Starting Crons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Crons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, Im going to a friends later today, so he can sell me his Necron army. I have been playing WH40k for about 2 years now, and have Tyranids and Iron Warriors. I need your expert advice about the following units:

Pariahs: Not alot of people here seem to use them. Why? What are their Pros and Cons? How do you use them properly?

Flayers: Are they really worth it? How do you include them in your strategies, if most of the necrons are geared towards shooting?

Immortels: Are they really good? Because a friend keeps bragging about them. Are they better than, say, Chaos Havocs?

Tomb Spiders: Are they worth the points? What do you use YOURS for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Pariahs:
    Damned expensive at 36pts a pop.
    Don't count as Necrons, thus don't get We'll Be Back, teleport or other assorted goodies.
    Probably strike 2nd with only 3 initiative.

Warscythes = enemy gets no CC armour save WHATSOEVER and 2D6 armour penetration on vehicles. Watch those terminators and dreadnoughts get minced up.
    Enemies in range are stuck at Leadership 7.

Flayed ones are good but the Necron's strong point isn't close combat so they'll be on their own.

Everyone loves Immortals. Strong assault2 blasters. Nice toughness. Count as Necrons. Necron Warriors are becoming an alternative as the new rapid fire rules kick in though.

Tomb Spyders? That heavy thing on a flying base? They're worth it, but suck up points in smaller games.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cybugger@Sep 4 2004, 044
    Right, Im going to a friends later today, so he can sell me his Necron army. I have been playing WH40k for about 2 years now, and have Tyranids and Iron Warriors. I need your expert advice about the following units:

Pariahs: Not alot of people here seem to use them. Why? What are their Pros and Cons? How do you use them properly?

Flayers: Are they really worth it? How do you include them in your strategies, if most of the necrons are geared towards shooting?

Immortels: Are they really good? Because a friend keeps bragging about them. Are they better than, say, Chaos Havocs?

Tomb Spiders: Are they worth the points? What do you use YOURS for?
    [snapback]207649[/snapback]
    Pariahs: Well pariahs do suck. But in 4ed assault weapons become a lot better, because you can move, fire, assualt and get your charge bonus. I still don't think they are good but my friend that tought me how to play the game, and hes been playing sense 2nd ed (back when they had the cards befor all these 9 yesr olds played :unsure: ) is going to use them so, mabye he can find a way to make 'em work.

Flayed ones: Unless you make a big error flayed ones well most likely pay their points back in double. And they are really good in missions that the other player uses senterys, as they are so sneaky :closedeyes:

Immortels: For 4ed I do not like them. Most likely all you would do whith them is worp whith the the, but now that you can move and rapid fire warriors become much more effective at this. I never really like Immortels i don't know why.

Tomb spyders: Always worth it. I use them for back up for my warriors so they don't die in CC. And also some times people ignore them and then when they get to their tanks for some reason the tanks disapear weird . But done count on them living the whole game they will probly die (after killing stuff of course) but I luv 'em luv em :wub:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, if I may offer an alternative to these opinions. 4th Edition has made me start to use units that I normally never used before:

Pariahs: I actually do use them whenever possible, I typically use the minimum of 4 or possibly 5 if I can afford the points. The only reason why I take them, apart from their added firepower punch is the fact that they can drastically decrease an opponent's Leadership. Since Leadership now has become more important in 4th edition, any way that I can alter my opponent's leadership is worth the points cost in my book. The Pros and Cons have already been listed for this unit and in order to use them properly, I simply advance them up with a close combat unit or otherwise keep them in such a position so that when the opponent's oncoming forces get close enough, they will be affected by it.
    -They can reach their MAXIMUM potential when combined with one of the following: A squad of Flayed Ones (using their Terrifying Visage rule), The Deceiver (using his various abilities), and a Lord with a Nightmare Shroud. I have performed all of these tactics quite successful, but they could not have been done without the pariahs being there.

But check it out, although I like pariahs, I do view them as somewhat of a points drain, et cetera. Thus, I only take them when I can or when I feel it's absolutely necessary, they're not a first priority.

Flayed Ones: With the new 4th edition Infiltration rules, Flayed Ones are again a favorite unit. I use them them to a) Go after heavy weapon squads/regular space marines, To provide a convient distraction for whatever reason, c) To deepstrike them in missions where table quarters are the objectives (when deepstriking, a table quarter instantly becomes yours or disputed.

Immortals: Eh, they're allright. Unlike most players, they're not one of my favorite units but I still see their value in their firepower/toughness, so I take 5-10 if and when I can afford it. I don't use the VoD tactic all that much (as I've yet to encounter a reason for doing so) so I don't quite need a squad of immortals to warp around

Tomb Spiders: I honestly wish I took more of these, and I always make a mental to do so, but I never remember to. Tomb Spyders are awfully neat. And yes, I used them as Tankbusters as many people don't know what to expect.

Bit of advice: Scarabs are now one of the coolest units the Necrons have thanks to 4th Edition (they're now one of my new favorite Tank Busters :o

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How should I use wraiths? Send them straight at the enemy or countercharge with them, like Kroot? And since I really like CC, how many wraiths would be considered too many in a 1000 pt army?
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a basic rule, ALL Necron Close Combat units are better when they counter charge. However, Wraiths and Flayed Ones are acceptably able to be charged into combat. Wraiths in particular however, have a tendency to die off rather quickly, but ONLY by the fact that their squad numbers are so limited. What I've found works with them, is that they can either 1) only be a convenient distraction for a turn or 2 or! 2) If you have two squads of wraiths, then they can become a formidable force. I happen to use them both ways and they have worked more often than not.

Finally, anymore than 4 (2 squads of two) would be too much in an 1000 point army, as it eats up points not to mention two Fast Attack slots.

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can scarabs be used for tank busting, with their pathetic strength?

Should I at all cost avoid CC with my Warriors? Im not sure, since some times they survive assaults, when other times their are whiped out within a turn of fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Originally posted by cybugger@Sep 11 2004, 113
    How can scarabs be used for tank busting, with their pathetic strength?

Should I at all cost avoid CC with my Warriors? Im not sure, since some times they survive assaults, when other times their are whiped out within a turn of fighting.
    [snapback]211337[/snapback]
    scarabs can be equipped with disruption fields, which are great to take out tanks with

you should avoid cc with your warriors against enemies that will surely take you out. but warriors are quite decent against weaker enemies, like spinegaunts, guardsmen or eldar guardians.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Senior Member SendMoreParamedics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bah, warriors are excellent in close combat. what they lack in iniative they make up for by having awesome armor saves and great leadership. even if you get charged by something like space marines, those warriors should be able to stand there ground. you may lose the first round of combat, but as long as you stick around in CC, the warriors will last (especially if you have a large group of warriors in the area, so you end up outnumbering the opponent).

dont forget, warriors who get their WBB rolls are essentially wearing terminatior armor.

that said, warriors in close combat against monstorous creatures, opponents wielding power weapons, power fists, and related things tend to die off rather quickly, as they almost always attack last, and lose their greatest strength in CC (the great save).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if there is a Tomb Spyder or Orb of Ress around, it is a bit like having a +4 inv save

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast