New Codex Game - Initial Thoughts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

New Codex Game - Initial Thoughts

Yesterday I picked up the new codex form the local GW store, and I also picked up my friend Todd - who took a train from NYC to play a game with the new codex. He brought his Tau army, newly revamped (more about that in a bit). The next codex changed some things for me, mostly a drastic change in my shooting game. This is one of my old 4th edition codex battle reports, which includes my army list:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...take-hold.html (Tyranids vs. Tau, 2025 Points, Take and Hold)

This was the 2000 point list I used yesterday:

Worsel
    Hive tyrant with wings, dual scything talons, paroxysm and leech essence

Grendel
    Hive tyrant with heavy venom cannon, dual devourers, hive commander, paroxysm and leech essence, and 2 tyrant guard

3 Hive Guard

1 Hive Guard

2 Venomthropes

2 broods of 4 Tyranid Warriors each with scything talons, rending claws, and adrenal glands

1 brood of 9 genestealers

2 broods of 14 hormagaunts each

1 brood of 12 gargoyles

1 Trygon Alpha

Gamera
    Carnifex with barbed strangler and dual devourers

Todds List:
    1 Shas-el, 3 units of 3 crisis suits each. All of the suits had plasma and missile pods.
    1 unit of pathfinders with devilfish
    2 good-sized units of kroot with kroot hounds
    1 unit of firewarriors (about 8 I think)
    2 hammerheads with railguns
    1 unit of 3 broadsides with 2 shield drones
    2 squadrons of piranha (1 had 2, the other 1)

We were playing a capture and control with a pitched battle deployment. The board was my Lalonde jungle terrain, with a lot of jungle and such on one side, mostly ziggaruts and rocks on the other, and a fairly open space in the very center of the field. I won the roll and took first turn and the table edge with the jungle cover. One objective was near the center, the other was in Todd's back right (as he looked at the board) corner.

I deployed the Trygon with deep strike and the gargoyles the same. Todd set up two strong points in both of his corners, each supported by kroot and crisis suits. His broadsides had great LOS from the top of the tallest ziggarut, while his suits could jump, shoot, jump. The hammerheads were setup to skim back and forth across his table edge and had decent lanes of fire. The open area in the center of the board was my big worry. I put my walking hive tyrant, a unit of warriors, the unit of 3 hive guard, and the 2 venomthropes there.

Todd's army was good at killing my monstrous creatures. On turn 2 I lost my flying hive tyrant and carnifex to a hail of concentrated fire that was bolstered by markerlights taking away my cover saves and boosting suit teams' ballistic skills. However, the upped wounds on the warriors gave them more staying power to survive plasma and the Tau missiles. I was digging the extra wounds. The kroot were no match for charging hormagaunts and warriors on one side and the flying hive tyrant on the other.

Hive guard are evil against crisis suits, because the high strength does cause ID if the suit fails its save. Considering how many shots a unit of 3 hive guard gets, without needing LOS, that rocks. The hive guard also punished the piranhas. Hive guard are best for nailing transports, fast stuff like piranhas, jetbikes, and multi-wound models they can ID, or models with a high T.

The Trygon Prime was awesome. He popped out of the ground right near the objective, killed a crisis suit with his shooting, and the following turn shredded a hammerhead. All those attacks, the rerolls from scything talons, the armor penetration from being a MC, and it's fair speed make the Trygon great at killing vehicles - even ones that are hard to hit.

Paroxysm is nice. I used it to good effect against the suits when I got stuck out of charge range, right where getting pounded with plasma and other ranged weapons was going to hurt. Didn't get a chance to use leech essence. Todd tends to concentrate on killing a MC until it's dead, and he tries to do it all in one turn when possible.

The gargoyles got unlucky, scattered badly while DSing, and landed in the open where a hammerhead shot wiped out the whole brood.

