Noob Eldar vs Experienced Space Wolves, Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob Eldar vs Experienced Space Wolves, Help

Hi everyone! First post!

I have been playing Warhammer 40k for about 3 years now, on and off, mainly for the collecting and gaming, but now I would really like to paint an army.

Me and my friend have decided that to motivate each other to paint, we will model, base and paint a certain amount of points per week, for a game every weekend, kind of a "Tale of 2 Painters/Gamers". I have chosen Eldar because i have a Farseer, 20 Dire Avengers, a Waveserpent and 5 Warp Spiders, all just built, with no undercoat or paint. He has chosen Space Wolves and currently has 10 Grey Hunters, a Landraider Redeemer and a Rhino, planning to make a tank orientated army with a few Grey Hunter squads in Rhinos. We will start with 400 points to paint and prepare for a combat patrol game this weekend.

I have 150 dollars to spend at the moment, with more coming soon. I would like to make Dire Avengers in Wave Serpents and Jetbikes as my only troop choices, keeping a 'mech' Eldar theme. Over the next 8 weeks we will progress from 400 points up to 3,000 points for a final Apocalypse battle, so I will need plenty of anti-tank to take out his Landraiders.

So, being new to Eldar, I would like to know, what type of Eldar army will be strong against a Space Wolf 'mech' army, and using my models what would be good to take against his Grey Hunters in combat patrol? And what units should I invest in to take care of his many tanks? Can someone please tell me the pros/cons of using a mech Eldar army against Space Wolves.

I have never played combat patrol before, so some help writing a 400 point list would be appreciated, I'll be sure to post more about how we are progressing and some pictures

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to completely ignore this post, I'm not an eldar player. But as someone who playes mechanized Sisters, I am absolutley terrified of shining spears and fire dragons. Their manouverability (expecially if the fire dragonsare in a transport), is painfull and can hit my rhinos or my land raider before they are even abel to jump out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Fire dragons are a great way to deal with tanks. Warlocks can also be a good way to deal with tanks but spacewolves can be very good at stopping psykers and without fortune warlocks struggle. Waveserpents with EML and the shuriken cannon can do decently at hunting rhinos and getting side/rear on non landraider tanks, or you can throw on brightlances to try and take on landraiders. A few fireprisms to hit tanks or possibly linking for a marine killing ap 3 shot once you pop transports could work as well. Mech eldar is alot of fun but you will struggle until around 1000+ points when you can field a decent number of tanks. The combat patrol will be hard for you because waveserpents and prisms both have too high of an AV total to be used so I would look to a bike unit for a couple of shuriken cannons and maybe a warlock to try and hunt any vehicle the wolves may bring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for replying,

@Arbite
    Haha, im happy to take advise from anyone, ally or enemy I think I will buy some Fire Dragons and put them in a Falcon when my army gets to about 1000 points.

@nakaruru
    When I progress to around 1500 points two Fire Prisms will be added, I forgot all about their ability to combine shots, thanks for reminding me, perfect for killing those Grey Hunters. A Warlock on Jetbike and 3 Guardian Jetbikes with Shuriken Cannon will do great at 400 poitnts popping his Rhino. I'm pretty sure his 400 point army will be 10x Grey Hunters, a Rhino and a squad of wolf scouts. Any idea on how to gear up the Warlock?

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

Units I would take/advise, rules permitting:
    Doom/Guide/fortuneseer. You may even want to invest in Eldritch storm if he's running against lots of tanks. Think about a Warlock squad to accompany him.
    Fire Dragons - Tank popping goodness.
    Autarch - can be upgraded with tank popping goodness.
    Fire Prism - switch-hitting goodness. Is easily taken offline, though.
    Wave Serpent - Glory in action. TL gun, Energy Field, S12 ram in a pinch, carrying capacity
    Wraith Lord - cheap, very durable, very hard-hitting, only unit I know of that gets two flamers instead of TL (in addition to heavy weapons which will TL if two are taken)
    War Walkers - outflanking glass cannons
    Vipers - fast glass cannons
    Howling Banshees - absolutely decimate marines
    Striking Scorpions - good against Tac. armor (or similar), can put the hurt on Rhinos.
    Warp Spiders - highly maneuverable anti-heavy-infantry unit
    Dire Avengers - good anti-infantry troop choice
    Rangers - mean at range, long-rifle special rules make them pretty narsty against tanks as well
    Guardian Jetbikes - fast, reasonably survivable, decent shooty

