Instinctive behavior Feed/Rage is the worst special rule ever? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Instinctive behavior Feed/Rage is the worst special rule ever?

I checked the 5 edition rules FAQ because I thought this must be wrong, then did a search and did not find any other post on this topic and did not see anything. Can someone tell me this is not true, Please!

Instinctive behavior feed--A unit that feeds is subject to the 40K special rule RAGE.

Rage--Movement phase: unit moves as fast as possible towards nearest hostile unit
    --Shooting phase: unit may run or shoot (Nids can't shoot via feed rule)
    --Assault phase: unit must consolidate towards nearest enemy unit.

Consolidate--A unit that consolidates may not move within one inch of an enemy model.

When you put these three rules together a feeding Nid will never assault, it will run into rapid fire range and then get shot to bits. This seems like it was written wrong but was has no errata written to fix this that I can find. Will someone please make this right...I mean Death Company can not assault unless they are with a Chaplin? Sisters Repentia and Acroflagelants cannot ever kill anything? Feeding Nids just run to their enemies and stand still to die? This is mind boggling. Please please please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Of course not. the rule "rage" never says you arent allowed to assault. The the "consolidate" bit only applies if you wipe out the enemy, then when you consolidate, you must do so directly toward the closest visible enemy.

so yes, you can assault.
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerofAsmodean View Post
    Of course not. the rule "rage" never says you arent allowed to assault. The the "consolidate" bit only applies if you wipe out the enemy, then when you consolidate, you must do so directly toward the closest visible enemy.

so yes, you can assault.
    What Slayer said...

-Dragons

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Consolidation is only ever done on 2 occassions:

1) When you rally after falling back (done in the movement phase).

2) After you beat or sweep an opponent in cc (done in the assault phase).

The fact that you're consolidating in the assault phase means that you've just won in cc.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Consolidation is only ever done on 2 occassions:

1) When you rally after falling back (done in the movement phase).

2) After you beat or sweep an opponent in cc (done in the assault phase).

The fact that you're consolidating in the assault phase means that you've just won in cc.
    I certainly hope that is right. I believe that is what they mean, but it still seems to me that the rule as it is written is that in your assault phase you get to consolidate instead of making an assault move. I don't think this was there intention, and I also don't think they intended to let you assault anyone within range during the assault phase, but if you get to make your assault move as normal which is what you are implying then the rage rule really loses a big piece of its disadvantage because if you don't want to assault something it doesn't say you have to attempt to assault the closest unit so you can just try for something you know is out of range and then stand there while you don't assault (I know this normally isn't what you want to do, but it might be helpful in some situation somewhere).

I certainly intend to play it so that I can assault until I am challenged by someone, but once they challenge it doesn't really seem like I have too much of a leg to stand on because with the rule as is written seems to add one more time when you would consolidate, so instead of just those two you should add when you rage during your assault phase.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

It doesn't need to specify that you can assault and then consolidate. It's understood (well, by most, at least). Just like when it says a psychic power is a psychic shooting attack, it is automatically understood that 1) you need a target, 2) you need LOS and 3) they have to be in range (unless otherwise specified). There's no need in the power's description to explicitly specify these. They're an inherent part of the rules for shooting.

Likewise, consolidating from combat is an inherent rule of an assault. Unless it explicitly says that you can do a consolidation move without being in an assault, the norm is that you finish combat, the loser takes a LD test, if fails take a sweeping advance test, and if successful, he falls back and you consolidate. Otherwise, you cannot legally just consolidate in the assault phase without first being involved in an assault.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread