Pulse carbines for FoF squads? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulse carbines for FoF squads?

take them in a FoF squad? i was thinking of running 10 pulse rifles, and 2 with carbines. Since even though the enemy might not be able to assault the FW next turn, they can still rapid fire back, the chance of pinning them (even the small chance it is) seems like a worthy addition for the loss of 2 S5 shots

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think its feasible unless you invest a little more into it.

First, you have to hit, and with only 2 shots, on the basic BS 3, only 1 will hit.

Then that has to wound (lets say its against a space marine, since they are so popular), against the T4, you will have 2/3 chances to wound, or 0.66.

Then you have to think about the chance of them failing their pinning test (this is where markerlights come in, and they might also be used when trying to hit, but pinning is the important part).

If you wound with the carbine, then you have to have them fail pinning, which isn't reliable unless you use several markerlights to lower their leadership for that test. I think most would agree that markerlights can and should be used elsewhere, most of the time. Not to mention you still might not wound, so the markerlights will be wasted in the first place.

(question to others: do you need to declare the markerlights used for pinning before you fire? I think so, but I want to see what others think).

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

@Ordo Malleus: The chances of pinning units are quite low, whereas having more shots hitting the target leads to a better chance of causing wounds.

@Bluesystem: All Markerlight use is declared before any shooting occurs (paragraph following last bullet point of the Markerlight box on P.29 Codex Tau Empire). So if you have say 5 Markerlights on an SM Tactical Squad and fired the above Pulse Rifles/Pulse Carbines combo at them, you would (probably) be calling 2 ML hits to bump the BS up to 5 in order to help the Carbines hit in the first place, and then use the other three ML hits to lower the leadership value by -3 for the (hopefully) ensuing Pinning check. All of this would be declared before you fired a shot from this single Fire Warrior unit.

If you wanted to hold over some ML hits for a second Tau unit to use against this SM Tactical Squad then that's fine, but once your first FW squad opens fire you cannot then change your mind with the decisions made about the MLs you have declared for them to use.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The minimum number of shots I would be comfortable shooting (with ML support for BS 5) to claim at least one unsaved wound from a MEQ model is 8 (80% chance of at least one wound.) This means you would be sacrificing 8 shots for the potential to pin the enemy unit.

Honestly, on paper at least, it doesn't sound like too bad of an option in a few specific instances, but pinning just isn't a sure enough thing (even with ML support) to be worth basing a tactic around. In small games (under 1500 points) it is hard to bring enough ML shots to make this a sound tactic. In large games (1850+) there are much better things you can be doing with your ML rather than lowering leadership values.

If you really want to test it out, please do so! There are many tactics I use that seemed rather silly until I saw how effective they were on the battlefield. Much of your effectiveness as a commander will come from experience and knowing what works on the table vs. what works on paper. Good Luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

.....NOOOO!
    now im not being mean here but that is one of the biggest donts in my eyes to the tau empire. the only reason they're in my army is because my pathfinders have to take it.

here are the facts:
    1. carbines have just about half the range of a pulse rifle
    2. it causes pinning, however coming across necrons, space marines (or pretty much any imperial in power armor), and any fearless enemy (which are growing quickly) its rendered useless other than a wound
    3. it has all the other stats of a pulse rifle except it can only fire 1 shot!
    4. basically it takes away nearly half range and 1 shot just for pinning, which can be renered completely useless against tons of enemies.
    i say they're completely usesless compared to the pulse rifle in combat.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

The only time the pulse carbine would be of any use is if you want to shoot the enemy and then assult them.....so yeah.

+ Reply to Thread