storm guardians or striking scorpions( mechanized) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

storm guardians or striking scorpions( mechanized)

a while ago this question for me would be obvious, however in light of recent events i have been wondering if storm gaurdians are overall a better buy for mech lists than scorpions. here are the disadvantages + advantages of each....

Scorpions:
    Advantages- better armour, outflank in serpent, better overall stats, exarch abilities/weapons and plasma grenades.

Disadvantages- more expensive, no special weapon options, if they outflank it can take too long to get there or they end up on the wrong side, not a troop choice.

Storm guardians:
    Advantages- cheaper, special weapon options, ability to take warlock, troop choice

Disadvantages- worse armour, worse stats, no plasma grenades.

honestly right now i cannot decide which is better for mech and so i thought you guys could help me out, which works better for you personally and how do you use each on the battlefeild, ect... thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Storms don't really assault well even with enhance ( I take them for tri flamer fun ), they can clean up the last couple of models maybe but don't expect them to take on true assault units. The biggest bonus is the fact they are scoring, so my advice would be take storms if you are low on scoring units and scorpions ( which you seem to like ) if you feel comfortable with the number of scoring units you already have.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

Cannot compare 2 units that have different roles on batle field. My ussualy response is Use both of them
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nakaruru and niraco are right.
    It depends on your list.
    I´d take both as well. The scorpions for the real assault and the guardians for support or cleaning up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

In a tough CC, Storm Guardians are not going to win. However, one advantage I do like is that you can move 12" and immediately jump out and flamer a unit into ashes. With true CC units, like Scorps or Banshees, you have to wait out that round of shooting.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by darquewing View Post
    In a tough CC, Storm Guardians are not going to win. However, one advantage I do like is that you can move 12" and immediately jump out and flamer a unit into ashes. With true CC units, like Scorps or Banshees, you have to wait out that round of shooting.
    i will correct you a little. In a tough Cc SG are not going to win unsupported. They are a close combat unit with a lot of attacks. But as they have ws 3 s3 they need doom and also enhance (or face orks) in order to strike first. in CC not supported they die, always. Supported with shooting, psyhic powers, IC attached they can do surprises. My best example is from the last GT where i faced they guy who was going to win the tournament and his orks. 10 guardians +warlock flamed a unit of 25 doomed orks. 12 or 14 remained alive. Cannot charge due to range. His turn he charged me. Before the orks swing all of them except 1 were dead. That was a moment to remember. Less succesful but almost as funny was with CC kited doomed tyranid warriors. SG died but took 4 of 5 warriors with them.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Last time I fielded Storm Guardians with the triple flamer setup they totally demolished the unit I was going to assault, leaving me with my Storm Guardians out of range of the objective, and my enemy with units still near it. It's one of those attacks that can be too effective, like winning an assault during your own turn, it's usually better to win an assault during the enemies turn. Storm Guardians are a great troop choice, even if they are a bit pricey with the Wave Serpent.

Against MEQ's I'd prefer the Scorpions, the extra strength and armour really helps when fighting tougher units, against GEQ's I'd say Storm Guardians are to be preferred, although Scorpions are awesome there too.

I'd love to try them against mech Guard, a group of Storm Guardians with 2 Fusion Guns, hop out, pop a Chimera and assault the squad inside... kersplat! Sadly, you'll be outnumbered and outgunned, at least when looking at your total units, so it might not be very effective in the long run, I'd love to try it though.

Something the Scorpions can be is a resilience unit, they can really soak up a lot of attacks when Fortuned, this is something that Storm Guardians can't do. I've always likes the Scorpions, they rarely disappoint unless I have an extremely bad round of save throws. Last time I used them against Space Marines they tore through 2 tactical squads and one assault squad. Just watch out for those power weapons on captains and whatnot.

I'm mostly blabbering here, but both units are good, I'd suggest trying them for a game or two with a buddy to see which unit you prefer. Really it comes down to play style(your list and tactics) and your opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

personally with my game style i dont field jet bikes or guardians,my troops are just pathfinders and DA's but i play mostly mech, with the scorpions outflank they can keep up with the mech, and although you may end up on the wrong side, wth the 3+ save, they can withstand a turn of shooting before an assault any way, and i little off topic, most people take the scorpions claw (that i know) and i see this pointless, sacrifising initiative 6, for a str 6 atk?

But IMO, Scorpions hands down.
    When faced by an army of awesomness, RUN.

Adding Rep is always nice for everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

In my experience (read: I've played Eldar for about 5 months), I have fielded both Striking Scorpions and Storm Guardians.

I have tried the following setup combinations:
    6x Striking Scorpions - Exarch w/ Claw (or Chainsabres, depends on my mood I guess) and Shadowstrike.
    6x Striking Scorpions - Exarch w/ Claw and Wave Serpent

10x Storm Guardians - 2x Flamer, Warlock w/ Destructor and Witchblade in a Wave Serpent
    10x Storm Guardians - 2x Flamer in a Wave Serpent, with an Autarch w/ Power Weapon and Fusion Gun

In all of the above scenarios, the "10x Guardians + Warlock in a Serpent" was BY FAR the best combination. They had the most bang for their buck. I have taken that combination on multiple occasions, and have yet to be disappointed. Granted, the unit has been shut down (wave serpent destroyed on turn 1 or 2), but you can run, then next turn fleet them into combat (usually).

The scorpions can deal out the dmg, but not quite like the guardians due to the ability to wield the flamers (and take a warlock with a heavy flamer). The scorpions cannot TAKE objectives.. and they tend to become more of a target once they hop out of that serpent (or land from the shadowstrike).
    The guardians just fit more roles all around, and will cost you less in the long run (both monetarily and point wise).

Just my 2-cents.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

It really depends on how you use them. The Storm Guardians (in a mech list) make a deadly frontline assault mob, whereas Scorpions fit the outrider model- strike hard, hit rear/side armor, butcher infantry, plow through until you meet your allies on the other side.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast