Eldritch Storm Q - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Eldritch Storm Q

So on a 40k blog I noticed that the blogger doesn't roll to hit or scatter for Eldritch storm.
    So as Im still new to 5th edition (just getting back into 40k, last played 2nd edition) I have a few questions for you all.

The Eldar codex p28 states that none of the powers require line of sight. Is this correct for the shooting powers also? If so, does this mean they can be used from within our transports since there is no fire point?

Also does one roll scatter +2d6 -BS for Eldritch Storm, or simply place the template and roll to wound? I did not see anything in the rulebook or codex specifying that BS is used or not.

-John

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldritch Storm is defined in the FAQ as a psychic shooting attack, which counts as firing a ranged weapon with the profile given (in this case it would be like resolving a blast.) I don't know if it can fire indirectly, it would likely say G18" if it could, but I've played it as not being required (even though in the 3 times I used it I'm pretty sure I fired direct every time), with a -BS reduction in scatter when fired directly. I've also never fired it out of a vehicle, as I don't think you can make a "shooting attack" from a vehicle with no fire points.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

I agree with the first part, except that I can not find anywhere that mentions a psychic shooting attack needing to 'roll to hit'. If there was a rol to hit required then it would seem logical that Mind War would also require a roll to hit.

I also looked up the Rules FAQ and since line of sight is not needed for Eldritch Storm, it seems that it can be fired from inside a vehicle.

--from GW 40k 5th edition rules FAQ:
    Q. Can a model use a psychic power that is not a
    Psychic Shooting Attack if it is embarked in a
    transport vehicle?
    A. Yes. If the power requires line of sight, this is
    still worked out from the vehicle’s fire points
    (this will count as one model shooting through
    that fire point if the power is used in the
    Shooting phase).

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I also looked up the Rules FAQ and since line of sight is not needed for Eldritch Storm, it seems that it can be fired from inside a vehicle.

--from GW 40k 5th edition rules FAQ:
    Q. Can a model use a psychic power that is not a
    Psychic Shooting Attack if it is embarked in a
    transport vehicle?
    A. Yes. If the power requires line of sight, this is
    still worked out from the vehicle’s fire points
    (this will count as one model shooting through
    that fire point if the power is used in the
    Shooting phase).
    But Eldar powers do not require LOS IIRC. certainly ppl have fortuned/guided their own waves serpents while riding in them.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guide, Fortune and Doom are not shooting attacks, but Eldridge Storm and Mind War are shooting attacks and need LOS. Eldar Vehicles do not have any fire points so the shooting attacks can not be used from inside them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    Also does one roll scatter +2d6 -BS for Eldritch Storm, or simply place the template and roll to wound? I did not see anything in the rulebook or codex specifying that BS is used or not.
    I would have to say that it is not scattered, as the description only tells you to place a template on a model within 18".

You are not told to work it out as a normal shooting attack like the destructor.

FAQ states the Eldritch Storm as a shooting attack (thus requiring LOS) but also says that it has exceptions to normal shooting rules (no scatter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I would have to say that it is not scattered, as the description only tells you to place a template on a model within 18".

You are not told to work it out as a normal shooting attack like the destructor.
    That has always been my interpretation as well, but not everybody agrees and it isn't 100% clear. I'd recommend reading your opponent the description of the rule before the game and asking what they think to avoid any arguments.

+ Reply to Thread