Best Commander loadout - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Commander loadout

I recently got a battle force and seeing it is the first tau thing i have got i was wondering what is the best loadout for a lone commander. i was thinking of doing something like this.

Shas’o-fragmentation launcher, flamer, shield generator, ejection system, stimulant injector-146

I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an expensive unit for what he would be able to do. Unless you know you are going into a special kill point mission the ejection system is never necessary.

This unit is strictly anti light infantry that would have to be at pretty close range to do it's job. I would say you should take a peek at some of the suit tactica and see if you can get some info that my help you there.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Hey there,

Check out some of the stickied threads at the top. I wrote one on HQ loadouts that is a little outdated, but most of the info still stands. Pay particular attention to the section on El' vs O'.

Have fun
    Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Probably the easiest commander to play with is the Fireknife Commander: Shas'el, plasma rifle, missile pod. Usually the 3rd hardpoint is a targeting array and then you also buy a hard-wired multi-tracker for a total of 97 pts. This guy hits reliably and can stay effective at range. And staying at range is of critical importance for Tau, especially if you're getting used to the army.

That said, commanders are where I think you can do the most loadout experimentation. I used to run the "Centurion" regularly myself (plasma rifle, cyclonic ion blaster, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker). It's my favorite anti-infantry suit, the CIB will regularly give you some additional AP 1 wounds. The only reason I don't run it -- or other configurations I've experimented with much anymore (e.g., plasma rifle, airbursting frag projector; plasma rifle, fusion blaster; etc.) -- is because I've settled into a more "generalist" approach with all my battlesuits and have been much happier since. YMMV, of course.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

The Shas'O is not worth the extra points because the only stat changes are assault orientated and you do not want the Commander in an assault if you can avoid it.
    I usually run a Shas'El with the loadout number6 detailed (Plasma, MP, TA and HW multi tracker) and it is an ideal all rounder, the other build I use is to replace the Missile pod with a Fusion blaster but it takes skill to use because the short range nature of the fusion can leave the suit open to being assaulted. I use the fusion equipped suit on its own as a vehicles and tough unit killer.
    The best thing with commanders is they allow us to take BS5 Plasma and that is simply to valuable to miss, coupled with BS5 Missile pods you have a potent killing machine that can handle anything save AV14 vehicles and works at range and close up. The Fusion/Plasma suit is awesome at killing things like Terminators and can hurt anything even AV14 vehicles but I would recommend getting a lot of play experience with Tau before using it.

Forget all the fancy special issue stuff, very little of it adds anything of value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I agree with Dave. the type of loadout on a commander depends on your army list, the role you want or need him to play and your playstyle. I personally tend to go with missile pods, targeting array and a positional relay. Inexpensive and allows me some flexibility with reserves. However, I have had and use different load outs depending on my list composition and points allowed in the battle.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the advice i went through the tactica's and they were very helpful so i came up with this.

Shas'o-plasma rifle, Missile pod, shield generator, stimulant injector, hard-wired multi-tracker-142

i know he is expensive but the stims should help against small arms fire and the generator should help against anything big.

I took the shas'o so i could take a shield generator and increased his survivability with the extra wound.
    Last edited by ChocolateGork; January 4th, 2010 at 18:38.
    I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

FWIW, the reason you don't see many of us employing all that wargear is because we spend the points on more guns instead. Having extra models with more weapons is generally better than having fewer models with fewer guns.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but its no use if you cant have enough units for the points not spent to make up for more units dying due to lack of protection.
    But i ran him cheap id just go shas'el with the same minus the shield generator and stims plus a targetting array

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    FWIW, the reason you don't see many of us employing all that wargear is because we spend the points on more guns instead. Having extra models with more weapons is generally better than having fewer models with fewer guns.
    Yeah exactly. For the points you have spent on the extra wargear you could almost buy another whole XV8. Or think of it this way, if you add another 50pts you could buy 2 cut down commanders instead.

General consensus is to use the points elsewhere.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast