Warriors in 5th - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warriors in 5th

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors in 5th

Initially I was completely planning to ignore warriors, because that is what I did in 4th...but then took a good look at their options, and for their point cost compared to similar units in other armies(Terminators, Nobz, Ogryns ect)...all I can say is wow! Generally in 4th I would run 2 squads of stealers and pretty much build my focus around them. But now that I see that for 215 points I can get a 18 wound unit, that can put out 18 shots from deathspitters, and 1 large blast barbed strangler, I am really tempted to fit these guys into my lists.

I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to test these guys out yet, I am noticing in most peoples lists that they are being avoided. It is going to be awhile before I can actually play this book unfortunately, so some feedback would be awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think warriors were designed to be the swiss army knife slot of your troop choice column. That being said there are some troops that do things better and other options I am not sure why you would take. but lets look at thier options:

CC Options
    Rending - I see no reason to take claws on warriors. If you want a Rending unit get your genestealers for cheaper and better WS and In. for cheaper.
    Bone Swords - These are gonna be the bread and butter CC warriors. Warriors weilding force power weapons with a 3d6 leadership yes please. BSs w/ STs....IC hunting squad go!
    Sword and lash - A worth while upgrade if you know your fighting high Attack value opponents but I personally feel the loss of the other bone sword is not worth it.

Ranged Options
    Devourer - default
    Deathspitter - 1pt higher Str shot for 5pt. If your going shooty these should be your default not Devourers
    Spinefist - why? Why would you do this to yourself. 1pt less for TL.

Barbed over Venom - Preference option really. I would be more inclined to take a barbed as it's dmg is more inline with deathspitters (the default shooty option you should really be taking)

So I am thinking:
    3 Warriors - BS & STs with Glades (135pt) Counter strike squad for supporting MCs or other units

5 Warriors - Deathspitters x 4 Barb x 1 (180pt) Sit on an objective and throw out Str 5 shots and a Pie plate and make SM Devastator squads cry cheese. Oh and troop choice = objective is mine! mine! mine!

5 Warriors - BS & ST's with Glades in a Spore (265pt) Pricey but you are dropping a 15 wound nightmare into the enemy's territory just make sure to position warriors behind spore for cover on the drop as you have no shooting so no need to poke a head out.
    Last edited by Cronk-Smash; January 17th, 2010 at 16:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Bonesword+Whip on warriors is a really good option, with the only problem being it's more expensive. But killing that high-initiative IC or those Banshees before they get their hands on you is priceless. The loss of a D6 for ID isn't as important as the extra cost. Most of the time you don't need instant death, just to hit the enemy before they hit you.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I think we need to consider what kinds of enemies lash whips are actually useful against. MEQ? It takes 8 attacks to average a wound on you so unless you're fighting full units of wolves in CC it doesn't really hurt. Charging Berzerkers? I guess you want to have them striking after you. ICs? Yeah, them too. Overall though, most common units just won't deal much damage to our warriors. I think what you play against really has an impact. If you face lots of nob bikers and TWC you might want to take dual boneswords. If you face lots of harlequins, stealers, wytches (I had a unit of GH get eaten by these the other day... Don't underestimate them!), and berzerkers then lash whips are looking much better.

I would also urge you to talk to your opponent before stacking weapons. RAW says we can't though it looks like the author wanted us to be able to and just didn't realise we needed a rule to say we could. Most opponents probably won't mind if you stack CCWs, but some will get really anal about it and spread rumors that you cheat if you don't talk to them first and they find out about it.
    Last edited by Phalanx; January 18th, 2010 at 05:58.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really love the bone swords. it's really effective against independed characters.
    a few warriors of 45 points (boneswords and toxin sacs) can easily take out any prey.
    also the deathspitters blow the sh*t out of enemy units.

they are a bit expensive, but they are so much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been running a squads of 3 to 6 warriors in my games with rending claws and devourers and I have had great luck with them. The devourers are better than deathspitters because they are cheaper, and they give a -1 to leadership to any squad having to check after being shot. The rending claws make them very versitile. They get three attacks base and with rending, they have a good chance of taking out vehicles, walkers, or other units with good armour save. The one thing that is unfortunate is that you can't give them a 12 inch charge anymore.

+ Reply to Thread