doing anything at all.

Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

A KFF is a great idea. I always use them in lists with plenty of vehicles.

6 is a lot of trukks at 1500 points. 4-5 is plenty. The build you have is perfect for trukkboyz. The only thing I can suggest further is stikkbomb chukkas, if not on all of them, at least on 1-2, for dealing with entrenched enemies.

If I were making the list, I'd also include a sturdier unit or two of 20 shoota boyz w/2 big shootas, nob, powerklaw, and bosspole. I often also give them a battlewagon w/big shoota, kannon, and grot riggers to transport them around and distract your opponent away from the trukks.

Finally, I also always include at least one unit of 12-16 grots w/runtherder, for grabbing objectives and screening the rest of my army.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bad thing about Trukk boys is their low leadership. They will get down pretty fast on #s. I think if you have all those boyz why not do a mix. Have one or two large units of Boyz and a few trukk units. Start the combat with the Trukk Boyz and just run those monster mobs in and finish it off with them.

As for upgrades on Trukks...it depends on the army you are playing against. If you get a RPJ and motor you can cross half a board in one turn. If you go second you may even be able to assault in the first turn. Why spend too much on the trukks when once you get out of them..they are practically useless? That is my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just use the Ram, x10 boyz, 1 nob power klaw, Bosspole. 6 is too mujch I think, so maybe you should get 1-2 battlewagons! maybe mega-nobz or 20 boyz, but BW's make great armored transports for the Big Mek with KFF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The problems with Trukk mobs are quite crippling:
    -Low numbers. They won't be able to kill as much, especially since they go after everyone thanks to I2/3. Once you lose a couple models Ld comes into play and it's way too easy to have them run off.
    -Fragility. Trukks are the blow-uppiest transports around, KFF or no. Ork Boyz are very vulnerable to anything coming their way, even flashlights.
    -Killing Power. They don't have it, not in sufficient amounts. They can kill off Crisis teams, HWS, and junk like that, but so can Koptaz or Bikes and they are much more resilient.

Don't fill up on Trukk mobs, use them if anything to support your big mobs or Nobs in Battlewagons.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

The good thing about trukkboyz is how amazingly fast, destructive, and cheap for their points they are. For around 150 points you get a fast vehicle (which is admittedly extremely fragile, so keep it within range of a KFF to make it tougher than a rhino), the ability to drive through terrain with virtually no risk, a powerklaw, a re-roll on leadership rolls (effectively raising the unit's leadership by 2), and 44 s4 attacks on the charge.

That's a great value, but you need to have at least 3-4 in each list, preferably with a KFF and something to stand in front of them (battlewagon and/or warbuggies).

Also, I'd always fill the trukk with a full 12 boyz. 11 is gyping yourself.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does take longer to footslog orks, but gotta remember orks are squishy and so are their vehicles. One good ML, LC, MM shot and your trukk is done. Now say your trukk explodes! Thats a few dead orks right there (if not half your mob), factor in bad rolling and you could very well loose almost a whole squad of 12 boyz to one shot. Im no mathhead guy, but I do know how the dice rolls and sometimes its good and bad. So moving on, say you got lucky and still have 1/3 of your mob left outside the truck. Any army that opens up on them and there you have it. I dont want to post specific points but lets say thats 165 points for the trukk and boys. You just lost that many points to one round of shooting. It wont always happen like that, but it has happened to me a couple of times. Scenario: SM Pred pops trukk with LC, trukk explodes kills 4 boyz, my boys were outside the truck and got opened up on by a tac squad, I lost everything in one turn. Or think about IG they pop the trukk with one tank and then let fly with a barrage of six templates onto your little squad (dont remember what tank that is). Dead orks! Orks armour save is a joke almost every weapon in the game says nope you die. Thats why the saying is true boyz before toyz. Two thirty man mobs intermingled and spread out is beautiful. Well just my thoughts on it hope I helped or at least put a different view into perspective. Have a great day.

Forgot to add that a 12 man slugga boys squad in CC is laughable. Yes you get to throw some punches out there, but they get slaughtered. Not to mention winner of combat is determined by number of wounds. You could easily be caught and slaughtered after your opponent wins combat and sweeps you. Ok now im done ha-ha, Hope I helped a little.

Oh sorry im back again ha-ha: Just to put out there I am no where near great with orks (two of my losses I was tabled). Just wanted to throw personal experiences out there. Thanks, have a good day.
    Last edited by Brother Captain Tom; January 8th, 2010 at 21:13.
    Ultramarines 12W/7L/2D 4000points Waaagh! Whut 9W/5L/1D 18000points
    Blood Angels Razorspam 2W/1L 2500points Vampire Counts Never played No idea lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I don't run a trukk list myself, well, it's sort of a Horde/Mek/Speed list. Yes it's eclectic but I like it! Keeps the opponent guessing. I don't find my trukks to be all that fragile, personally. I mean, you've got the armour to think of, and yes it's paper, but it's still one roll that may or may not penetrate. Even a lascannon will only glance on a 1. Then you have the results roll, with only 5 and 6 being terrible. Yes, 4 could be considered as bad but if you have grot riggers then this can be negated...sometimes. Then if they do manage to wreck or blow up your trukk, you have the Ramshackle rule, which has mostly good effects for you. If you get a high enough roll they don't even take any damage! Also, at least once that rule has made it so my boyz get 12" closer to the enemy and behind cover, so the trukk is still doing it's job. All in all, there are a lot of rolls that need to go well for the enemy in order for it to reliably take the trukk out of the game and do some decent damage to it's contents. If your opponent is pouring allhis firepower into one trukk to kill it, then the rest of your ladz have nothing to worry about.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chatawax View Post
    I don't run a trukk list myself, well, it's sort of a Horde/Mek/Speed list. Yes it's eclectic but I like it! Keeps the opponent guessing. I don't find my trukks to be all that fragile, personally. I mean, you've got the armour to think of, and yes it's paper, but it's still one roll that may or may not penetrate. Even a lascannon will only glance on a 1. Then you have the results roll, with only 5 and 6 being terrible. Yes, 4 could be considered as bad but if you have grot riggers then this can be negated...sometimes. Then if they do manage to wreck or blow up your trukk, you have the Ramshackle rule, which has mostly good effects for you. If you get a high enough roll they don't even take any damage! Also, at least once that rule has made it so my boyz get 12" closer to the enemy and behind cover, so the trukk is still doing it's job. All in all, there are a lot of rolls that need to go well for the enemy in order for it to reliably take the trukk out of the game and do some decent damage to it's contents. If your opponent is pouring allhis firepower into one trukk to kill it, then the rest of your ladz have nothing to worry about.
    This is a super good point. Trukks are disposable! Is why Orks drive them straight at the enemy as fast as possible!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chatawax View Post
    Lascannons into Trukks? Who are you playing?

A medium S weapon with high RoF is best for popping Trukks, like an autocannon. Since Trukks are open-topped, every penetrating hit except Weapon Destroyed will make them useless. Even with glancing hits, half of the results render them useless. It doesn't take dedicated fire to down Trukks, but if that's all you have then they go down hard.

Even with Ramshackle and a KFF, it's still bad. 2/3 Ramshackle results make the Trukk blow up, leaving you nothing to hide behind, and one can send you off backward or whichever direction, possibly blocking your own units.

They're not terrible, but definitely not something you want to base your army around.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread