Crushing Claws got better - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Crushing Claws got better

Right. So, Crushing claws may seem to have gotten worse since fourth ed, but actually they got better. The trick was, in fourth ed, Crushing Claws replaced the Carnifex's attacks with d6. On average, a d6 counts for 3.5. Thats only 1.5 attacks better than the Carni's profile attacks of 2 (in the fourth edition dex). The new crushing claws add d3, which, on average, gives you 2 extra attacks.

So: 4th ed Crushing claws add an average of 1.5 attacks
    5th ed Crushing claws add an average of 2 attacks

Tell me I'm wrong!

You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

You aren't wrong, but a 5th ed fex with crushing claws is worst than a 4th ed fex with crushing claws because it lost so many bio-morphs that helped the expensive fex stay alive. Not only that, but 2x ST 5th ed fexes are so good that its not really worth it to shell out for crushing claws. Plus you're now stuck at striking at I1 with crushing claws while in the old book you could strike at I2 (which was great).

Overall while crushing claws got better, crushing claw fexes are worse.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Also using Crushing Claws means you lose the bonus of Battering Ram, and Adrenal Glands if you buy them. A CC fex in the new codex without Adrenal Glands seems like a waste to me, as on the charge you get the chance to strike at init against almost every unit in the game, and in some cases go first, along with that bump up to S:10, which may or may not help (ID on T:5 Chars).

So as Phalanx said, yes Crushing Claws got better, but Crushing Claw fexes got worse.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Also, if you take Crushing Claws, you're not getting those very important re-rolls. And i think that that alone makes Crushing Claws a bad choice over Talons. Though I can totally see its uses on the Tervigon.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Necrontyr View Post
    Also, if you take Crushing Claws, you're not getting those very important re-rolls. And i think that that alone makes Crushing Claws a bad choice over Talons. Though I can totally see its uses on the Tervigon.
    They looks better than they are on Tervigons. You'll get one or 2 rounds of CC out of them, together withit's WS3 means 50% of 2d3 (avarage 4) will result in 2 hits. On marines 1 and a third wound... But they can be fun.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

+ Reply to Thread