On this board the venomthropes were worth it. Marching across that open space in the center of the board, the venomthropes saved me lots of grief. They protected the walking tyrant, guard, a warrior brood, and the brood of 3 hive guard. The hive tyrant and its guard made it across without a wound. I only lost 2 of 4 warriors, and only lost 1 hive guard. I probably made 4 saves because of them. In a normal game, where I can use cover more (that open space in the center was evil), I don't know if the venomthropes are going to be worth it.

Oh, and in a list with lots of the MCs and hive guard, the warriors are durable. Why? Because if the enemy is shooting at the MCs with those high strength weapons (and he does need to shoot at those MCs with those high strength weapons), the warriors are harder to kill off with weapons that do not cause ID.

Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

*Moved to the "Battle Reports" Forum*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    *Moved to the "Battle Reports" Forum*
    My intent was not to create a battle report, though I understand why you would consider it a battle report. It's just far different than what I do when writing a batrep (see my older thread that I linked). My goal was to talk a bit about the changes I saw due to the new codex, and how that seems to affect my army list. What works, what doesn't, how everything fits together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Very well. *Thread returned*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Badmovies.org, I haven't seenyo u for ages. I used to love your battle reports. :-)

Question: What do you think of the new carnis now they are like double the points? Do you think they are still worth having on the field or Better spent on Hive Guards or another Trygon?

And in your next game with more terrian what do you think you'd take instead of Venomthropes?

Cheers for your thoughts

-w00kie

Please do not use chatspeak on LO. The word is 'You', not 'U'.
    ~Lawman.
    Last edited by Riptor; January 22nd, 2010 at 21:05.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by w00kie View Post
    Hey Badmovies.org, I havnt seen u for ages. I used to love ur battle reports :-)

Question: Wat do u think of the new carnis now they are like double the points? Do u think they are still worth having on the field or Better spend on Hive Guards or another Trygon?

And in your next game with more terrian wat do u think u'd take instead of Venomthropes?
    Thank you. I haven't played much 40K in the last few years, but I'm getting back into it. Having any real leisure time is my biggest problem. Still active duty USMC, three young children, and the website - it makes for little free time.

I think that carnifexes were too inexpensive before, but now they seem to be tipped over to being too expensive. However, I still liked the config I had on Gamera (stranglethorn cannon and devourers). Otherwise, bare bones ones with just scything talons and maybe bioplasma still seem usable, and ditto on dual-devourer fexes. The new list really encourages us to take trygons, since a trygon is everything I ever asked for in a CC carnifex. The flip side is that the new codex really limits making our MCs heavy gun platforms like the last codex allowed.

The days of making a shooty carnifex to take out tanks is past - I'd rather just take the tyrannofex if something like that is needed. I'm pretty sure I will take one of those now and then.

If I didn't take those venomthropes I'd almost certainly use the points and some other juggling to add another trygon. After some more testing I should have my core list created. Going for a mix of shooting and DS now, since mobility is always something I value and the new codex gives us lots of DS options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats cool. All your poor Carnis aye? All reduced to simple cheerleaders...

Have to played with the idea of using The Death Leaper or a standard Lictor for their Pheromone Trail then if your planning a DS heavy army?

And wat models have u thought about using as a Tyrannofex? U just going to use a Carni?

If u could keep us updated on ur Core / Tourni list i'd be very interested...

-w00kie
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

For the tyrannofex I'm probably going to rebase my converted Tars Tarkus carnifex onto a bigger base. It should have enough custom work to qualify for the tyrannofex model.

I have thought about lictors, but will probably use those elite slots for other monsters most of the time. Still, they will probably show up in games here and there. Once I get rolling I hope to write some more battle reports like I used to. Time is not my friend these days, as in I need more of it.

Oh, and my guess on the carnifexes is that the V6 codex will make them really competitive again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarification on what is coming out of that carnies head? Is that going to the gun? That conversion is sexy man I want one! By the way brother "Semper Fi"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast