First Purchase Opinions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

First Purchase Opinions

Hi all. I'm on the tip of starting an Eldar army and I would appreciate some experienced opinions .

I will be starting small, and most likely playing a few 500 to 700 point games in the beginning.

At present I only have a wave serpent, 10 dire avengers, and a falcon. I know Eldar is a very specialized army but I was wondering what might be a good general starting choice for say one or two more unit choices.

I was thinking I definitely need a farseer and some warlocks...but also maybe a box of firedragons and a guardian squad?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

You might want to avoid Guardians, unless you go the route of Guardian Jetbikes; Guardians themselves tend not to be very effective, and I'd only get them for fluff or modeling purposes (as I still love those models!). You definitely need a second Troops choice, though, and for that I'd recommend either more Dire Avengers or a unit of Pathfinders, personally. I love the Pathfinders models, so for that reason alone I'd say they're worth the buy.

Besides that, I'm a big fan of Striking Scorpions as well. They may not have power weapons but their abundance of attacks and nice armour save usually makes up for that. Give the codex a few reads and see what strikes your fancy the most!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I say get 2 farseers.

Then either get either storm guardians (you will need 2 more after you get the box set) and a warlock or a box of DA. Then get another wave serpent.

When its time to choose elites....its kinda personal preference for Scorps or banshees. Fire dragons are always good.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

in my experience, dire avengers in a wave serpent or jetbike guardians(i like a squad of 3 and a warlock with destructor and a singing spear) are your best troop choices. 1 of each or two of either.

a farseer(doom), hanging out with a squad of banshees in a wave serpent and a squad of fire dragons in a serpent. that will get you around 750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the point of view of playing with what you have I would suggest some Striking Scorpions. They can flank/infiltrate so will not need a serpent (Fire dragons will!) you can keep your Serpent for the Dire Avengers. BTW Blade storm and two cats work very well with them. Next I would get a small squad of bike to fill up some troop choices. Keep them in reserve, turbo boost around, stay behind cover a snipe the Cannon ready to contect/take objectives at the end of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    From the point of view of playing with what you have I would suggest some Striking Scorpions. They can flank/infiltrate so will not need a serpent (Fire dragons will!) you can keep your Serpent for the Dire Avengers. BTW Blade storm and two cats work very well with them. Next I would get a small squad of bike to fill up some troop choices. Keep them in reserve, turbo boost around, stay behind cover a snipe the Cannon ready to contect/take objectives at the end of the game.
    Oh and of course get a Farseer with DOOM for the Avenger squad!

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Depends on your style of play.

I would always get a farseer. That dude(tte) is just too useful to pass up.

Now, for very small games there are really two routes that you can take, as Mech Eldar takes way too many points - range or speed.

Range would involve Dire Avengers, Rangers/Pathfinders, possibly Wraithlord(s), War Walkers, and maybe Dark Reapers

Speed (more correctly ambush) involves Rangers/Pathfinders, Swooping Hawks (as a vehicle for a SW Autarch), Warp Spiders, and Vipers.

Really, it's up to you. Go with what you think is your playstyle.

EDIT: Found the ambush-themed Eldar army that I was referring to; it apparently works well.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...bush-list.html
    Last edited by rafis117; January 9th, 2010 at 21:41.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

+ Reply to Thread