Units I wouldn't take:
    Guardians - low BS, low save, expensive for their sack of fail
    S. Guardians - maybe, especially if you want those extra melta shots
    Harlies - can't take transports. Meh.
    Swooping Hawks - expensive, mixed roles ineffectively, low endurance
    Shining Spears - sounds nice on paper, tend to fail to make back their points, very small unit
    Falcon - low BS, easy to take offline
    Dark Reapers - maybe in combat patrol because it's so small, but they aren't maneuverable and all have heavy weapons
    Eldar Artillery - It's a joke. Don't even consider it.
    Wraith Guard - evil at short range. hard to get there

Combat Patrol rules (IIRC):
    No 2+
    No 3 wounds (or more)
    No total AV > 33 (front + 1 side + rear)

This eliminates most of the non-troop units. Under that, I would take a DA squad, a Ranger squad, a DR squad, and maybe splurge on a Swooping Hawk squad (because haywire/SW grenade pack will do something if all the AVs are so low, and their guns will do something against the infantry ppl will likely take), and a War Walker squad. If one of those doesn't work out, drop it.

Of course, it should be noted that while you can't field any of your tanks, he can't field any of his good ones either, like a Land Raider. I believe that he also cannot field Termies, most command units, Preds, or Whirlies.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

You might want to look at a waveserpent over the falcon for transporting firedragons, cheaper and still rather durable. If the warlock is going to be in a bike unit I normally go for embolden ( as LD 8 isn't that reliable ) and a spear to give you some ranged AT punch. If you can't get close enough to charge the tank stay about 10" away throw the spear then assault move away from it leaving the marines unable to reach you with a charge. If you plan to keep using the bikes as you go up in points I would up them to 6 guardians 2 cannons and the warlock to give them some more shooting and better staying power. Others may recommend dropping them to just 3 bikes to put in reserve and try for objectives late game but I find such units die to quickly for my taste.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, time to go buy some models.

It seems like a unit of 3 Guardian Jetbikes and a Warlock will serve me well, in combat patrol and further into the campain. So i will get some of those and another Wave Serpent for my Dire Avangers.

Thanks for the advise everyone, I will update on how the battle went on Saturday night and post some pictures.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend (Wolf Scout, he should be posting soon) rang up and told me he would most likely use 2 Grey Hunter squads with Plasma Guns instead of the Rhino. Oh noes! Lucky I haven't bought any models yet, So I guess I will buy some Jetbikes and a Warlock later on in the campain, so what would do well against 20 Grey Hunters? Maybe out number him with Dire Avengers and try to Blade Storm him to death? I postponed buying any models until early tomorrow, but thats the latest I can buy them, so any advise what to use against massed Grey Hunters would be apreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all this is the Space Wolf player Avatar will be playing against, thank you for the support you have given to my friend it will help us play a very competitive campaigne
    and get our army's painted for once instead of sitting on the shelf gaining dust.

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    My friend (Wolf Scout, he should be posting soon) rang up and told me he would most likely use 2 Grey Hunter squads with Plasma Guns instead of the Rhino. Oh noes! Lucky I haven't bought any models yet, So I guess I will buy some Jetbikes and a Warlock later on in the campain, so what would do well against 20 Grey Hunters? Maybe out number him with Dire Avengers and try to Blade Storm him to death? I postponed buying any models until early tomorrow, but thats the latest I can buy them, so any advise what to use against massed Grey Hunters would be apreciated.

Thanks
    I would load out shuricannons, starcannons, and/or EMLs on either a squad of vipers or War Walkers. That'll put a dent in them if anything that you can take in Combat Patrol will. (Alternatively, Howling Banshees.)
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast