Dependence on Seer Councils? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Dependence on Seer Councils?

Now, I'm not an Eldar player, but I frequent most/all of the 40k forums a good bit, and it seems that lately there's been a LOT of stock put into a Farseer on jetbike with a Seer Council on jetbikes to back him up. What's the deal with this?

I understand it provides a pretty durable unit and, with the proper powers, a pretty destructive one, but is this just one of those unit fads that comes into fashion, only to disappear in the future? I've seen my fair share of those throughout this hobby, and it's striking me as similar. Everyone who plays Eldar seems to be swearing by this squad (at least, here on LO), and I'm just not sure why it's a better option than any of your other great options, for equal or cheaper points.

I'm curious if you guys think this is just a fad going around, or if it is truly the best option for the points.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Seer Councils have been coming and going for, I think, several years already. It's a good unit, until your enemies get used to how to play against them, then it's time for it to take a few month's rest.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Cost effective? Maybe not.

There is one thing no one can deny is that with fortune casted, they are really hard to kill. They are also good at smashing anything with an armor value. But not really good at melee , well they are okay.

As of now I personally think Farseers are the best option by far. Autarch only saving grace is his reserve bonus. The phoenix lords are too expensive. Except for maybe the DA one. Avatars are too slow. Our special characters are really good though.

I try not to run one during non-tournament games. They are cheesy and make opponents cringe their teeth. But in tournaments when facing a hundred tanks in IG, 30 Rhinos, assault termies, nob bikers...etc...i dont really kare.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

seer councils are a good solid choice that offers some versatility and durability against many opponents, as of the fads you are talking about, every unit comes and goes out of fashion for a multitude of reasons ( mostly new codex realeses or change in rulebook) for instance everyone thought harlequins were the shit in 4th edition but when 5th came out they got boned, so as a rule they went out of style. Will this happen to the council? who knows but i do not think so purly because of their sheer versatility, unless they change the witchblade rule to wound on 4's and an 8 strength weapon vs tanks. ( i would cry if that happened).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

With the new combat res rules they have become a fairly powerful melee unit and lethal to tanks. I think it is more the eldar codex starting to fall a bit behind the curve and the council is one of the shrinking number of units that still make the grade in competitive play. I have also found it to be the best counter for the other beat stick units that are running around in tournaments.

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

There may be another option, dunno if this idea has floated around before:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...e-autarch.html
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Lance autarchs hit hard as do shining spears, but they are far to fragile to shooting and low in number to take on large melee units. For the cost of an autarch and 5 shining spears with an exarch you can get a fortune seer and around 5 warlocks on bikes. They might not hit as hard because they don't have power weapons on the charge, but far more durable and even better at hunting most types of tank. The more I think about the warlock bike council I think it is the fact that they are resilient and verisitle ( sp? ) something most eldar units are not, while still keeping the mobility eldar love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Now, I'm not an Eldar player, but I frequent most/all of the 40k forums a good bit, and it seems that lately there's been a LOT of stock put into a Farseer on jetbike with a Seer Council on jetbikes to back him up. What's the deal with this?

I understand it provides a pretty durable unit and, with the proper powers, a pretty destructive one, but is this just one of those unit fads that comes into fashion, only to disappear in the future? I've seen my fair share of those throughout this hobby, and it's striking me as similar. Everyone who plays Eldar seems to be swearing by this squad (at least, here on LO), and I'm just not sure why it's a better option than any of your other great options, for equal or cheaper points.

I'm curious if you guys think this is just a fad going around, or if it is truly the best option for the points.
    It's not an efficient use of points. A full Jetbike council can run 600 points for a single squad. They're tough to kill, hit hard and are very fast, but I still don't think they're worth three Trygons or 15 Assault Terminators. Even a minimum sized Jetbike Council costs about as much as a Land Raider or Monolith.

Still though, I like Jetbike Seer Councils. They're both fun to play and can be very useful. Versatility is always good, as is mobility, and both always have been. It also helps that they are fun to play and one of the few really defensive units in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a terribly efficient use of points, but consider this.

Farseer - Doom, Fortune, Stones
    5x Warlocks - Enhance, Embolden, 3x Destructor
    Falcon - Bright Lance

That squad is 450 points give or take. It has a 6 men with WS 5/6, I 5/6, rerolls leadership, rerolls 4++ saves, rerolls all to-wound has a tank with 3 strength 8 shots coming off of it, and can lay waste to ANYTHING on foot with three heavy flamers (That reroll to wound). All this and their ability to hunt monstrous creatures or tanks with the witchblades.

Not to be abrasive, but I'd take that over 2ish Trygons or 11 termies any day of the week.
    Last edited by therascalking13; January 14th, 2010 at 17:33. Reason: I botched the formatting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

People often state that the point cost of a Jetbike Council is rediculous, but a good many other units in our codex are overcosted as well. The difference here is that the bike council is hard to kill, can reploy at a moments notice, can lay down tremendous firepower against horde armies, can devastate AV in CC, and you can still put other psychic powers in to provide support to the rest of the army.

Admitedly, there ARE things you don't want a bike council to go head-to-head with, but at least they have the mobility to get away. You also have to remember that a bike council is getting some bonuses that a regular seer council isn't, beyond increased mobility. Namely the increased toughness, the 3+ armor save(probably fortuned), and the 6" assault move.

Another thing not always seen is the larger base size. If you have 6-8 Warlocks and a Farseer on a bike, you can assault more than one unit at a time. Here, I refer to AV. If an army (i.e. Guard) have a lot of tanks/transports close together, you could easily be getting 3-6 S9 hits against AV10-11 on each one.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

+ Reply to Thread