Unexpected fail - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected fail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unexpected fail

Ok so I went into the weekend after building my Trygon and Mawloc thinking they're gonna own right? Well...no it turns out that everytime I've used them they get focus fired and died. Ruining all my tactics. Yeah they have 6 wounds, but a 3+ save with no invul? No way is this gonna earn back its points, especially being such a big target. All 3 games I played I used both and not once did they earn their points back. The turn they deepstruck is the turn they died. I think my trygon accomblished killing one imperial guard tank while it had 1 Wounds left.

Whats going on?....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

One word: saturation. Know part of your force is going to die, but you have to give them enough targets so the rest of your army can get there and finish the job. Sure, if a lone Trygon show up at their door he's going to go down in fire. BUT it'll take them most of their firepower to bring it down. So make sure he's going to give the rest of your army the time they need to reach the enemy lines.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the enemy is only focusing on your Trygon then your opponets not firing at something else use this time to make some other troops get some kills if there only attacking your trygon.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Tyranids lose heavy casualties when opponents are able to focus fire on your MC's. Indeed, Tyranids are easier to defeat when the opponent allowed to do this also has a proper idea of what targets take priority.

You're either using them as fire-magnets, allowing the remainder of your broods to move across the board with minimal casualties. Or, you use them in conjunction with other in-your-face units to overwhelm the opponent and make focused fire more difficult. If you lack the other units to do so, then your big-baddies will only serve as easy-to-kill fire magnets. If your list isn't designed to capitalize on sacrificing those baddies.. then you're S.O.L.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use your mawloc WITH your mawloc, mawloc straight into enemy units, and then sow even more despair with thy trygon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

IMO your doing it wrong. You dont want to be deep striking trygons except in occasion circumstances, namly the spearhead deployment.

And as Boss Gorestompa says, target prioritory. If a trygon pops up in your face, and a carnifex isnt going to hit anything important until at least next turn, what do you shoot? The trygon of course.

Now if youve got a trygon and a fex running up the feild, what do you shoot? You either fire on both and risk not killing either, or focus fire and leave one of them unchecked.

Then you make this harder by throwing other units into the mix. Eg youve got a missle launcher. Now you could shoot it at the trygon, but theres a zoanthrope over there, and the rest of the squad has more of a chance to wound that. Or do you try and put some more wounds on that flyrant thats causing problems over by your objectives? Its situations like that that force opponents to make mistakes, which you have to abuse to maximum potential.
    Last edited by Heirodule; January 24th, 2010 at 22:51.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think some long-ranged support may help you out too. A stranglethorn cannon or heavy venom cannon on something will help. A Tyrannofex with a rupture cannon will get all your opponent's attention, though it's horribly expensive. Try sending in other deepstrikers like Mycetic spores (Zoanthropes look great in spores) and things like outflanking Genestealers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have one built so far but I've found it to be very handy in a fight. DS it around out of sight and then bring it in with its fleet roll. Or you can use it as a distraction. A lot of people have a kneejerk reaction to something that big being placed on the table and will target it with everything even if it isn't the biggest threat. Use this to your advantage and put it in places where it isn't the easiest thing to target but key units are able to. Cover is nice. Usually an opponent will try for it anyway. then when they fail to kill it, regen if you can spare the points, Tervigon feel no pain helps too. Next turn move fleet shoot then charge (with tervigon power!) and start wiping units off of the table.
    I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without anyone questioning its intentions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

My big guys are there literally to draw fire away from the 120+ small beasties I have running across the table. If they can knock a few of the enemies models flying then happy days, but at T6 with W6 it takes a hell of alot of firepower to kill something like that. In a recent game my friend shot 6 squads of 12 fire warriors at two of my Trygons. That many shots could have decimated my smaller squads, leaving his suits to take out my bigger things.

I do love taking MC's because it keeps your smaller and in my opinion, more important units alive.

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Always been about quantity with the bugs. So far my favourite tactic is to take two tyrants with the hive comm ability and just deepstrike the horde. Spores keep You safe and Trygons have Sub terranean assualt which keeps them safe. everything arriving at once inches away is a sure way to watch your opponents eyes bulge. And if your up against an ork or IG army for minimal points give your pods cluster spines to thin the opposing herd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast