Necron Monolith questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron Monolith questions

Hi Guys,

I am a new Necron player and had a few questions. I have been reading through some of the posts and found a few things I am unable to find in the rule book or the codex. I was wondering if you guys can clarify.

1. One of the threads concerning the monolith mentioned that it can only be hit on a roll of a 6? I am just wondering where this rule came from

2. In the codex the Monolith's Particle Whip is a S9 AP3 weapon yet I have read in a few places that it is AP1?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Welcome to the harvest!

1. It's a vehicle, and hitting on 6s is covered in the "assaulting vehicles" section of the 40k rulebook.

2. This took me a while to find too. It's in an awkward place. Read the section in the beginning of the codex under definitions of Necron weapons and the gauss rule. Reminds me of how they placed the marks' effects in the Chaos codex.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Answers inline:

1. One of the threads concerning the monolith mentioned that it can only be hit on a roll of a 6? I am just wondering where this rule came from
    A: WRONG. It can be HIT normally by weapons fire based on BS. In CC skimmers in 4th edition used to be hit only on a 6, however in 5th edition that was removed and based on movement determines what it's hit on. Since the Monolith can only EVER move 6" it is always hit on a 4+. It can't move all out to make it hit on 6+ only.

2. In the codex the Monolith's Particle Whip is a S9 AP3 weapon yet I have read in a few places that it is AP1?
    A: The template is AP3, however the particle whip has a special rule for whatever is directly under the center circle. If a model is under the CENTER circle there is also an AP1 wound assigned to that model/unit. Example: If I pie plate a vehicle and a unit. The center is over the vehicle and the template is over say 3 marines. The vehicle hit is AP1 and the marine hits are AP3. Also, if the AP1 is on the unit, the opponent gets to decide where to put it. In 4th edition Necron players used to SNIPE named characters with this.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the clarity! I'm still learning how to play them. On a different note is there another application beside Army Builder from Lone Wolf to use for 40k? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Just write it on a piece of paper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

When it's up and running again armyroster.com will be cheaper, it shouldn't be too long before it's finished now.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that all the others are correct but thare is another thing i think you have missed- this concerns something to do with the flux arcs.

now from the rules in the codex it does not say anywhere that you cannot fire the flux arcs AND the particle whip in the same turn- can you do this? even though i am an experienced player this is still confusing, usually though my opponents let me do so because if you cannot it is a real pain as you have to choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Particle Whip is an ordinance weapon. If you look at the ordinance rule in the rulebook it will explain it. Also that question is in the FAQ and it states that you are not allowed to shoot both the Particle Whip and Gauss Flux Arc in the same turn.

I came across a similar situation last night and came to the conclusion of: you can still use your monoliths power matrix to teleport a unit of necrons and fire your Gauss Flux Arc the same turn. Basically the reason you cant fire both weapons is because of the ordinance rule.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by madmek View Post
    It seems that all the others are correct but thare is another thing i think you have missed- this concerns something to do with the flux arcs.

now from the rules in the codex it does not say anywhere that you cannot fire the flux arcs AND the particle whip in the same turn- can you do this? even though i am an experienced player this is still confusing, usually though my opponents let me do so because if you cannot it is a real pain as you have to choose.
    It does say it somewhere, I believe on the FAQ? It's Flux Arc & Portal, OR Particle whip. Has to do with moving and firing multiple weapons in the main rulebook.,
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source : Necron FAQ

Q. Can the Monolith fire its particle whip and
    gauss flux projectors in the same turn?
    A. No, the Monolith cannot fire the particle whip
    (as it is an ordnance weapon) and gauss flux
    projectors in the same turn. The particle whip
    uses the large blast marker and its range and line